Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How thin at Corner are we ?

9,928 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Busdriver99
TheSwingingGate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I like the move. Will also give B-Will another dimension, assuming he wants to enter the draft.
Who will wear #1 on defense?
hunter2012
AG
It's good that an athlete that talented will see more than 5 plays from scrimmage per game. It would awesome to see him as the mustang back or covering a deep threat.

Stuff like this is why we hired Chavis.
RogerEnright
quote:
quote:
quote:
On the bright side, what does this say about our RB situation?

That we don't need them (RBs)?
They'll either throw in an extra olineman or teach a receiver to block. Pass every play like a boss!

...screen pass that is
and shattering records...
No Bat Soup For You
AG
quote:
quote:
On the bright side, what does this say about our RB situation?

That we don't need them (RBs)?

Tra Carson to LB?
Bachelor99
AG
I assume devante harris will continue to wear #1
TyHolden
AG
Must mean we're moving speedy to qb
Foxo
AG
But maybe this move should have been made before spring training was over. He's been away from the position for almost 5 years. Or did I miss something and he got in some CB snaps during the spring?
CrawlingNo5
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Have to think Chevis sees something there or this wouldn't be happening. The guy is a hell of a gunner, but knowing coverages and actually covering people is another thing.
Who?
Mike Jones?
Who?

Mike Jones
Bone6
My reaction to this was much closer to the OP's than thinking B. Williams is a Deon Sanders'esque athlete who can play everywhere.

I think Chavis is pretty concerned about our DB situation.
fireinthehole
James White duin work
lil_frog8
AG
The real reason is so Kyler can have the #1 jersey on the offensive side of the ball. Good sign for the good guys!!! Nothing more to see keep it moving...
KJN86
AG
quote:
So Brandon Williams as a corner ?

Honestly, (how pathetic), what does that say about our corner situation that BWill is being called over to the defensive side ?

Smells a lot like "We're desperate at Linebacker, help us Nate Askew"

Nate put in his time and tried his best, but still. This can't be a good sign for the secondary.

Or he doesn't fit in our new physical running attack. Maybe we don't plan on rotating 3 backs this year and he is odd man out. Just a thought.
Aggies1322
AG
quote:
quote:

Honestly, (how pathetic), what does that say about our corner situation that BWill is being called over to the defensive side ?

Nate put in his time and tried his best, but still. This can't be a good sign for the secondary.

Or he doesn't fit in our new physical running attack. Maybe we don't plan on rotating 3 backs this year and he is odd man out. Just a thought.
Same reason I believe Trey left early for the NFL. Christensen brought a physical running game and those two guys may not be his kind of running back.
phatbeast
AG
quote:
quote:
Have to think Chevis sees something there or this wouldn't be happening. The guy is a hell of a gunner, but knowing coverages and actually covering people is another thing.
Who?
http://www.12thman.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208656771 makes all the personnel decisions on defense.
ragincagin
quote:
I was talking with a Corn Dog co-worker. Apparently this is not uncommon for the Chief to do.
No, not uncommon at all. Chavis moved tons of rb's to db's while at lsu! BTW Chavis didn't mess with the secondary at LSU. Corey Raymond recruits and coaches them. Chavis strong point was supposed to be LB and DE.
Trey left before Christiansen was hired. Not that your point made much sense anyway.
Tamu_mgm
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Same reason I believe Trey left early for the NFL. Christensen brought a physical running game and those two guys may not be his kind of running back.

I don't think this is correct.

This whole B-Will thing is not suprisingly being way overblown by Texags like any and every other little change to our football program / school.

If you were to ask the coaches the philosophy behind this they would probably and truthfully tell you that Brandon is one of the best and fastest athletes on the team. He will still be playing RB, but figured for his size and athletic ability, AND considering the depth we have at RB, why not see if he can help our defense too? Sure, our CBs aren't deep, but that doesn't mean that is the reason for the switch. It's simply recognition by our new reputable DC who has coached more athletes on defense than any of these other coaches have seen in their lives. Just think of it as an experiment, not an indictment of his ability as a RB in this new run scheme or of our CBs' abilities. His chances of starting are slim anyway, so why not take a chance and see what you got?

One thing is clear though and that is that no single running back is going to be the workhorse in this offense - rotations are still Spav's call. The addition of Brandon at CB does not necessarily mean Christensen doesn't like him as a back either. Brandon was the only RB during spring to break off a few big runs by the way. I doubt he would be benched simply because he doesn't "fit the style." Production wins the starting job, PERIOD. Plus you go back to Christensen's offenses at Mizzou, Utah, and Wyoming - his backs were not always big / physical guys.
Busdriver99
AG
B-Will can prob make an NFL roster as a kick returner, and we could use a burner in the secondary

Maybe he can get to the QB on a speed blitz package

He is a tremendous athlete, and one of the fastest on the team. It could work
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.