Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

LSU AD says Tigers would play A&M on Black Friday, hopes SEC never goes to 9 games

10,369 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by dachsie
Meximan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It will come to be named Black and Blue Friday.
Spyderman
AG
quote:
quote:
Play the games each year in the Superdome ala OU/TX and Ark/A&M. Try to get out of that crazy Ark series asap.

That's one of stupidest ideas I've heard in quite a while. Why would you trade one neutral site for another? College football was meant to be played on campus.
OU/TX seems to have worked it out. OU uses the game for recruiting puposes, much like we could in the NO area. Ark plays us in Arlington...they are desperately trying to bring back the TX recruiting presence they once had during the SWC days. LSU is savvy however; they would never agree to it...moot.
PCC_80
AG
quote:
quote:
OU/TX seems to have worked it out. OU uses the game for recruiting puposes, much like we could in the NO area. Ark plays us in Arlington...they are desperately trying to bring back the TX recruiting presence they once had during the SWC days. LSU is savvy however; they would never agree to it...moot.

I think that the recruiting value of these neutral site games is now very minimal. It was probably a good idea 30-40 years ago when there was only 3 networks and only a couple of college games on TV every Saturday. Also, getting recruits to a campus game was a lot more difficult than it is now. Now almost every SEC Game is on TV every Saturday and High School Recruits are much more knowledgeable about most college programs and much more likely to travel to visit several colleges during their recruitment periods. I think that now if we agree to a neutral site game it should be for a bigger payday than we could collect in our own home stadium.
BTKAG97
AG
quote:
quote:
How does it reduce number of broadcast games?

2 SEC teams playing each other = 1 game
2 SEC teams playing 2 non-SEC teams = 2 games

Or it's a zero some game if sec teams stop scheduling division II teams that dont get televised.
1876er
AG
quote:
The Arkansas game in Dallas was a great idea when we were in b12...awful event as a conference game...whether it is 2024 or 2025...it better end then...NO extensions...the Dallas exposure is beneficial to the pigs...A&M has plenty of exposure everywhere in Texas...

What difference does it make if it is a conference game vs a non conference game? The newness wore off in year 2. It was obviously a bad idea then.
1876er
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Play the games each year in the Superdome ala OU/TX and Ark/A&M. Try to get out of that crazy Ark series asap.

That's one of stupidest ideas I've heard in quite a while. Why would you trade one neutral site for another? College football was meant to be played on campus.

OU/Texas figured it out because they've been playing in Dallas for over a century. You can't replicate that by forcing a rivalry against two schools with very little history.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
quote:
quote:
But he is wrong about the league going to nine games. Every P5 league but the SEC will be playing nine games. We need to be doing it as well.
Why do we need to do it as well? A big part of why they are going that direction is because they struggle to fill stadiums, gain television viewership, or attract sponsors. Exactly none of that is an issue for 13 of 14 SEC teams. Both as individual schools and as a conference we make more money with 8 conference game and the flexibility of 4 non-con games. Why not require 2 annual P-5 games instead?

Actually, you are very wrong about that. Many SEC schools struggle to fill their stadiums against FCS teams and OOC schools that aren't P5. Look it up.

Another big reason to play 9 SEC games is to speed up the rotation of schools from the other division and keep the permanent rivalries. It is the best solution.

We need to be playing 9 SEC games and at least 1 P5 OOC annually.
MosesRAB-93
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

OU/Texas figured it out because they've been playing in Dallas for over a century. You can't replicate that by forcing a rivalry against two schools with very little history.

I would also add that Dallas is the same distance from both schools.

For the OP subject, I'd like to see it stay on T-day; give it some time to stick. If not, then we can change it.
West Point Aggie
AG
quote:
For the OP subject, I'd like to see it stay on T-day; give it some time to stick. If not, then we can change it.

So you're suggesting we shove OUR paradigm down LSU's collective throat...I'm frankly surprised we had this much sway...we are, after all, the new comers to the league...surprised LSU did not say fri/sat or stick with mizzou!!
The Chicken Ranch
AG
^ I agree.

And anyone that thinks we should have any more annual neutral site games is brain dead. The sooner we can get this Arky debacle at JW behind us the better.
twk
AG
quote:
The Aggies and Tigers could become something special if they became a Friday night staple.

After five years of Friday nights, it would be something college football fans across the country would come to view as a tradition.

Plus with Friday night being the game, the traveling team could eat a nice, relaxed Thanksgiving meal at home in CS or BR and then board a plane to the game city.

I really like Friday for this rivalry. Just do everything possible to ensure it being at night.
What if it's not possible? What if CBS has the first option on Friday, and any CBS game would be in the afternoon?

Friday sucks. It's the worst possible day on that weekend. Saturday would be better than Friday. The good thing about playing on Thanksgiving is that you get the game over with and have a 3 day weekend.
Sq 17
no one is sure if the broadcast partners would give us a Friday night slot
which is why I like Thursday night because I can make my plans and
Friday early afternoon is the worst possibility IMO
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
quote:

So you're suggesting we shove OUR paradigm down LSU's collective throat.

Yes.

To hell with their feelings.
The Collective
AG
I'd be fine with the Friday game. Nice compromise and still gives the players a chance to go home on Saturday if they want to do so.
Swing Your Saber
Counting actual warm bodies in seats or tickets sold? You are right about programs struggling to sell tickets for FCS games but as a conference we still hit greater than 90% sales against mid major opponents. Two teams at 90% is a lot more than one team at 100%. Long term trends are an issue at most schools, especially among students & young alumni. However those trends have not manifested themselves in a comparatively significant way. So yes now & for the foreseeable future the individual schools, & conference as a whole, makes a lot more money off 2 mid major opponents than a single in conference game. Not 2x the money but greater than 150%.

I have no problem banning FCS games as a spectator, but I do not mind them. If having a FCS game every year for 10 years = one extra win a decade because we caught & diagnosed an issue, got extra reps for back ups, or avoided an injury I would prefer we keep them. I just don't know if that's the case. A weak mid major might be about the same.

To play the east faster I would rather blow up the divisions & restructure scheduling all together. My favorite is each team gets 3 permanent opponents & rotates the other 10 teams with their 5 non-permanent conference games. You play every team at least twice every 4 years. Would this be less balanced? Yes. But LSU v. Florida & Auburn v. Georgia every year is already pretty unbalanced compared to Ole Miss v. Vandy & MSST v. KY. More importantly it would make the championship game more likely to yield the two best teams & more exciting. Finally it cycles through all the teams faster than a 6-1-2 cycle.

Also I would rather see 2 P-5 teams annually than another SEC game.
West Point Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes.

It has nothing to do with feelings...more to do with what we want vs what they want...I'm guessing they have more pull with the league office...since LSU will not, repeat will not play at home on thanksgiving, they may tire of this every other year bull **** and say, screw it, we are hooking up with Arkansas again...get a room with tu already...

Sadly, I think this is where this heads...too bad, thanksgiving is now NFL territory...college will always lose to it...even if we are a 1 vs 2 game...
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes.

I'm guessing they have more pull with the league office...since LSU will not, repeat will not play at home on thanksgiving, they may tire of this every other year bull **** and say, screw it, we are hooking up with Arkansas again...get a room with tu already

They have less pull than you think (they complain about their perceived lack of sway all the time), and you are a little paranoid about them "hooking up w/ Arky again.

It is in the SEC's best interest to promote the Arky/Mizzou rivalry (which I can say as a current Missouri resident has quickly gained some steam) and the LSU/TAMU rivalries independently. What LSU wants outside of what day they choose to play their home game with us matters very little in the grand scheme of things.
twk
AG
quote:
It has nothing to do with feelings...more to do with what we want vs what they want...I'm guessing they have more pull with the league office...since LSU will not, repeat will not play at home on thanksgiving, they may tire of this every other year bull **** and say, screw it, we are hooking up with Arkansas again...get a room with tu already...
Won't happen. If LSU and Arkansas play that final weekend, it would leave A&M and Missouri with an open date five years out of six. SEC isn't going to do that.

LSU will play their home game against us on Saturday unless the TV folks work out something they like on Friday. We will play our home games against LSU on Thanksgiving if the TV folks will take it on that day.
FbgTxAg
AG
Why not just play the damn thing on Saturday night? Students get to go home Wednesday and come back Saturday. Full student section. And the rest of us have surely had enough family time by Saturday. And lots of leftover food and booze at the tailgates.
twk
AG
quote:
Why not just play the damn thing on Saturday night? Students get to go home Wednesday and come back Saturday. Full student section. And the rest of us have surely had enough family time by Saturday. And lots of leftover food and booze at the tailgates.
Saturday is better than Friday. The main knock on Saturday is that the game would be lost in the avalanche of rivalry games played on that day, and would sometimes be relegated to an early, lesser channel, timeslot. If we play on Saturday, we're just subject to the normal 12 day selection window.
8T2
It's clear that the people wanting a thanksgiving game have never looked at the TV numbers. Cowboys drew 11 times the viewers that A&M/LSU did. Eleven times!
twk
AG
quote:
It's clear that the people wanting a thanksgiving game have never looked at the TV numbers. Cowboys drew 11 times the viewers that A&M/LSU did. Eleven times!
That's not a relevant comparison. NFL games outdraw college games--what a revelation!

A live game in that time slot is going to draw better for ESPN than anything else they are going to show, so, as long as they are happy with the numbers, that's all that matters. How many folks would be watching an 11 a.m. Saturday kickoff on SEC Network? Even if a 1:30 Friday game on CBS would draw more, that's the worst possible time for the folks attending the game, so it's not worth the tradeoff.
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:

DGAF. Anything competing with the NFL gets overshadowed.

It's about us, not the NFL.
Red Stick
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes.

That is not a very nice attitude.

What have we ever done to you, other than crushing you like a bug every year in football?
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes.

That is not a very nice attitude.

What have we ever done to you, other than crushing you like a bug every year in football?
We're like cockroaches--you think you've crushed us, then turn around and we're gone, plotting more buggardly evil.
85Photon
AG
quote:
I see you've never been to Little Rock or New Orleans. The answer is No.
dachsie
Not this year. CBS announced they will be showing Mizzou Vs Arky on Friday.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.