Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Tennessee must-win?

9,733 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Matt788
StrykerAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know we have South Carolina next, but after seeing the Vols come roaring back, I get the sinking feeling that they might hand us our first loss. The media is gonna gobble it up. They keep reminding everyone that we started off 5-0 the past 2 years only to collapse, and saying we should hold off excitement, but then they're also saying we are Alabama's biggest threat. If we start 5-0 again and lose back to back against UT and Bama, will it get to the players and weigh them down the rest of the season, or is this team equipped mentally to bounce back? Does a 6-0 start take off some of the pressure before a showdown in Tuscaloosa?
gocobra
AG
Let me think about that.

kbarj
AG
I am starting to sip the kool-aid, so they are all must-wins now.
Dr Lane Trowlan
They're all must wins.
AceAggie05
AG
Th worst thing a team can have is doubt. It will make a team miss reads, or doubt assignments

That said, I think Trevor is experienced enough to not let one or two games get to him
Talon2DSO
AG
I hope our guys have the maturity and character to know that all games are a must win and that each game is 60 minutes. 30 minutes of adversity does not make a complete game. There still are 30 more minutes of gametime left to seal the deal.
mwp02ag
AG
The past two years have taught me:

1. Ranking means nothing until the last ones are out
2. Focus on the game at hand. That's it.
3. It's much more fun to watch without the anxiety of believing your team is finally on its way only to be crushed with a loss that should have been a win.

I saw a writer on Twitter who was writing about us and Bama alread. **** that! Let's get past coach boom first.
ToddyHill
AG
OK, I'll bite. And yes, I acknowledge I'm drinking the Kool Aid. First, I have to admit I do follow the Vols...it's easy to do when you live in their back yard.

I am of the opinion we'll easily handle Tennessee...and here's why:

Our run defense will shut down their ability to run the ball.
Our defensive ends will put so much pressure on Dobbs that he'll throw at least three interceptions.

Ags win going away.

CrottyKid
AG
Let's worry about putting a 50 spot on Muschump, first.
MassAggie97
AG
Tell me again who Tennessee has beaten?
The offense is extremely vanilla. Florida is overrated as an opponent.
FriscoAg
AG
South Carolina is a must win! Not sure who we play after that. I'm enjoying the Arkansas game the rear of this week and then looking forward to watching this amazing team take the field again Saturday.
Bottlehead90
AG
I remember my first season

Enjoy the wins
TyHolden
AG
Trump winning debate is a must tonight. Worry about scar afterwards. UT is light years away.
Traveler
AG
quote:

3. It's much more fun to watch without the anxiety of believing your team is finally on its way only to be crushed with a loss that should have been a win.

I saw a writer on Twitter who was writing about us and Bama alread. **** that! Let's get past coach boom first.

Exactly. Look at the home page of Texags. About 4 of the ark game recap articles have "Alabama" in the Title. Don't these people learn??
amercer
AG
Home game = disappoint
Schrute
South Carolina is a must win. Never, ever overlook an SEC team. This isn't the BDF. Every team has talent and road games are tough.

This week's mindset in practice is where the leadership of people like Trevor Knight make a huge difference.
chipotle
I think we can blow this game off.
Hulla Baller
AG
Let's just send the practice squad to the SC game. Why even play our starters?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
All I know is, win the next two games and there is no excuse for not being top 5.

We already have a better resume than many teams above us. Houston and Stanford should be below us.
Ian Neff
AG
Make sure you pay attention to what I am saying.

We will beat TN worse than we did Arky.

WILL KILL THEM.
swc93
AG
Every Season....

Start preseason - "What does the team look like? Are we good?" Small sips of kool aide after reading 12th Man articles.

3-0, 4-0 - "I think we are good, we might have something! IT COULD BE HAPPENING!" MNC dreams keep you awake at night. Tension makes games barely enjoyable to watch; builds with each win.

First loss - "No MNC. But we can still win Conference!"

2nd conference loss - "We can still go Bowling (or Bowing)!"

Bowl Game loss - "We'll that sucks, can't wait for signing day and next year."

rinse/repeat
halfastros81
AG
Technically.... no .... I don't think Tennessee is a must win game to win the Conference Championship or even the National Championship.

If the Ags were outscored by Tennessee and Won every other game then they'd win the SECW based on a head to head win over our SECW competitors.

Ags would play in the Conference Championship game and if they win that they are almost assured to be in the Top 4 and playing in the 2 game playoff.

Practically speaking imo, if we can't beat Tennessee at home then we aren't capable of winning the rest of our games. They are not even the toughest home game imo. Ole Miss is.
8T2
quote:

The last several years I had gotten so caught up in the chase that I could not even watch an entire game. I would leave the room, thinking I was jinxing the team. This year, I have finally said, "**** it. Let the chips fall where they may." I have enjoyed pretty much every game since then, including Saturday's butt whipping of Arkansas.

Enjoy the ride.
Tylerjo97
AG
quote:
Every Season....

Start preseason - "What does the team look like? Are we good?" Small sips of kool aide after reading 12th Man articles.

3-0, 4-0 - "I think we are good, we might have something! IT COULD BE HAPPENING!" MNC dreams keep you awake at night. Tension makes games barely enjoyable to watch; builds with each win.

rinse/repeat
We've lost one bowl game in the last five years.
Schrute
quote:
quote:

The last several years I had gotten so caught up in the chase that I could not even watch an entire game. I would leave the room, thinking I was jinxing the team. This year, I have finally said, "**** it. Let the chips fall where they may." I have enjoyed pretty much every game since then, including Saturday's butt whipping of Arkansas.

Enjoy the ride.
It all started with my low expectations going into the season. When I do this, it seems I enjoy the season much more. I'm trying my best to keep those expectations low, but this team is making it hard to do so - and good on them for doing that (and proving me wrong).
Windy City Ag
AG
I watched Mike Sherman lose to Arkansas State

I watched all of our 1996 loss to Louisian Lafayette (then SW Louisiana)

I was in the stands in Norman when we lost 77-0.

I have learned to just enjoy each game and not fall to pieces when we underperform. Everything else is wasted energy.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Tennessee plays up or down to their competition. It will be a close game.
FriendlyAg
quote:
Every Season....

rinse/repeat

If you couldn't see that a Kyle Allen lead Aggies were a vulnerable and beatable team, that's on you. He was still an under classmen. This team has more maturity and leadership. We may not play for the conference or make playoffs, but I think this team has the tools to be in the hunt more so then the last few years. This year will prove that all along we had the pieces just needed leadership, vision, a little coaching help, and another year to let our team mature.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
It all started with my low expectations going into the season. When I do this, it seems I enjoy the season much more. I'm trying my best to keep those expectations low, but this team is making it hard to do so - and good on them for doing that (and proving me wrong).
+1 on all of this.
drcrinum
Never play to lose.
Agsuffering@bulaw
The media does not "trust" us. The media normally "trusts" SEC programs like L$U and UGA. UGA is obviously down. L$U looks troubled. OM is a relative newcomer. Tenn has been inconsistent since Fulmer left. They might "trust" UF when the starting QB gets healthy.

So Bama is the only SEC program the media "trusts" today. The media will judge the 2016 team by how it performs against Bama.

Lose a competitive game by a TD, and the media will acknowledge that we are for real. Until then, very few pundits are willing to risk us making them look bad. Nobody got fired for buying IBM!

And I kind of do not blame them- chemistry is not something that shows up in the stats and is very hard to find on film, until it explodes. We have had such bad chemistry problems, which the media was incapable of detecting until too late.
NathanChristie
AG
Not to look past USCe but the UT game looks a whole lot tougher than it did 3 weeks ago. If they can roar back against that Florida defense, the can score on anyone. Their QB reminds me of Dak Prescott from 2 years ago.
txagssweetie2014
Must win
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
I'm a little worried. After this weekend it's the first time I feel like we have a legit shot at an SEC run. Up to this point I've been cautiously optimistic. Unfortunately they don't hand out championships for 2-0. I hope whatever has been driving this team these first few weeks stays with them going forward. We still have our four toughest games left on the schedule.
90ags
One game at a time
Never look past your next opponent
Worry about lingering injuries to Garrett, Evans and RSJ (need all of them healthy)
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.