Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Herbie's Playoff Predictions

13,310 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Grasshopper04
Sid Farkas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
BlowU and rest of the Bwtf have their annual hurdle to clear: no-conf-champ-game

And...He's almost as bad as Granny Clampit Holtz when it comes to being a homer.

One of the dumbest posts I've ever seen
Of the 12 pre season Herbie awards bestowed upon individual players -> 5 went to OSU homies (same article)

...Right back at ya Sally
Pre-Season unanimous #1 team is, generally speaking, going to have some really good players. Tough to imagine, I know
Considering the pool of plausible nominees...and overall quality of players at the highest level...these sorts of things are completely subjective...esp at this point in the year.
83Aggie
AG
Agree with Herbie on tOSU and OU. I believe Ou with Baker Mayfield at QB and the new OC will be good. They have an early test at UT, then the bdf schedule is manageable.

I think we knock off ASU in the first week , and upset a few teams along the way in the SEC West. I give us a legit chance to get to Atlanta.
tjack16
AG
I think OU may surprise some people. I think they are a 10-2 team (granted their schedule is pretty easy minus games against Tennessee, TCU and Baylor). Plus Baker Mayfield is a legit player, and their running back is easily top 5 in the nation.
agdoc2001
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm thinking Swoopes was able to fend off Heard... so mix that in, and the BDF is terrible.

Who is the Heard kid? The quarterback competition is between Swoopes and Tyrone. Coach Strong

Don't know what you've been reading. Word on the street is it's "My Man"'s job to lose.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
WGann3
AG
What's with the Baker Mayfield love? He threw 12 TDs versus 9 INTs his freshman year at Tech before transferring... if you take out the numbers he put up against SMU and SFA in his first 2 games that leaves us with a nice stat line of:

1,535 Yards
5 TDs
7 INTs

Against:

TCU
Texas State
Kansas
Kansas State
Texas
Baylor

I think Baker Mayfield has a little something, but I'll stress the word little. I don't see him being some big difference maker at OU.
Cannonball!
AG
Not that crazy

OSU is an obvious pick for the playoff. MSU is biggest obstacle, but even with 1 loss they could be in.

LSU is a bold pick, but he's probably looking at the SECW being as evenly matched as it has been in a long time and going with a perennial favorite.

OU is crazy but not that crazy. They could just as easily sweep the bdf as Baylor or TCU could. I could see the Vols winning a close one, or KSU is always good for an upset.

ASU is a little crazy to me. Will they really survive the PAC12 (not to mention the Ags)? This year's USCe, amirite?
TyHolden
AG
ou will be much better with mayberry starting at qb...
tjack16
AG
Also he was a true freshmen... he had some good moments and flashed a lot of potential. He had some bad moments as well, but so does every true freshmen. He's better for the OU new air raid system than Trevor Knight is. He could have a really good year. Treyvone Boykin was one of the worst college QB's in the 2013 season, and now he is the Heisman front runner. Crazier things have happened.
WGann3
AG
I hear you, valid points. I don't think he's a bad player, definitely showed some flashes but a lot of those flashes were against extremely meh competition during that flawed 7-0 start for Tech. That was a 4-8 TCU team he struggled against not a playoff caliber one.

It's so crazy to me that the outlier for Trevor Knight was an insanely good game against Alabama. That dude has been terrible other than that game.
joshq
AG
quote:
Picking defending national champion that was first unanimous AP preseason #1 ever makes him a "homer"

Hilarious.
Ragoo
AG
quote:
quote:
OU and ASU are both hiliariously stupid predictions. LSU is an interesting dark horse candidate AT BEST.
OU is actually not that dumb. Baylor is having all sorts of off the field problems, so who knows how they will be. Not to mention they are starting a Fish QB. And TCU lost over half of their D.
OU is starting BAKER MAYFIELD, let that sink in.

Does LSU even suit up a QB or just wildcat it to Fournette?
Agsrback12
Glad to see that. When Herbie gives us love early, we usually tank. 11-2 is pretty much a lock now.
Kramer
AG
He trollin
BMX Bandit
How is he trolling? Or why would he need to?
Twelfthman99
AG
quote:
Most are predicting LSU 6th?

You make that up just now? Or you really believe it when someone lied to you?
Heard it the whole way to work this morning on Sirius College Sports. Lots of national folks are trending LSU down because of their inability to find a QB.
BMX Bandit
Trending down, but very few picking them to be that bad. Most have them 3-5 range.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
BlowU and rest of the Bwtf have their annual hurdle to clear: no-conf-champ-game

And...He's almost as bad as Granny Clampit Holtz when it comes to being a homer.

One of the dumbest posts I've ever seen
Of the 12 pre season Herbie awards bestowed upon individual players -> 5 went to OSU homies (same article)

...Right back at ya Sally

Anyone who has followed college football and Kirk Herbstreit over the past decade would know he's as professional as can be when it comes to his objectivity. A few years ago he actually moved from Columbus because Ohio State fans and their attitudes toward him and his family were getting out of hand. They felt that he was too critical of the school and was trying to overcompensate so as to not be called a homer.

Every single pundit is picking tOSU to the playoffs and many are picking them to repeat. Believe it or not, teams can be good outside of the SEC West.

As for the Herbies, it was four awards to three players who are all pre-season All-Americans. Usually the unanimous number one team in the country tends to have good players... Sally.
usmcbrooks
quote:
What's with the Baker Mayfield love? He threw 12 TDs versus 9 INTs his freshman year at Tech before transferring... if you take out the numbers he put up against SMU and SFA in his first 2 games that leaves us with a nice stat line of:

1,535 Yards
5 TDs
7 INTs

Against:

TCU
Texas State
Kansas
Kansas State
Texas
Baylor

I think Baker Mayfield has a little something, but I'll stress the word little. I don't see him being some big difference maker at OU.

But big game boob, thinks he has his Johnny Football in Mayfield
WGann3
AG
quote:
quote:

1,535 Yards
5 TDs
7 INTs

Against:

TCU
Texas State
Kansas
Kansas State
Texas
Baylor

But big game boob, thinks he has his Johnny Football in Mayfield

Baker Mayfield is an EXTREMELY poor man's Manziel. Like, bordering on homeless poor.
aggiesq
AG
quote:
Ohio State Buckeyes
LSU Tigers
Oklahoma Sooners
Arizona State Sun Devils

Winner: OSU
if this comes to pass, it will only confirm that the NCAA has become as corrupt as the NFL. Meyers has a history of baggage in his programs, and OSU was f'ed before he came. but if they win 2 trophies in a row, it will only embolden people like Briles.

Stone44
AG
He always rates ou high. Johnny Football made the stoops bros. look like the Marx bros,, and they changed their offense. He hasn't recruited as well the past couple of years and it will continue to show on the field.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
I would give Free Shoes a better chance at running through the ACC than BlowU getting through the BDF. OU's recruiting has fallen off significantly since Sumlin arrived here to where they aren't that much ahead of TCU and Baylor in talent. And those two are coached better than they are.

I don't know what to make of the lsu pick other than Herbie must think Fournette can run for enough points to where it won't matter what the qb play is like. Lsu also didn't get hammered by early NFL departures on defense for the first time in years. That may help offset the loss of Chavis.
SP, that isn't the reason that they moved from Columbus to Nashville.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
SP, that isn't the reason that they moved from Columbus to Nashville.

That's definitely the reason he gave. Although I don't think there's a single person who would fault him for choosing Nashville over Columbus, Ohio.
bigboykin
AG
Know how many B10 games Meyer has lost at OSU in three years? Zero. Yes, zero. He returns 14 starters including 2 all-Americans, 2 All-B10 players, both kickers, and a bunch of contributors (including the Natty winning QB).

Anybody not picking them to make the playoff is more likely to be a homer or hater than Herbstreit is.

ASU is not the pushover many on here are predicting. They're a very good team returning 16 starters from a 10-3 squad last season. I doubt they'll win the PAC, but it's not a crazy pick.

Somebody has to win the B12. According to this board, Baylor sucks, TCU sucks, Texas sucks... Putting your money on a guy with a .738 win pctg, a national championship, and 8 conference titles is definitely not idiotic.

As mentioned, the difference between 1st and 7th in the SEC West may be as close as it's ever been. The team has talent, experience, coaching, and a great homefield advantage. If they get half-decent QB play, they just might win the best division in CFB.

I don't agree with all his picks, but some of y'all are way off base.
45-70Ag
AG
Not picking osu would be dumb
MondayMorningQB
AG
Relax he is just being forced to pick a playoff 4 like last year each week... He doesn't want to do this but it's coming from the top down.

Fun for conversation and TV, expect this to be fluid.
OregonAggie
AG
Anyone remember Ezekiel running roughshod over Bama and Oregon? Cardale Jones may be their backup QB. O Line is loaded.

Joey Bosa is widely considered the best defensive player in college football. Senior leaders at LB. Athletic secondary.

Urban Meyer is a fantastic coach...they won the whole thing last year...

Yeah Herbie is a homer for picking a **** squad like that to win.
miller0926
AG
LSU's schedule:

9/5 McNeese St.
9/12 @Mississippi St.
9/19 Auburn
9/26 @Syracuse
10/3 Eastern Michigan
10/10 @South Carolina
10/17 Florida
10/24 Western Kentucky
BYE
11/7 @Alabama
11/14 Arkansas
11/21 @Ole Miss
11/28 Texas A&M

This schedule is what I think justifies his LSU pick. We all agree that outside of Prescott, State is probably the bottom feeder of the West and many (including I) believe Auburn is overrated. Up until that BYE week, I think LSU will be the favorite in all 8 of their games, and who knows how good they will be when they get into that November gauntlet.
Grasshopper04
AG
How about we ruin ASU's chance at a championship by beating them twice this year.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.