Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Money Magazine's view of A&M

17,181 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by VanZandt92
champagnepapi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Football related cause the 12th Man foundation needs students who make money later.

705 Best Value Colleges based on Quality of Eduacation, Affordability and Outcomes:

#13, (sips #50)

Highest ranking colleges that typicallly admit at least half their applicants:

#1, 2014 Acceptance Rate: 71% (#diplomamill)

aggie67,74&76
Dazed and Confused
AG
45% of those freshman enrolled in 2015 are automatic admits due to 10% rule.
https://dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Reports/Student/files/EPFA15.aspx
Captain Augustus McCrae
Money Magazine's college ranking is a joke. Clemson is ranked higher than several Ivy League schools for example. It's a click bait ranking based on cheap tuition. USN&WR or GTFO.
Maroon Dawn
AG
quote:
Money Magazine's college ranking is a joke. Clemson is ranked higher than several Ivy League schools for example. It's a click bait ranking based on cheap tuition. USN&WR or GTFO.

The ranking that bases half its points on a popularity contest and how much you spend on napkins at the dining hall and whose entire premise is "Harvard is the best, therefore the more different you are from Harvard, the worse your school is"

Yeah USNWR is totally legit.

Meanwhile, give me an engineering degree from Clemson that lets me earn big bucks with little debt vs half a million in debt on a worthless lib arts degree from Dartmouth.
AggieCVQ
quote:
quote:

The ranking that bases half its points on a popularity contest and how much you spend on napkins at the dining hall and whose entire premise is "Harvard is the best, therefore the more different you are from Harvard, the worse your school is"

Meanwhile, give me an engineering degree from Clemson that lets me earn big bucks with little debt vs half a million in debt on a worthless lib arts degree from Dartmouth.

Those liberal arts majors at Ivy Leagues end up in Wall Street.

Believe it or not, any Ivy League student can easily do A&Ms engineering curriculum. What you're paying for is the name and protection against devaluation which happens at state schools who bloat up their programs. I can't think of one that's doing that right now.
FullDraw
AG
No way in HELL I believe that.
Most of the liberal arts grads I know end up professional students or working for someone else who didn't get a liberal arts education.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Most of the liberal arts grads I know end up professional students or working for someone else who didn't get a liberal arts education.

Where did these liberal art students go to school and what did they do after graduate school?

And you can easily look up where many liberal art students from good or better schools end up and yes, it often is Wall Street.
Sparkie
AG
quote:
Believe it or not, any Ivy League student can easily do A&Ms engineering curriculum. What you're paying for is the name and protection against devaluation which happens at state schools who bloat up their programs. I can't think of one that's doing that right now.
You to pay for the networking. The hardest part of of an Ivy college is getting accepted. Getting out is fairly easy with all the grade inflation.

The Boston Globe covered this back in the early 2000, but the inflation continues.

College / Average GPA
Yale / 3.866
Notre Dame / 3.887
Princeton / 3.890
Rice / 3.892
Duke / 3.911
88jrt06
AG
quote:

So stop hanging out with the dumbass LA grads; of course the smart ones will be out of your league....
Sparkie
AG
quote:
And you can easily look up where many liberal art students from good or better schools end up and yes, it often is Wall Street.

This report makes it sound like your full of ***** Want to share the data supporting your basis?

Business Insider

They gathered data on 840 finance professionals in New York at the analyst, associate, vice president, and director level.

Emolument found that, while the clear majority of Wall Street professionals studied something related to finance, there are definitely a few history and geography majors out there.

TXAggie2011
AG
So what you're telling me is you don't understand what "liberal arts" even is?

Hint: Economics (26% of your graph) and some things "related to finance" are liberal arts.
Sparkie
AG
75% Business

TXAggie2011
AG
Again, you don't understand what liberal arts is, do you?

And I'm sure its not breaking news that yes, many Ivy Leaguers study...business.
Sparkie
AG
quote:
If you want to use the broad sense of the definition (math, biology, chemistry, economics, ect..), name a degree program that is not liberal arts?

Sparkie
AG

TXAggie2011,

Why did you make edits above where you proclaimed your knowledge of liberal arts degrees by listing engineering?
champagnepapi
What the report is going for is getting the most bang for your buck.

Aka

You paid less to get to where you strive to be yet went to a legitimate school.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:

TXAggie2011,

Why did you make edits above where you proclaimed your knowledge of liberal arts degrees by listing engineering?

I certainly never listed engineering.

As an engineering graduate myself, I'm well aware it was not liberal arts.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
If you want to use the broad sense of the definition (math, biology, chemistry, economics, ect..), name a degree program that is not liberal arts?

Economics is classic liberal arts...and that's why it's a major component of most liberal arts colleges, including the one at Texas A&M.

Either way, it's not the point really, whether it is or is not liberal arts. The point is it is what a lot of Ivy Leaguers study, and it's what takes a lot of them to Wall Street.
Post removed:
by user
northeastag
AG
I've been working on wall street for about 30 years now. I've got an MBA from an Ivy (Columbia), and my daughter got her undergrad from Cornell (now in medical school). Most Ivy students are either pre-med, pre-law, or pre-MBA, period. True, a huge number of Ivy's go to wall street, but my institution won't look at them unless there have some finance, economics, or accounting coursework because we can't take the time to train them from the ground up (although many of the Banks will). We hire most of our entry level candidates from non-Ivy schools if they have the right coursework and make-up.

That said,, within my department, we have graduates from all the major Ivy league schools except for Princeton (including many MBA from Penn, Columbia, and Harvard), a ton of state school grads, and many from smaller less prestigious private schools. You would never be able to tell who went to what school based on performance alone, or who studied what (after a couple of years).

I'd love to have some more A&M grads coming through the pipeline, so anyone reading this please contact me if you know an upcoming graduate with the right qualifications. We do our recruiting in the fall for following years grads, and we also have a special reverence for veterans (there is an employee Veterans group that is trying to boost recruiting).
champagnepapi
quote:
I've been working on wall street for about 30 years now. I've got an MBA from an Ivy (Columbia), and my daughter got her undergrad from Cornell (now in medical school). Most Ivy students are either pre-med, pre-law, or pre-MBA, period. True, a huge number of Ivy's go to wall street, but my institution won't look at them unless there have some finance, economics, or accounting coursework because we can't take the time to train them from the ground up (although many of the Banks will). We hire most of our entry level candidates from non-Ivy schools if they have the right coursework and make-up.

That said,, within my department, we have graduates from all the major Ivy league schools except for Princeton (including many MBA from Penn, Columbia, and Harvard), a ton of state school grads, and many from smaller less prestigious private schools. You would never be able to tell who went to what school based on performance alone, or who studied what (after a couple of years).

I'd love to have some more A&M grads coming through the pipeline, so anyone reading this please contact me if you know an upcoming graduate with the right qualifications. We do our recruiting in the fall for following years grads, and we also have a special reverence for veterans (there is an employee Veterans group that is trying to boost recruiting).

What kind of educational background do you look for in Veterans? I received a Supply Chain Management degree from Mays in 2012. I am about to pin Captain in the Army. Plan on staying in for a while...MAJ/LTC....just wasn't sure on the pool of Veterans you pull from.
Inspector Javert
USN&WR is pretty spare too. One of my business school profs at SMU was making fun of them the other day and the criteria that has nothing to do with the classroom. He said the best ones were the ones the London Times puts out world wide. A little less us bias mostly looking at the numbers and the faculty and how influential their work is (citations in other papers, speeches etc)
Aston04
AG
quote:
quote:
You to pay for the networking. The hardest part of of an Ivy college is getting accepted. Getting out is fairly easy with all the grade inflation.

The Boston Globe covered this back in the early 2000, but the inflation continues.

College / Average GPA
Yale / 3.866
Notre Dame / 3.887
Princeton / 3.890
Rice / 3.892
Duke / 3.911

I realize there is grade inflation and the hard part is getting in.. but I don't buy those "averages" for a second. I would like to see a link verifying profs at Duke are giving out 10 As for every 1 B (nevermind one C would make that ratio 20 As to 1 C). BS.
Aston04
AG
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/12/05/with-its-most-common-grade-harvard-earns-disapproval-but-has-company/kCeheDYfuDjSRcM1sVljfK/story.html

The real data.
AggieCVQ
Until A&M puts out a fraction of the business leaders, top researchers, Nobel laureates, doctors, presidents, successful politicians, or authors that Harvard does, then I don't think it's fair to critique how they're grading their students. Because obviously their grading methodology works.
Science Denier
AG
Lmao

Survey 1 - ranks colleges based on professor salaries
Survey 2 - ranks colleges based on success of its graduates

I'll take survey 2.
aglaes
AG

northeastag - my son is Econ major at A&M, starting his Jr yr this fall. He has a 3.95 GPA and his dream is to work on Wall Street. He would very much like to do an internship on Wall Street next summer. I'm sure he would be very interested in making contact with you if you could possibly help him..

My email is aglaes@aol.com
jml2621
quote:
quote:

You're probably working for one now if you are employed by a sizeable company...or they protect the co. from massive lawsuits.
OrygunAg
AG
Maybe it's just me but way too much emphasis on degree...in my experience 2-3 years out nobody will gaf where you went, what your degree is or what your gpa is. But youll still have those loans if you borrowed.
jml2621
quote:
So what you're telling me is you don't understand what "liberal arts" even is?

Hint: Economics (26% of your graph) and some things "related to finance" are liberal arts.

An Ivy Leaguer with a liberal arts degree interested in Wall Street and business then gets a JD or MBA.
jml2621
quote:
Maybe it's just me but way too much emphasis on degree...in my experience 2-3 years out nobody will gaf where you went, what your degree is or what your gpa is. But youll still have those loans if you borrowed.

A family that earns $60k or less can go to an Ivy League school or a Duke for virtually free - they actually use their endowment to provide financial support and scholarships to smart kids with brains and accomplishment who come from less well-off families.

AggieCVQ
quote:

True. But companies target graduates at certain schools. There's no harm in improving every ranking possible in order to preserve or increase the opportunities for future Aggies.

They're family.

And bickering about whether we are good in ranking A or B is meaningless.

We should improve in all of them, not for us who have jobs, but for those who are seeking some form of employment and intend to graduate as a Fightin' Texas Aggie.
Sparkie
AG
quote:
I realize there is grade inflation and the hard part is getting in.. but I don't buy those "averages" for a second. I would like to see a link verifying profs at Duke are giving out 10 As for every 1 B (nevermind one C would make that ratio 20 As to 1 C). BS.
I pulled the original numbers from the following link: Ivy Gpa

The author claims to have pulled the data from a few sources including the National Center for Education Statistics. NCES

Also keep in mind that some Ivy League schools have very different grading systems.

This makes for a fun read: Grade Inflation

quote:
At Duke, a high inflator, the average graduate's GPA has migrated from a C+/B- to an A-.

2nd Source for Grades

Since you are so worried about Duke, where they are in relation to grade inflation:

Sparkie
AG
Aston04,

quote:
I realize there is grade inflation and the hard part is getting in.. but I don't buy those "averages" for a second. I would like to see a link verifying profs at Duke are giving out 10 As for every 1 B (nevermind one C would make that ratio 20 As to 1 C). BS
You call b.s. about Duke and proclaim to have the real data but provide a link to Harvard. Confused much?
quote:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/12/05/with-its-most-common-grade-harvard-earns-disapproval-but-has-company/kCeheDYfuDjSRcM1sVljfK/story.html

The real data.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.