Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Myles power cleans 440?

28,649 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Clem
space_treadmill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/gallery/top-20-freaks-in-college-football-for-2016-bruce-feldman-myles-garrett-leonard-fournette-072716

"Myles Garrett, Texas A&M, DE
The SEC's leader in sacks (12.5), tackles for loss (19.5) and forced fumbles (five) despite seeing an array of double teams, Garrett has more than lived up to his enormous recruiting hype. Listed at 6-5, 262, Garrett's got the chiseled physique of a DB a huge DB. The junior has off-the-charts workout numbers. He told me this month he power cleans 440 pounds and bench-presses 485 staggering when you consider he also has a 40-inch vertical and his fastest 40 time at A&M, he said, is 4.45. "If I could dip into the 4.3s, that'd be great," he told FOX Sports. It's also been insane to see someone that big moving that fast. Garrett's diet is pretty tight. "I just try to stay away from soda and try to stay away from candy and sweets," he said, adding that he thinks he can bulk up to 270. Scary thought: Garrett doesn't turn 21 until December."

Dude...
libertyag
AG
lol, "...dip into the 4.3s..." really would be great. So would dipping into the 4.2s. But neither are going to happen.
Drake aTm
AG
Post removed:
by user
ironmanag
AG
So you are basically calling Garrett a liar.

ummmmmmm.. Ok.
Mr. Black
Myles is a tremendous pass-rushing DE in the 4-3. He'd also be one Hell of an OLB in a 3-4. He's smart, an outstanding teammate, and he also has all the physical tools that you could ask for. All he needs to do now is get a little better against the running game/setting the edge.
Kendall Madden
texag86
redd38
AG
quote:
I seriously doubt he power cleans 440 and has a 485 bench press. If he does then he should do 40+ reps on the bench at the combine.

But who really cares...just kick some butt this year for the Ags!

He power cleaned your wife and she looks to be a little over 4 bills.
aggiesed8r
AG
Your an idiot. Go away.
Mike Elko
AG
quote:
Your an idiot. Go away.

*You're
Cancelled
AG
Who cares? It's impressive, but I doubt Charles Haley or Hershel could clean near that. The guy is a phenomenal athlete either way.
Meximan
quote:
I seriously doubt he power cleans 440 and has a 485 bench press. If he does then he should do 40+ reps on the bench at the combine.

The number of athletes who can bench 500+ and clean 500+ is greater than you think. Most of them are wrestlers, professional bodybuilders, and football players. That actually sounds about average for a very powerful, elite lineman to me.
Slwdsm
NFL combine rules for bench are a lot different than what people normally do in the gym...

Also it's pretty common for the tall/long arm lanky players to fall behind in the bench at the combine.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:

The number of athletes who can bench 500+ and clean 500+ is greater than you think. Most of them are wrestlers, professional bodybuilders, and football players. That actually sounds about average for a very powerful, elite lineman to me.

The most impressive thing about that is how long his reach is, and still being able to lift that much.
txjacrbt
His numbers sound accurate. Reps of 225 and bench press max have nothing to do with each other. For instance, a few years ago, there were two tight ends in the NFL draft that both did 28 and 31 reps on bench press. One had a max of 360lbs and the other bench pressed 460lbs. Arm length and explosion. Also, there are quarterbacks that can power clean nearly 400 lbs. Speed and technique along with core power.

Garrett is a physical freak.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
quote:
Your an idiot. Go away.

*You're
aggiesed8r
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Your an idiot. Go away.

*You're

Ok, you can stay. I'll go away now.
Justice Beaver
AG
quote:
What is a power clean?
If you have to ask, you can't afford it
whitebread_1
AG
A 445 lb power clean is unbelievable for a 6'5 athlete. That is a crazy amount of explosion and power. It is a much better correlation to being athletic and explosive than a bench press.
I highly doubt there are any QBs in college or pros that power clean any where close to 400 or even 350 for that matter. Please post a video, I would love to see it. I've never seen anyone moving that kind of weight except when watching Olympic level lifters. Being 6'5 makes the accomplishment that much more impressive because he has to bring the bar much higher than a shorter athlete.
Guy is a total freak and I really think in the NFL he might play at 280 lbs. he could easily carry another 10 lbs and not lose much if anything at all in speed.
superdales
AG
I hang-cleaned 150 at the box yesterday bros. Bow down suckas.
ccolley68
AG
I swear, some of y'all are something else. This is t some local writer putting out a fluff piece to get the townies ready for the season. This is a national article comparing the biggest freak athletes in the country, and our guy comes at #1, at y'all are ragging on the guys weightlifting numbers. What won't TexAgs stoop to to downplay one of the best players in A&M history. I am 35, in marginal physical shape at best, and can bench press 350+ (sorry, no power clean to compare at my age). Why is it that far fetched to think Garrett can do what he says? My BIL is an NFL long snapper and benches well over 400lbs, at 6'3" 255.
The Shank Ag

quote:
I highly doubt there are any QBs in college or pros that power clean any where close to 400 or even 350 for that matter.
Garrett talking about Trevor Knight:

quote:
"The first workout, he caught everybody's eyes. We were maxing out, and we were doing power cleans. He said, 'I'm going to get 160 (kilograms).' He drops it. Didn't get it. He said, 'Before I leave, I'm going to get this.' Tries it three more times, and finally gets it on the third try.
160 kg = 352.74 lbs.
whitebread_1
AG
Touch. Not that I don't believe it but would like to see it. It's still not 400. If you read the article,, they were using 350+ power cleans as impressive numbers for athletes from running backs to lineman.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Who cares? It's impressive, but I doubt Charles Haley or Hershel could clean near that. The guy is a phenomenal athlete either way.

Fran cares. I bet he is beating it to this thread right now.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
Touch. Not that I don't believe it but would like to see it. It's still not 400. If you read the article,, they were using 350+ power cleans as impressive numbers for athletes from running backs to lineman.
Touch who? PB bat signal.
Tyrone Shoelaces
AG
quote:

Fran cares. I bet he is beating it to this thread right now.
Bring back the Night of Champions!
whitebread_1
AG
Well I typed Touch. Maybe it got auto corrected.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
Well I typed Touch. Maybe it got auto corrected.

DOUBLE PB BAT SIGNAL!!
whitebread_1
AG
Damn. Happened again. Put an e on the end of that word.
Reed10
AG
Already stated here, but it's worth repeating There are a couple people on here that do not know what they are talking about regarding athlete's weight lifting abilities.

Myles is a generational player in the weight room and on the field, believe that.
TXGIGEM02
Knight is the 2nd biggest freak on the team after Garrett.

4.5 40 (did not run it this year but that is a time from OU)
10'2" broad jump
Power cleans 350+ as mentioned above (for his size that is ELITE)
38-39 inch vert

Dude is a freak as well
Claud
Sure, go ahead and call me an idiot. I am not trying to take anything away from Myles. He is a freak athlete...But according to an SI article Brock Lesnar was only benching 475 in college. IMO Brock was stronger and has shorter arms than Myles which makes the bench press easier. I don't believe Myles benches 485 right now.

And yes there is a strong correlation between bench max and # of reps on 225. I know the higher my max bench press goes the way more reps I can do at 225. If you can do 485 then you should be able to pump up 39 at the combine according to the study below. Watt did 34 reps. Let's see what Myles does.

vs

And for the posters saying the max bench has no predictive power on 225 reps....here is the article stating that NFL 225 test is accurate predictor of 1 rep max:

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/nfl-225-test-accurate-at-predicting-1rm-bench-presshttp

Brock Lesnar article:
http://www.si.com/vault/2000/03/06/275618/very-big-man-on-campus-minnesota-heavyweight-brock-lesnar-makes-rivals-look-lilliputian
Claud
The predictor calculator form the article above says a 485 pound bench is about 39 reps at 225. (Remember Watt got 34 reps).

Since 1999 only 17 men at the combine have gotten over 40 reps. Since Myles is still growing and getting stronger he should easily be in the 40 rep category by the time he does the combine if his numbers are legit at 485 right now.

We shall see.
The Anchor
AG
That pic of Myles looks a few years old.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.