Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Interesting article about Blow U and the SEC

34,714 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggiehawg
DayAg!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
quote:

AgEngr12
AG
quote:
I think this would be a really good thing...

SEC West
1) A&M
2) OU
3) KU
4) MU
5) ARK
6) LSU
7) Miss
8) Miss St

SEC East
1) Bama
2) Auburn
3) UK
4) Vandy
5) UT
6) GA
7) SCar
8) UF

It may not make short term money sense, but it might make LONG term money sense as it will facilitate the death of the Big 12.
OU likely wouldn't go to the SEC without OSU, and I think they'd rather be in the B1G 1st, PAC w/Texas 2nd, SEC 3rd.

Kansas has a snowballs chance in hell of getting an SEC invite. Not only does there football program suck beyond all belief, they are a TERRIBLE cultural fit. You think SEC fans are upset with Mizzou being in there conference, wait until you tell them Kansas is joining.
kammrath
AG
quote:
quote:
In defense of the poster above with the map, adding KU and OU basketball to the SEC would make the SEC a powerhouse in all three major sports, every year, without question. Maybe not something that would necessarily pay off monetarily, but interesting anyhow.

And beyond the money having yet another power team like OU in football raises the bar competitively for everyone in the conference.

I don't really understand why people on Texags feel like they have to focus 100% on the negative aspects of something like this.
it's because most folks on texags have a vested interest in keeping advantages over former rivals. if oklahoma comes to the SEC, they then gain the recruiting advantage of having good commits that say things like "i wanted to play in the SEC but still be close to home", like a&m has had the last few years.

why strengthen your enemy if you have a choice??
Because you are taking out a whole series of other enemies in the process, including taking out tu's lap-dog conference.
technoviking
AG
i'm not following you on this one. our recruiting rivals OU and texas are sitting in the power conference equivalent of purgatory: the highly dysfunctional big 12.

if we help to eradicate that purgatory and they go to conferences with better tv deals and more prime time exposure that kids watch at home, in addition to having better chances to make the playoff due to stronger strengths of schedule as well as a conference championship; are we not strengthening them?

baylor has destroyed themselves. if tcu loses patterson they will fall to earth at critical velocity.

i would much rather keep all of these folks locked in the basement.
dave94
AG
It's also not our mission nor the SEC's to "destroy" the Big 12. Let's just take care of our own business.
MassAggie97
AG
We already compete with OU for every single recruit. OU is a "name" team that has been in the NC game multiple times under Stoops and won it once. I would argue that whatever recruiting bump they might enjoy from joining the SEC (which I think is a little overblown) would be offset by the increased stature of the rest of the conference as a whole.

If you're going to add a school to the conference, it makes sense to add one that has a proven record of long-term greatness in your signature sport.

technoviking
AG
i disagree that adding OU would increase the stature of the SEC. the SEC's stature is already where it needs to be. and I also disagree with the idea that being in the SEC is not a recruiting tool in and of itself. i have seen too many recruits commit to a&m that said: "I wanted to play in the SEC"
kammrath
AG
quote:
i'm not following you on this one. our recruiting rivals OU and texas are sitting in the power conference equivalent of purgatory: the highly dysfunctional big 12.

if we help to eradicate that purgatory and they go to conferences with better tv deals and more prime time exposure that kids watch at home, in addition to having better chances to make the playoff due to stronger strengths of schedule as well as a conference championship; are we not strengthening them?

baylor has destroyed themselves. if tcu loses patterson they will fall to earth at critical velocity.

I think we fail to realize that the very weakness of the Big12 IS a big draw for recruits. OU and tu have the easiest path of any schools to one conference title after another. Anywhere else and that does not happen.
technoviking
AG
quote:
quote:

I think we fail to realize that the very weakness of the Big12 IS a big draw for recruits. OU and tu have the easiest path of any schools to one conference title after another. Anywhere else and that does not happen.
that sounds all gravy every year until conference title week comes around.
aggiehawg
AG
From the landthieves conference realignment thread:

Agsuffering@bulaw
quote:
it might make LONG term money sense as it will facilitate the death of the Big 12.

We want the BDF to last for as long as possible. The BDF is suppressing both ou and tu. ou and tu are the only true local competition we face for recruits throughout the state

1. ou's recruiting in TX has been down badly since A&M SECeeded*
2. Recruits see the BDF as a 2nd rate conference- it effects tu's recruiting
3. Some recruits will not pick A&M b/c our culture weirds them out
4. Some recruits will go to a lesser program that promises PT right away
5. Some recruits will go to a lesser program to avoid a position change
6. Bama, U$Cw or whichever program is on top will cherry-pick a few top recruits annually

For the FIRST time in History, A&M has a structural advantage over the sips and an EVEN BIGGER Structural Advantage over ou. We need to use that advantage to build our brand and facilities so strong that they can NEVER shift things against us again.

That means fighting tooth and nail against anyone from the BDF joining the SEC.

--------details--------
*The numbers are staggering. ou used to get around a dozen Rivals 4 and 5 star recruits a year, just from the State of Texas. Now, ou recruits the thugs out of CA that USC and UCLA will not touch. They recruit the thugs from other non-SEC states as well.
ntxVol
quote:
In defense of the poster above with the map, adding KU and OU basketball to the SEC would make the SEC a powerhouse in all three major sports, every year, without question. Maybe not something that would necessarily pay off monetarily, but interesting anyhow.

And beyond the money having yet another power team like OU in football raises the bar competitively for everyone in the conference.

I don't really understand why people on Texags feel like they have to focus 100% on the negative aspects of something like this.
If you ignore the negatives then you''re back to the "Wouldn't it be neat" argument.

The next round of major conference realignment will be fraught with all sorts of political dynamite. The SEC wants no part of that. Some schools will be left behind and they will be kicking, screaming and clinging to coattails until someone has to bash them in the head with a baseball bat to break free.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Basketball = Part I of the Offseason (Followed by Baseball, then Boredom)

Bonfire 1996 wrote the bible on Realignment. Read it. Football is king. Football makes the lion's share of the money.
MassAggie97
AG
quote:
i disagree that adding OU would increase the stature of the SEC. the SEC's stature is already where it needs to be.
Agree to disagree. By your logic, Google should've rejected the opportunity to acquire Android because "they're already pretty great". The more big-name, high-profile schools attached to our conference (and detached from others, BTW), the better our entire conference is, and the higher profile.

quote:
and I also disagree with the idea that being in the SEC is not a recruiting tool in and of itself. i have seen too many recruits commit to a&m that said: "I wanted to play in the SEC"
I didn't say it wasn't a recruiting tool. I just said it's overblown. While many recruits probably know that the SEC is perceived as superior, I also think conference affiliation is pretty far down on the list of reasons that a recruit picks a school. And many of the times I've heard recruits mention the SEC in press conferences or interviews the question asked was something along the lines of "how much did being able to compete in the SEC factor into your decision".
Junction1956
quote:
yeah everything is neat and cool in utopia.

somebody (anybody) tell me the incentive for SEC to go to 16 teams......i'll wait......<crickets>

there are not 2 teams anywhere (that are really available and want to move) that bring enough to the table as far as revenue. period. not in the current model. until something changes this is a non starter.

The SEC goes to 16 if Virginia and North Carolina become available. Why?

TV markets are better than OU (that the SEC already has.)

Moot point since the ACC has the conference locked up their own GOR.

OU brings nothing. OSU brings nothing. Why dilute conference shares?

Roll Tide
Agsuffering@bulaw
Massaggie- It is about risk/reward. Right now, the SEC is winning big. The Future of the industry could go in a lot of different directions. Adding ou would be good for the conference in some future scenarios, disastrous in others. Furthermore, stealing ou, even if possible, has the risk of setting off another round of expansion. Were that dust to settle the wrong way, the SEC could lose the upperhand.

-------TLDR Details (premises)-------

1. Nobody knows what impact cord-cutting will have on the industry. The industry could shrink dramatically. It might not.

2. Stealing ou would kill the BDF. What would tu do. What would oSu do? What would the other programs do. Would they set off big lawsuits? Would tu and Kansas join the B1G? Would tu bring a bunch of teams to the PAC? Would the non-SEC programs consolidate further into some sort of anti-SEC superconference (with the money-losing programs kicked to the curb)?

Kemo Sabe
OU doesn't have the votes to get in. If you are not going to enlarge the pie, you need not apply. OU had a chance back in '11 but they pissed it off and stayed with tu. A mistake that it took our admin years to learn from. So no need of writing these inane articles because it is not going to happen. They need to stick with the sips and make the best of it, no need of crying through the media to other conferences about gaining admittance.

Look at the big10. They took in Nebraska which brought nothing with them in the way of tv revenue. So when the big10 saw tv renegotiation on the horizon they went and got Rutgers (Jersey) and Maryland to enlarge the pie for television revenue. Think about that. Rutgers and Maryland. OU and OSU weren't even on the Richter scale. They didn't move the needle at all. Now why would the SEC want two more western schools in flyover country. It's a non-starter for the SEC.

Yep those vaunted programs of Rutgers and Maryland really added to the big10 lineup of Purdue, northwestern, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, and Pen state which fill out the cannon fodder requirements for Ohio state, Michigan, Michigan state, and Wisconsin. 70% of the big10 match-ups have no appeal in the south or the far left in this country. Nobody watches Indiana vs Illinois anywhere outside of Indiana and Illinois. It's is slow motion football in real time. It doesn't matter if it has a tv venue or not, nobody anywhere else in the country is going to watch it. It is 11:00 o'clock football at best aka filler football. Maybe OU and OSU can apply there and form the "unheard of" division of big10 football. They have a dearth of uninteresting match ups in the western division of big10 football.
Bottlehead90
AG
Wasn't the big12 formed by ou and tu? And now they want out?
F them
They made their bed.

tu gets a lot of criticism for being a drama queen and a cancer and rightfully so, but ou deserves some criticism too for their actions.
They have already tried to bolt to the pac12 twice.
malenurse
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I think this would be a really good thing...

SEC West
1) A&M
2) OU
3) KU
4) MU
5) ARK
6) LSU
7) Miss
8) Miss St

SEC East
1) Bama
2) Auburn
3) UK
4) Vandy
5) UT
6) GA
7) SCar
8) UF

It may not make short term money sense, but it might make LONG term money sense as it will facilitate the death of the Big 12.
There will never be a world where Bama and LSU don't play each other every year.

Or a world where KU football sniffs the SEC. Hoops is not a big enough revenue generator to offset that.

i.e., this is a ridiculous hypothetical.
1) Bama and LSU would be every year cross-division rivals as Bama would then be in the same division with their current cross-division rival. Come on man, think.

2) The SEC could use a boost in basketball and another patsy in football. Also KU is an AAU school. Also it is a geographically connected state. It actually fits the criteria just laid out by the SEC commissioner himself.

3) The redoing of the division lines would make a ton of sense both competitive wise and also geographically with travel and such.

I am in no way suggesting it would happen, but the idea is far from "ridiculous."
You're right. It's not ridiculous, it's absolutely stupid.
Thor77
AG
IMO -- Don't want OU in SEC. If there is going to be a discussion then how about this?----- OU must first agree to forever end the RRR with tu if admitted to SEC before any other discussions or negotiations take place. Be interested to see how much that game means or not. Still wouldn't want OU in SEC, but let's make it painful to some degree to even have a discussion.

DayAg!
S
quote:

You remember for the umpteenth time how many on here have stated that everyone in the BDF keep confessing what they want to happen, not realizing what is gonna happen. Well, we told you clowns that OU isnt joining the SEC. Most bloggers turned journalists continue to try and drive the narrative. It's kinda like telling the same lie long enough and it becomes truth. But in this case OU is a pathetic begger still under the bridge. And all the so called journalists coming out of Okie spewing this stuff aint gonna convince anyone any time soon.

Get it through your thick heads. OU and TV money should not be used in the same sentence. Just watch the ratings for the Red River pillow fight this year. Then you'll understand. Why would any AD in the SEC be stupid enough to vote for something that would dilute their income. And give a life sucker a full cut and not bring anything to the table. Just because the BDF is full of life suckers doesnt mean the SEC has to add one. I wish they would get this through their thick heads and stop repeating what they want to happen, all the while forgetting what is gonna happen.
BuenAg
OU and Kansas to the SEC makes sense in so many ways.

(Assuming that the SEC can't get to 16 by adding a couple of ACC schools like North Carolina and Virginia Tech.)

If the SEC wants it to happen, there's probably not much that could be done to stop it. Similarly, I'm not sure that Oklahoma State could do much to prevent it, either.
technoviking
AG
because just the oklahoma name is enough to strengthen the conference! they add all sorts of prestige! that's worth waaaay more than money!
dave94
AG
quote:
IMO -- Don't want OU in SEC. If there is going to be a discussion then how about this?----- OU must first agree to forever end the RRR with tu if admitted to SEC before any other discussions or negotiations take place. Be interested to see how much that game means or not. Still wouldn't want OU in SEC, but let's make it painful to some degree to even have a discussion.

What would be the point of that? Why force the end of a long-time rivalry game? What is to gain?
PJYoung
AG
quote:

(Assuming that the SEC can't get to 16 by adding a couple of ACC schools like North Carolina and Virginia Tech.)

If the SEC wants it to happen, there's probably not much that could be done to stop it. Similarly, I'm not sure that Oklahoma State could do much to prevent it, either.

And the SEC wants to get to 16 teams why?
TXAggie2011
AG

quote:
Get it through your thick heads. OU and TV money should not be used in the same sentence. Just watch the ratings for the Red River pillow fight this year. Then you'll understand. Why would any AD in the SEC be stupid enough to vote for something that would dilute their income. And give a life sucker a full cut and not bring anything to the table. Just because the BDF is full of life suckers doesnt mean the SEC has to add one. I wish they would get this through their thick heads and stop repeating what they want to happen, all the while forgetting what is gonna happen.

If bolded part is any indication, you're not living in facts.

Last year, the Red River Rivalry game had the highest TV rating for any game that weekend.

That was with both schools coming off lackluster seasons.

Oklahoma was ranked 10th by that point, but still weren't viewed as the playoff contender they turned out to be. And the Longhorns of course were 1-4 coming off getting their ass kicked by 43 points by TCU.

Oklahoma is viewed as a great program, historically and presently, by most of those outside a few select cities in Texas and Oklahoma.

And I think you've got a very think head yourself if you believe OU playing the likes of Alabama and LSU and other SEC programs wouldn't draw some excellent TV ratings.

Now, do I think OU is coming to the SEC? No. I'm not saying that at all.
DayAg!
S
quote:
Last year, the Red River Rivalry game had the highest TV rating for any game that weekend.
You realize that was because of all the Ags watchin to see tu get their beatdown which didnt happen. If A&M would have been head up with that game they would have won hands down. I still stand by my statements past. OU brings nothing to the SEC. And would dilute everyone else's money without adding much at all.
Joe Exotic
AG
If OU/Texas is such a ratings bonanza why is it being moved to FS1 this year?
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:

Adding OU and KU costs the SEC money.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Big deal. A 3.8 rating on a week with very few good matchups. Actually that was the overnight estimate. If you look up the final ratings it was a very pedestrian 3.3.

Some other comparisons
Iowa Nebrasksa drew a 3.9
Army Navy 4.5
OSU Indiana 4.3

You think those are some marquee matchups?

Of course a bunch of good b10 and sec games exceeded it. It was probably 50th rated game of the year. And that's one game. No other game either of them played in surpassed it except OU postseason game.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
If OU/Texas is such a ratings bonanza why is it being moved to FS1 this year?

I'm sure part of it is trying to grow FS1 into a challenger to ESPN.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Big deal. A 3.8 rating on a week with very few good matchups. Actually that was the overnight estimate. If you look up the final ratings it was a very pedestrian 3.3.

Some other comparisons
Iowa Nebrasksa drew a 3.9
Army Navy 4.5
OSU Indiana 4.3

You think those are some marquee matchups?

Of course a bunch of good b10 and sec games exceeded it. It was probably 50th rated game of the year. And that's one game. No other game either of them played in surpassed it except OU postseason game.

It ended up just about at the average of SEC om CBS game.
Agsuffering@bulaw
rrs drew a 3.3, it was a national telecast and had nothing halfway watchable to compete with at 11 am.

Later that day:

UGA/Tenn drew a 3.0 competing with Wisc/Neb or GT/Clemsux (2.2), ND/Navy (1.7), and L$U/SCe (no ratings b/c cable, but drew 2.6 million viewers, just 39k viewers less than ND)

Then primetime:

Bama/Arkie (2.9) competing with Miami/F$U (2.3), TCU/KState (1.8), oSu/WV (cable, 1.157 viewers)

Some other big draws:

The SECCG drew a 7.6
The Iron Bowl drew a 5.3
Bama/Miss St drew a 3.4 (And MSU was down last year)
LSU/Bama drew a 6.4
UGA/UF drew a 3.1 (UGA was clearly down at that point)
Tenn/Bama drew a 4.3
Florida/L$U 3.9
Bama/A&M 3.6

TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
You realize that was because of all the Ags watchin to see tu get their beatdown which didnt happen. If A&M would have been head up with that game they would have won hands down.

Okay, boss.
el_guapo
To a Thinker, this makes no financial sense and no recruiting sense. We have something to offer a recruit that is different than a BDF team - playing SEC teams vs BDF teams. This is huge. Also, OU dilutes the tv revenue based on the way the model is today.

To a Feeler, this makes sense. OU has a "national brand". "It would be fun to watch an OU/whoever else SEC game."

Thinker logic far outweighs Feeler logic in this case.

Yes, it would make sense for OU. But not for A&M and the SEC.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.