Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Parents weekend to change name

7,202 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by merc
p-wonk01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

http://m.theeagle.com/news/a_m/texas-a-m-parents-weekend-receives-new-more-inclusive-name/article_d0ebf140-4dcc-11e6-8dc9-83424eb27721.html?mode=jqm
p-wonk01
AG
I'm not trying to be insensitive here to those that don't have parents... just had an Old Man Yells at Cloud moment I guess. :/.
PeekingDuck
AG
Asking for a login.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
quote:
Did any of you not feel included if it wasn't your parents that came?
Dave Robicheaux
AG
What microagression caused this typical knee jerk administrative reaction?
Lederhausen
AG
If anything it's more accurate.. I had my whole family come down for that weekend.

But seriously man, there are much better things to complain about than the semantics of a parents weekend..
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Wasn't an administrative decision, PW was/is a student run activity.

Registers about a .021 on my outrage Richter scale.
YourFavAggie
AG
WGAS
Post removed:
by user
Yell Practice
Family Weekend !
bqce
AG
Used to be Mother's Day weekend in Ol' Army Days, so the name changing to reduce the pain of some is nothing new.
Frok
AG
These students will fit perfectly into the corporate world. Make changes to fix problems that don't exist.

Lederhausen
AG
quote:
These students will fit perfectly into the corporate world. Make changes to fix problems that don't exist.

I don't think they were trying to fix any problems. From my understanding they are trying to include as many relatives as they can to try to visit the campus. But way to be a scrooge about it..

Respectfully of course.
agmrpink
AG
quote:
Used to be Mother's Day weekend in Ol' Army Days, so the name changing to reduce the pain of some is nothing new.

Might as well nip it in the bud and protect the students who don't have anybody, and just name it "Weekend."
Yell Practice
Weekend for everyone -- Cant miss.
aggiedent
AG
quote:
But seriously man, there are much better things to complain about than the semantics of a parents weekend..

At the time you posted this, nobody had complained about it. The OP just stated a fact and every comment that followed was benign.

quote:
I don't think they were trying to fix any problems. From my understanding they are trying to include as many relatives as they can to try to visit the campus. But way to be a scrooge about it..

Respectfully of course.

Way back in the 80's, my mom, my grandmother,and a cousin visited me on Parents Weekend. Wasn't an issue back then, not sure why they felt the need to address it now, but I DGAF what they call it.
AgsMyDude
AG
jesus....to think of the amount of time that went into this.....
champagnepapi
What if you don't have a family? I.E. international students or older undergraduate students.

Perhaps just call it, Aggie Weekend?
champagnepapi
Perhaps change Military Walk to "Walk"? The use of the word military sounds too threatening and could confuse the hippies that run slack rope from the tress in front of the academic building.
Lederhausen
AG
quote:
At the time you posted this, nobody had complained about it. The OP just stated a fact and every comment that followed was benign.

No the OP did complain about it, he just edited his post. He began by saying something about how we should now call the spring game all season's game so the other seasons could feel included and calling himself old man who yells at clouds.

quote:
Way back in the 80's, my mom, my grandmother,and a cousin visited me on Parents Weekend. Wasn't an issue back then, not sure why they felt the need to address it now, but I DGAF what they call it.
I agree here. Most people understood what it meant. Maybe they renamed it so no one would wonder if their whole family can come without having to ask.

My sophomore roommate was from South Africa and asked me if only parents were allowed for parents weekend or if I thought his sister could come.

He wasn't trying to be a PC millennial. He just didn't know. I'm thinking this name change is for situations like that one.
aggiedent
AG
quote:
No the OP did complain about it, he just edited his post.

My apologies.
Post removed:
by user
BR0
Parents weekend is ass my dude anyway. Who wants their parents hanging around their dorm or apartment? Just put money in the college account and stay the hell away.
AggieTFA06
AG
I'm not politically correct, but I like the idea of family weekend better. Being an Aggie is like being part of a family.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Ag4coal
Serious question: did anyone's siblings or other relatives not come in because the name of the weekend was "parents weeken?" I see what they're attempting to do but it just seems so stupid and unnecessary
S.A. Aggie
AG
At least it isn't Domestic Partners Day.
champagnepapi
quote:
Parents weekend is ass my dude anyway. Who wants their parents hanging around their dorm or apartment? Just put money in the college account and stay the hell away.

It's a huge Corps Tradition. Your non reg @ass won't understand.
P.C. Principal
Family Weekend is fine. At least it isn't "Single/Married Parents or Gender-Neutral Legal Guardians Weekend"
85Photon
AG
Oh look at us! We all have a family!
TripleSec
AG
This is very insensitive to those who don't have families.
Trident 88
AG
The time wasted on outrage over insignificant crap like this is greater than the time wasted on coming up with insignificant crap like this.
Old Animal
AG
Champagnepapi has it right, parents weekend was a Corps activity, which provided for the parents of cadets to see their sons, outfit, and for award ceremonies at the various command and unit levels. Some of our parents, due to finances or distance could not attend, some parents only once in four years. It was understood, and for those classmates whose parents
couldn't attend, they usually went with their buddies, or old lady's family to eat. Brothers and sisters did come up with parents. I know the University had other events for that weekend, but we were pretty much locked into Corps activities, or outfit ones.
aggiealltheway
AG
quote:
I never wanted my parents to come for "Parent's Weekend." All the school had to do were lame "family friendly" activities and the traffic became as bad as football weekends. No thanks
I agree. My parents were welcome to come up whenever they wanted, except for Parent's Weekend. I would go to the Spring Game, baseball game, softball game, whatever, but then stay my butt at home the rest of the weekend.
good nuggets
AG
JUST ANNOUNCED. Changing a line in The Spirit of Aggieland.

From "We've got to fight boys" to "We've got to fight non-gender specific identifying students"
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.