Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

3rd Downs

3,769 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by EAgg
TheDraw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When Johnny was here they were so easy to convert that it never felt like 3rd down was a big deal. Does anyone else feel spoiled by this?
locogringo
AG
IT IS Third down!!
AgOutsideAustin
AG
More concerned about our D on third down.
Bunk Moreland
2012:
Ags: 107/195 55%
Opponents: 66/204 32%

2013:
Ags: 81/161 50%
Opponents: 75/183 41%

2014:
Ags 73/179 41%
Opponents: 82/204 40%

2012 was great at converting ours and holding opponents on 3rd down. 2013 saw a pretty significant drop, and that was with Manziel at the helm still. Worse yet, the opponent conversion really skyrocketed here.

2014 saw a major drop off on our side, while not improving on the opponent side.

I hope Chavis has these numbers back down near 35% or lower in year 1. I also think the lack of a running game/more focus on Johnny running so much in year 2 really started to affect our running game and how it helps the offense overall. Then last year it was pretty rough at times. Not running the ball on 1st and 2nd down will always lead to a lot more 3rd and intermediate to long attempts. Enter Christensen. He will come in and hopefully have a major effect on the running game to help alleviate that.

Sumlin knows what the difference truly is from 8-4 to 10-2 or 10-2 to 12-0. Convert your 3rd downs, don't let the opponent. He went and made 2 hires that should directly affect these numbers starting next year.
phatbeast
AG
We better not see any third downs this year. If we see a third down, that's a failure. I want a first down (or better yet a touchdown) on every play on the offense, and an interception or fumble on every play on the defense.
jja79
AG
quote:
IT IS Third down!!

Thanks for that. Chace Murphy can ruin a Saturday.
Jack Cheese
AG
quote:
We better not see any third downs this year. If we see a third down, that's a failure. I want a first down (or better yet a touchdown) on every play on the offense, and an interception or fumble on every play on the defense.

Talmbout! No more accepting mediocrity around here MFers!
agfan2013
AG
There's no way opponent conversion percentage was only 40% last year. All I remember thinking every time we got someone to 3rd and long was how they had us right where they wanted, and cursing after the ensuing conversion.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
There's no way opponent conversion percentage was only 40% last year. All I remember thinking every time we got someone to 3rd and long was how they had us right where they wanted, and cursing after the ensuing conversion.
In games against real opponents, that was the case. You just don't remember the 3rd down plays against the **** teams.
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
2012:
Ags: 107/195 55%
Opponents: 66/204 32%

2013:
Ags: 81/161 50%
Opponents: 75/183 41%

2014:
Ags 73/179 41%
Opponents: 82/204 40%

2012 was great at converting ours and holding opponents on 3rd down. 2013 saw a pretty significant drop, and that was with Manziel at the helm still. Worse yet, the opponent conversion really skyrocketed here.

2014 saw a major drop off on our side, while not improving on the opponent side.

I hope Chavis has these numbers back down near 35% or lower in year 1. I also think the lack of a running game/more focus on Johnny running so much in year 2 really started to affect our running game and how it helps the offense overall. Then last year it was pretty rough at times. Not running the ball on 1st and 2nd down will always lead to a lot more 3rd and intermediate to long attempts. Enter Christensen. He will come in and hopefully have a major effect on the running game to help alleviate that.

Sumlin knows what the difference truly is from 8-4 to 10-2 or 10-2 to 12-0. Convert your 3rd downs, don't let the opponent. He went and made 2 hires that should directly affect these numbers starting next year.

coupland boy
AG
Daylon Mack.....third down......give it to him. Apparently.
NavyAg92
AG
As long as Kyle Allen is QB, I'll never worry about 3rd downs. He's got this sh*t covered. And when Kyler takes over, he'll pick up where Kyle left off and just make it that much better. No need to worry about 3rd downs for a long, long, time.

We're going to the playoffs this year. F/ck the critics.
Egy Ag
JFF was the 3rd down maestro! I'm sure with a full playbook for Kyle Allen we'll get better on 3rd down. Also think this could be a breakout year for Spavital. There has to be a reason Sumlin kept him and got rid of Snyder.
bgrimm05
AG
quote:
quote:
In games against real opponents, that was the case. You just don't remember the 3rd down plays against the **** teams.

Yes. People seem to forget all the talk early last year about how much improved our defense was.

And then the SEC took its toll...
MouthBQ98
AG
The problem we had was often how many times we would give up 3rd and 8+.
Houston Summit
AG
quote:
IT IS Third down!!
BigOil
AG
I bet the 2012 numbers for the first quarter was crazy higher... Seems we routinely got up 21 - 0 by the time we entered the second
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.