Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Sumlin reached out to DL coach Brick Haley?

57,500 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Maroonblood32
Aggie_Eric98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Brick on his way.

Can't read premium but I'm assuming he took the A&M job since there is a thread asking when he will be announced.
that thread was posted an hour before Billy's latest update.
Aggball2010
AG
I don't know one way or the other, but a legit offer is out there, sips are reeling and we are keeping quiet.

All signs point to us getting our guy.
Cynical_Texan
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Brick on his way.

Can't read premium but I'm assuming he took the A&M job since there is a thread asking when he will be announced.
that thread was posted an hour before Billy's latest update.

And with that sentence you take away any confidence I felt about a new hire!
aerotx
I wonder if UT will actually match the offer. The D-Line was supposed to be a strength at the start of the year but they were probably the most underperforming aspect of the defense. Hell, you guys loved to make fun of Malik having to make so many tackles because our DL consistently got gashed... Or did you guys forget that already?

After all, there must have been a reason UT paid him $165,000 less per year than they paid the guy he replaced.

Basically, if you guys offered $450,000 which I think is the latest rumor, I doubt Strong would go from $250,000 (which he's paying him now) all the way up to match, Haley didn't show anything to warrant that kind of raise.
kentky
Weren't LSU fans happy he left?
AgEng06
AG
quote:
Weren't LSU fans happy he left?
They were happy Chavis left too...

If Chavis wants him here, then we should trust him.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
quote:
I wonder if UT will actually match the offer. The D-Line was supposed to be a strength at the start of the year but they were probably the most underperforming aspect of the defense. Hell, you guys loved to make fun of Malik having to make so many tackles because our DL consistently got gashed... Or did you guys forget that already?

After all, there must have been a reason UT paid him $165,000 less per year than they paid the guy he replaced.
they got gashed because your DL sucks, it wasn't the coaching. Hell David Cutliffe would look like crap if he was coaching Heard as a QB.
aerotx
quote:
quote:

they got gashed because your DL sucks, it wasn't the coaching. Hell David Cutliffe would look like crap if he was coaching Heard as a QB.
"they got gashed because your DL sucks"... Isn't Haley the DL coach, the guy who's supposed to make them not suck? Last I checked he was...
The Collective
AG
quote:
I wonder if UT will actually match the offer.

If he accepts the A&M job, we will never really know if they matched the offer or not.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

"they got gashed because your DL sucks"... Isn't Haley the DL coach, the guy who's supposed to make them not suck? Last I checked he was...
Charlie sucks then too I guess, as he is paid to make them not suck and well, that is not turning out to well is it?
Clown Question

quote:

Your DL sucked because until this year, you basically took 1 DL in the last 2-3 classes. Plus, your DC sucks balls big time.

quote:
If he accepts the A&M job, we will never really know if they matched the offer or not.
They might match it but they will be loathe to guarantee it (which we are going to do at least part of it). They already has to overpay for the OC/OL duo. The signing class is done and the BS aura of stability can come to end. The next recruiting class will be signed under a new coaching staff. I would not be surprised if the openings currently on strong's staff are filled by QC guys or out of work coaches.
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You could have Bill Belichick coaching the Texas QBs and they would still be terrible, because there is no talent there to work with. It's the same story with the D-line. DL recruiting has been in shambles for years in Austin, and this is the result.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I sincerely doubt we pay him that. That's more than we are paying our OC right?
aerotx
quote:
quote:
I wonder if UT will actually match the offer.

We might, who knows.

I honestly just don't see UT matching though. Going from $250,000 a year to $450,000 after a single year with no on field results, especially with 2017 Louisiana prospects on DL being thin... I just don't see it. However, who knows, maybe they do match just to keep him away from an old rival.
Clown Question
quote:
I sincerely doubt we pay him that. That's more than we are paying our OC right?
We paid Spav around that but Mazzone is making a lot more a year (though not fully guaranteed). I think Mazzone is more like 800k.
aerotx
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You could have Bill Belichick coaching the Texas QBs and they would still be terrible, because there is no talent there to work with. It's the same story with the D-line. DL recruiting has been in shambles for years in Austin, and this is the result.
I like how you apply the no talent argument to defend a coach you guys are going after, when you completely dismiss the no talent argument when it comes to Strong.

Funny how the hive mind on here works.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
If they don't match I guess we know how profitable the LHN is for them...
Aggie_Eric98
AG
quote:
quote:
I like how you apply the no talent argument to defend a coach you guys are going after, when you completely dismiss the no talent argument when it comes to Strong.

You mean the texas team that had like 10 straight top 10 recruiting classes when he couldn't turn into a bowl team.
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

you're right. Mack left the cupboard bare. Strong needs 3-4 more years minimum.
Cynical_Texan
AG
quote:

We might, who knows.

I honestly just don't see UT matching though. Going from $250,000 a year to $450,000 after a single year with no on field results, especially with 2017 Louisiana prospects on DL being thin... I just don't see it. However, who knows, maybe they do match just to keep him away from an old rival.

Who is this UT you keep referencing... did Tennessee offer him a salary as well?
Clown Question

quote:

Well it is easy to dismiss the no talent argument with strong. Haley has had plenty of good DLs.

When he is saddled with coach who has lost six or more games in four of his six seasons as a HC, you are limited.

phatbeast
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hmm. You make a good point. I think you're right. You should probably let Haley go and hang onto Strong. That looks like it would be the best case scenario.
Maroonblood32
Hearing from sips they heard that charlie wasn't willing to break the bank with Haley. They're not too happy but this is their word. Not sure to believe it but I guess we'll see.
The Collective
AG
It's not Charlie's decision, unless their AD told Charlie he could reduce his compensation to pay for Haley.
Maroonblood32
quote:
It's not Charlie's decision, unless their AD told Charlie he could reduce his compensation to pay for Haley.

In that case, Haley is ours!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.