Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

This Board ******s about the Sherman regime...

11,344 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by phatbeast
Kemo Sabe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If Sherman had hired a top notch offensive coordinator that wasn't dried up with the NFL , keek a field goal, mentality he just might have still been here. Sherman's demise had absolutely NOTHING to do with Jim turner. I am glad turner is back on board. He should have been retained when Sherman was let go.
Trident 88
AG
Sorry to be rude, but how does OP have an Ag tag and ask this question? Did anyone ever complain about the O line when Sherman was here? Has Sherman received anything other than praise for A&M's O line recruiting? You went to A&M, but you can't connect the dots on this???? My degree is worth less because of people like you.
rebelAg02
I wanted to keep Sherman and give him the resources for a top flight DC and S&C coach... He corrected a ship on the wrong path for a decade which I think people under-value the difficulty doing with the program he inherited at that time. He earned at least 1 more year but less than cool heads prevailed.

Never wavered on him or Jim Turner...
OrygunAg
AG
I'm not sure we've been too quick to let go a coach in my time, except maybe Sherman. I think he should have been able to bring in a new oc play caller and he would have had jff his next year. I think Sumlin has assembled a very respectable staff now with arguably sherms best coach.
phatbeast
AG
quote:
I'm not sure we've been too quick to let go a coach in my time, except maybe Sherman. I think he should have been able to bring in a new oc play caller and he would have had Jameill Showers his next year. I think Sumlin has assembled a very respectable staff now with arguably sherms best coach.

FIFY
NyAggie
AG
Online was very good under turner during the Sherman years

Sherman's problem was recruiting on defense and collapsing in the 2nd half of games
cevans_40
AG
quote:
Sorry to be rude, but how does OP have an Ag tag and ask this question? Did anyone ever complain about the O line when Sherman was here? Has Sherman received anything other than praise for A&M's O line recruiting? You went to A&M, but you can't connect the dots on this???? My degree is worth less because of people like you.
Because he hates Sumlin and anyone who supports him.
Aftermath
AG
quote:
quote:
Ha! I've been a season ticket holder since before many of you were born.I can't "Hate" Sumlin, I don't even know the man. But I can say that this board did crucify Sherman for years after he was gone and until this week has done so on a daily basis, and that cannot be denied. I also said that I thought Turner was a great hire. I just get a kick out of how quick this board changes direction and drinks the koolaid'''.I've also said that I feel that Sumlin is well spoken, a great recruiter as long as he is not being compared to the SEC West, and to many on this board has 'Swag". That being said, he has not produced on the field since year 1 and Johnny/KK. He made some poor hires and was slow to let his coordinators go when needed. He has not managed players well and we have in turn lost many very good ones. I don't think we will ever be better than mid pack with him, but I hope I'm wrong.
Ambres
AG
Sherman was not perfect. But he is a good man and a great Aggie. I wish he was better game day coach.. if so he would not have been fired.

Pros
Player Development
Rebuilt a broken team (Thanks Fran)
Stress discipline and school spirit (See Von Miller)
Coaching staff found some great players.. with good character
Honorable man (real good mentor)

Cons
Bad game day coach (Arkansas St game, OK St.. ect..)
Fail to adjust at half time

He left A&M in great position with some real play makers on both sides of the ball. His o-line was amazing.

Frankly, he was the right kind of man to lead A&M, but he lost to many games.
Post removed:
by user
W
AG
here's the problem...

a team starts 11 players on offense and 11 players on defense. That's a combined total of 22 players.

Sherman was great at recruiting and developing 5 of those 22 starters/positions.

you, um, kind of need more than that...
permabull
AG
permabull
AG
cevans_40
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Ha! I've been a season ticket holder since before many of you were born.I can't "Hate" Sumlin, I don't even know the man. But I can say that this board did crucify Sherman for years after he was gone and until this week has done so on a daily basis, and that cannot be denied. I also said that I thought Turner was a great hire. I just get a kick out of how quick this board changes direction and drinks the koolaid'''.I've also said that I feel that Sumlin is well spoken, a great recruiter as long as he is not being compared to the SEC West, and to many on this board has 'Swag". That being said, he has not produced on the field since year 1 and Johnny/KK. He made some poor hires and was slow to let his coordinators go when needed. He has not managed players well and we have in turn lost many very good ones. I don't think we will ever be better than mid pack with him, but I hope I'm wrong.

The best thing about Sherman was that he wasn't Fran. That's not a real great feat. We were middle of the pack in the weakest Power 5 conference in the country under Sherman. Now we are in the toughest conference in the country and somehow Sumlin should have the program ahead of LSU and Bama. I understand that this is a process and there may be some bumps in the road along the way. Do you?

Aftermath
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The best thing about Sherman was that he wasn't Fran. That's not a real great feat. We were middle of the pack in the weakest Power 5 conference in the country under Sherman. Now we are in the toughest conference in the country and somehow Sumlin should have the program ahead of LSU and Bama. I understand that this is a process and there may be some bumps in the road along the way. Do you?

So its been four years, Sumlin came in to a fully-loaded team with Johnny at the helm behind an NFL line....Freeze came in the same year at Ole miss to a cupboard-bare ,2-10 team. Here we are 4 years later.... how long do we allow for the so called "bumps" in the road? 6 years....8 years???
W
AG
to be fair...Sherman also greatly improved the WR play from the Fran era.

so I'll make it 8 of 22 positions improved/upgraded
Science Denier
AG
Does this mean I can't like Von Miller any more?
VatoLocoAggie
Bro. We are in the best conference playing the best teams and still winning 9 games a year.

Life is good, brah.
DecadePlan
AG
phatbeast
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So its been four years, Sumlin came in to a fully-loaded team with Johnny at the helm behind an NFL line....Freeze came in the same year at Ole miss to a cupboard-bare ,2-10 team. Here we are 4 years later.... how long do we allow for the so called "bumps" in the road? 6 years....8 years???

Freeze is 34-18. Sumlin is 36-16. They are 2-2 against each other.
Aftermath
AG
Come on now Phatbeast!! Ole Miss has played 2 New Years six bowls in a row, they beat LSU, Bama, Auburn, and us this year... They have gotten better every year and we get worse.... The trend is what should concern is the most
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
OP acts like this board is one person asserting one position and then changing it. Just a heads up man, this board is composed of many different people who have many different opinions. Different people choose to assert their opinions at different times believe it or not.

He probably has a ton of socks and assumes he's talking to one other person using a ton of socks.
BMX Bandit
Not a single objective person in the world that thinks sumlin has done a better job or equal to Freeze
W
AG
let's not go overboard on the Freeze hype.

he beat Bama and LSU in the same season...and still managed to miss the championship game in Atlanta. That's not easy to do.

he's 1-2 vs. Arkansas & Bielema.

took a humiliating and I mean humiliating loss in the Peach Bowl to TCU. Plus the embarrassing defeat this past year at Memphis in a virtual rebel home game
Aftermath
AG
quote:
let's not go overboard on the Freeze hype.

he beat Bama and LSU in the same season...and still managed to miss the championship game in Atlanta. That's not easy to do.

he's 1-2 vs. Arkansas & Bielema.

took a humiliating and I mean humiliating loss in the Peach Bowl to TCU. Plus the embarrassing defeat this past year at Memphis in a virtual rebel home game

That is a "Head in the Sand approach" He has beaten us and Alabama two years in a row, he beat LSU and Auburn this year.... He dismantled Okie State in the Sugar Bowl and he is recruiting like Saban..... He has waaaay outperformed our guy..... At half the price.
BMX Bandit
If Sumlin had performed as Freeze did the last 3 years, no one would be calling for him to be fired.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Freeze has a much better record against conference opponents with winning records. Sumlin has drawn Vandy twice and an injury plagued Missouri, as well as USCe twice from the east. I don't know whip Freeze has drawn from the east, but it can't be much easier than that.
Kentatm
quote:
..... Every day, and now it kisses arse with the Turner hire. It Is a great hire! But the direction change and flakey behavior of the posters here is hilarious...

The o-line isn't why Sherman lost to Arkansas State at home and nearly lost New Mexico a couple weeks later. The o-line isn't why Sherman only won 4 games in '08. The o-line isn't why Sherman was refusing to give up play calling. The o-line isn't what caused Sherman to keep JJ in at QB w/Tanny at WR even though it was clear his shoulder had not healed. The o-line isn't what caused the team to lose 5 games that they led at the half. The o-line isn't why a 13-10 score at half vs OU turned into a blowout loss.
Kentatm
quote:
Freeze has a much better record against conference opponents with winning records. Sumlin has drawn Vandy twice and an injury plagued Missouri, as well as USCe twice from the east. I don't know whip Freeze has drawn from the east, but it can't be much easier than that.

Vandy is Ole Miss' permanent cross division rival. Freeze is 3-1 vs Vandy w/the loss happening in 2012. They nearly lost to Vandy in 2013 as well. In 2012 the other team was Georgia which they lost in a 37-10 blowout. In 2013 it was Mizzou where they lost 24-10. In 2013 they beat a very mediocre Tennessee like a drum 34-3 but were also embarrassed by TCU in the Peach Bowl 42-3 . In 2015 they got their asses kicked by Florida 38-10. They also got their butts completely whipped vs Memphis 37-24 and the score does not come close to showing how badly they were outplayed.

Freeze is 2-2 vs everyone in the SECW save for Miss St which he is 3-1 against.

for reference Sumlin is 0-4 vs LSU, 1-3 vs Bama, 2-2 vs Ole Miss, 2-2 vs Auburn, 3-1 vs Miss St, and 4-0 vs Arky.
Aftermath
AG
But it's the trend, he gets better every year and now is in the hunt for the title... Is it that hard to see and understand??? What has he done in the last two years?? Beaten us twice, beaten Alabama twice, Beat LSU, Bama,Auburn ,and U.S. This year and dominated the Sugar Bowl..... How can you compare Sumlin to that?
Kentatm
quote:
But it's the trend, he gets better every year and now is in the hunt for the title... Is it that hard to see and understand???

They have won one more game each year he has been there. Sure that's an upward trend but they also have a nasty trend of getting blown out in about half their losses each year. To me that doesn't really indicate they are legitimately in the hunt for the title just yet.

quote:
Beaten us twice, beaten Alabama twice, Beat LSU, Bama,Auburn ,and U.S. This year and dominated the Sugar Bowl..... How can you compare Sumlin to that?
Well Sumlin is still 4-0 vs Pig which is better than Freezus. If he was so much better they shouldnt be losing to Bert. Sumlin is 2-2 against Freeze w/3 of those games being at Ole Miss due to scheduling quirks. A&M has not got blown out in any OOC/Bowl games like Freeze has. Sumlin has not lost to a G5 team like Freeze has.

Sumlin also doesn't have the NCAA breathing down the program's neck like Freeze does.

It's not as cut and dry as you would like it to be.
Bunk Moreland
Bowl games are fun for exhibition purposes, but if you're going to compare the 2, let's keep it to regular season:

Sumlin:

2012: 10-2 (6-2)
2013: 8-4 (4-4)
2014: 7-5 (4-4)
2015: 8-4 (4-4)

Freeze:

2012: 6-6 (3-5)
2013: 7-5 (3-5)
2014: 9-3 (5-3)
2015: 9-3 (6-2)

Sumlin obviously walked into a much better situation than Freeze did as far as talent on the roster.

Freeze has shown the ability to recruit and improve, and has trended upwards. Sumlin? Jury is still out. Both aren't without their WTF moments.
Aftermath
AG
It's pretty cut and dry...
Aftermath
AG
It's pretty cut and dry...and back to the question...How long do we allow it to go on? It's been 4 years, so? 6 To 8 years??
Mostly Peaceful
When someone tries to act like sumlin has done just about as good as freeze, they instantly lose all credibility.

Freeze took over a team that was 1-15 in their previous 16 SEC games. It took Johnny miracles to beat them in 2012 and 2013. The past two seasons we didn't belong on the same field.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.