Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

No Chollie love, but how does Louisville get 9 players drafted?

10,965 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by longeryak
TXAGBQ76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With all of that talent, how did he not win a conference championship at Louisville or tu?
No Bat Soup For You
AG
quote:
quote:
So in Charlies last year at Louisville he had Bridgewater and 9 other NFL draft picks and was never a threat to win the Championship.

He must really suck at coaching
Even 11-1, with a Heisman candidate, wasn't going to overcome the conference.

11-1 won't get you in to the playoffs in the Big 12 either.
Reginald Cousins
Velvet Jones
AG
quote:
We can say what we want but, Chollie has demonstrated that he can evaluate and develop players better than most. I mentioned last week that I'm concerned that if Chollie can do that at a mid major, imagine what he can do at a school like tu or A&M?

The bottom line is the NFL trusts, respects and admires a Chollie Strong program. If you don't think that the HS coaches & recruits are not going to notice, then you simply have your head in the sand.

Sumlin better starting winning or he is going to lose the momentum Johnny gave this program.
I laughed at, well, all of this.

83Aggie
AG
quote:
We can say what we want but, Chollie has demonstrated that he can evaluate and develop players better than most. I mentioned last week that I'm concerned that if Chollie can do that at a mid major, imagine what he can do at a school like tu or A&M?

I agree with Red Mccombs that Strong is a good DCooridnator. QB and Oline will continue to be problems for tu. Still not sure if they trot out Heard, swoopes, or the Frosh. Meanwhile Baylor is 4-1 against texas in their last 5 and Briles continues to develp QBs in a system which prodcuces each season.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
With all of that talent, how did he not win a conference championship at Louisville or tu?
Only reason Louisville played Florida in the Sugar Bowl, Louisville won the four way tie-breaker for the Big East conference.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Hawg,
my point exactly
SeaAGS
And we wonder why there are Aggie jokes?
SeaAGS
Aftermath AG,

I would like to meet up with you. You are one of the only intelligent posters on this board. First and second round is on me.

Im a Prof here so, Im not hard to find.
SeaAGS
The other thing I will mention. MY son attends Texas A&M Galveston and if the majority you posters were in my class, I would fail you all
SeaAGS
We wonder why there are so many Aggie jokes?
bigblackag12
AG
SeaAGS, im surprised you agree with aftermath's assessment of sumlin and his staffs development abilities.

Snyder was a mistake to keep aroundn ill give you that. That plus the glaring holes that were on the defensive depth chart have been very hard to fill. There wasnt much there to develop behind the seniors in 2012 and those that were here that showed promise in the next classes turned out to be criminals, or wanted to transfer, or had career ending injuries.

People point to underclassmen starting over upper classmen as a lack of development, and that is part of it. on the other hand, the talent level has only increased with each class of players recruited. Talent has to be there for development to occur, mike evans for example. Evans was more a product of sumlins staff than shermans. If claiborne stayed out of trouble he would be a star despite snyders deficiency in scheme. People point to harris and raven and everett as sumlin shortcomings, but they suffered under snyders scheme and being moved around from year to year.

Blame sumlin for keeping snyder too long sure, but people seem to neglect how unimpressive our defensive roster was when he took over. Its hard for any coach, even the almighty charlie strong to over come having almost no defensive linemen recruited two years in a row before they arrive at a school. And its not like we had world beaters at the rest of the defensive spots minus the senior leaders that managed to stay healthy in 2012.

I actually find it quite impressive that sumlin got a guy like labhart to be as successful as he was for us. And dont forget guys like reynolds and neiderhofer being identified, recruited, and developed by sumlin and his staff.
phatbeast
AG
quote:
The guy can recruit and develop talent.... The most impressive thing is that most of these nine guys weren't studs coming out of HS , they were developed ..... Something that Coach Sumlin has not shown.... It will be interesting to see how the next couple of years go....remember, we strongly considered Charlie when we hired Sumlin!!

Good point, I remember the huge recruiting coup when we got consensus five-star studs, Johnny Manziel and Mike Evans.
Aggie1
AG
and what were their SAT scores and what were their majors?
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
This old Army hopes it was hurt and not Strong. That would not be good!

my god sip, are you still doing this stupid schtick?
FL_Ag1998
AG
I'm not surprised at SeaAGS summary or any of his other statements, because he is a longhorn. If you're bored take a look at his posting history. Every single one of them reads straight out of a longhorn strategy guide on how to address A&M.

Sumlin inherited all of his talent everywhere he's gone...he's never developed any of it...A&M keeps getting worse every year under Sumlin...it's no wonder there are Aggie jokes and everybody in the world laughs at Aggies....meanwhile Strong is the best coach other than Saban....the horns out recruited us this year...and on and on and on. Every single sip talking point that's been recited the past year he hits on.

A piece of advice to SeaAGS...make your trolling efforts a little more believable.

Dumbass.
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:

The bottom line is the NFL trusts, respects and admires a Chollie Strong program. If you don't think that the HS coaches & recruits are not going to notice, then you simply have your head in the sand.

Sumlin better starting winning or he is going to lose the momentum Johnny gave this program.

Thanks for this little bit of foolishness. Needed the lulz this morning.
Aftermath
AG
My point is that guys like Briles at Baylor, Pinkel at Mizzou, Patterson at TCU, Freeze at Ole Miss, Strong at Louisville( jury is out at tu )..... Have consistently done more with less than Sumlin has...... We are out of Sherman players now and the time to produce is at hand....... We have more money, resources, recruits, facilities,reputation , etc. than these other guys, but they continue to match or beat our performance..... Our coaches salaries are higher so the results are not in our favor at this point.... With our maroon colored glasses aside and our head out of the sand ..... its ok to evaluate our results to this point..... Snyder is easy to blame but he was Sumlins responsibility so the blame always comes to the top...... Maybe this is the year that it all come together!!! I hope it is.... But the honeymoon has definitely passed by...
Agree with aftermath to an extent -- Sumlin needs to produce this year. I think he will.
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
My point is that guys like Briles at Baylor, Pinkel at Mizzou, Patterson at TCU, Freeze at Ole Miss, Strong at Louisville( jury is out at tu )..... Have consistently done more with less than Sumlin has...... We are out of Sherman players now and the time to produce is at hand....... We have more money, resources, recruits, facilities,reputation , etc. than these other guys, but they continue to match or beat our performance..... Our coaches salaries are higher so the results are not in our favor at this point.... With our maroon colored glasses aside and our head out of the sand ..... its ok to evaluate our results to this point..... Snyder is easy to blame but he was Sumlins responsibility so the blame always comes to the top...... Maybe this is the year that it all come together!!! I hope it is.... But the honeymoon has definitely passed by...

You point to recent developments in our athletic/facilities spending as if it has been in place for many years when we really only started upgrading quite recently. i get that the salary makes excuses hard to hear, but there have been legitimate excuses other than what a coach can control.

Ill give you briles at baylor and patterson at TCU. no doubt those are good coaches. But maybe, just maybe, their perception is aided by a weak conference schedule. Pinkel at mizzou is a great example of a coach over achieving as is bill snyder at ksu. There is no doubt bill snyder is one of college footballs best coaches, and he always has his guys hungry and ready to play.

As far as Hugh Freeze, im not so sure he has really had less than us, especially on defense. There was a point in time when i would have traded our defensive 2 deep depth chart with just about any team. Vandy was more talented than us on defense at one point, so its not like we really had all that much more than these other schools.

Just because were Texas A&M doesnt mean we still werent a defensive dead zone for a decade prior to joining the SEC. The ripples from that chapter of football are still reverberating and progress has been impeded by massive attrition that seems to have slowed recently.

The wait and see approach is fine, but you cant just look at the surface and say "well, we spend more and have better facilities and were in texas so we should be number one". Thats like someone with new money trying carry themselves like someone with old money. I know its hard to believe, but there were a lot of teams that had better rosters than us specifically on defense as we entered the SEC.

The program is coming out of a dark period of no defense, inept at times offense, and little facilities spending, but 2012 fooled us into thinking we had arrived as a big boy program.

Ask Hugh Freeze how important it is to not have glaring holes on the roster when you take over a program. Ask Dan Mullen why it took him so long to be a contender.
FL_Ag1998
AG
^ this 100%.
corvettemike86
AG
Bump this thread after you go 4-8 this year sip... it will give you something to talk about...
FabricatorAg
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:

I'll give you Briles - he's an awesome coach. Otherwise, you seem to have a very short memory.

Patterson went 7-6 and 4-8 in his first 2 years in the Big XII. I didn't hear anyone talking about how much more he had done (now that he had competition every week) versus Sumlin until this past year.
Freeze went 7-6, 8-5 in his first years. Again, didn't hear this talk of how much more he was doing with less until this past year (when he won 9).
SeaAGS
quote:
SeaAGS, im surprised you agree with aftermath's assessment of sumlin and his staffs development abilities.

Snyder was a mistake to keep aroundn ill give you that. That plus the glaring holes that were on the defensive depth chart have been very hard to fill. There wasnt much there to develop behind the seniors in 2012 and those that were here that showed promise in the next classes turned out to be criminals, or wanted to transfer, or had career ending injuries.

People point to underclassmen starting over upper classmen as a lack of development, and that is part of it. on the other hand, the talent level has only increased with each class of players recruited. Talent has to be there for development to occur, mike evans for example. Evans was more a product of sumlins staff than shermans. If claiborne stayed out of trouble he would be a star despite snyders deficiency in scheme. People point to harris and raven and everett as sumlin shortcomings, but they suffered under snyders scheme and being moved around from year to year.

Blame sumlin for keeping snyder too long sure, but people seem to neglect how unimpressive our defensive roster was when he took over. Its hard for any coach, even the almighty charlie strong to over come having almost no defensive linemen recruited two years in a row before they arrive at a school. And its not like we had world beaters at the rest of the defensive spots minus the senior leaders that managed to stay healthy in 2012.

I actually find it quite impressive that sumlin got a guy like labhart to be as successful as he was for us. And dont forget guys like reynolds and neiderhofer being identified, recruited, and developed by sumlin and his staff.
Very enlightening. You gave me a different perspective.
SeaAGS
quote:
quote:

You point to recent developments in our athletic/facilities spending as if it has been in place for many years when we really only started upgrading quite recently. i get that the salary makes excuses hard to hear, but there have been legitimate excuses other than what a coach can control.

Ill give you briles at baylor and patterson at TCU. no doubt those are good coaches. But maybe, just maybe, their perception is aided by a weak conference schedule. Pinkel at mizzou is a great example of a coach over achieving as is bill snyder at ksu. There is no doubt bill snyder is one of college footballs best coaches, and he always has his guys hungry and ready to play.

As far as Hugh Freeze, im not so sure he has really had less than us, especially on defense. There was a point in time when i would have traded our defensive 2 deep depth chart with just about any team. Vandy was more talented than us on defense at one point, so its not like we really had all that much more than these other schools.

Just because were Texas A&M doesnt mean we still werent a defensive dead zone for a decade prior to joining the SEC. The ripples from that chapter of football are still reverberating and progress has been impeded by massive attrition that seems to have slowed recently.

The wait and see approach is fine, but you cant just look at the surface and say "well, we spend more and have better facilities and were in texas so we should be number one". Thats like someone with new money trying carry themselves like someone with old money. I know its hard to believe, but there were a lot of teams that had better rosters than us specifically on defense as we entered the SEC.

The program is coming out of a dark period of no defense, inept at times offense, and little facilities spending, but 2012 fooled us into thinking we had arrived as a big boy program.

Ask Hugh Freeze how important it is to not have glaring holes on the roster when you take over a program. Ask Dan Mullen why it took him so long to be a contender.
Good post
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
quote:
So in Charlies last year at Louisville he had Bridgewater and 9 other NFL draft picks and was never a threat to win the Championship.

Even in that crap conference, they had some really close wins. They were the biggest little fish in a little pond.
SeaAGS
quote:
quote:
quote:

Even in that crap conference, they had some really close wins. They were the biggest little fish in a little pond.
Then you probably are not impressed with what Sumlin accomplished at UH
Reginald Cousins
S
What a troll...
Paul Biegler, Esq.
AG
quote:

When is Charlie going to start winning?

What an incredibly transparent post. "The NFL trusts, respects and ADMIRES a Charlie Strong program"? What the **** are you talking about?
FabricatorAg
Let the NFL respect him, because the tu fan base won't after he falls on his face the next two years. He has zero, ZERO talent at the QB position, and in the Big 12 you won't compete without one. As for his "defense" at tu let's see where they are next year without Malcolm Brown(not the RB one) and the few other talents they lost. Sips stop fooling yourselves, you're roster is going to have to be replenished, if the results on the field the last 4 years weren't enough....you don't have the talent that Rivals rankings indicated. In three years the only people who'll respect Chollie is us, because your program will still be in decline. That is all, carry on.
longeryak
quote:
quote:

When is Charlie going to start winning?

It wasn't until year 3 of 'his' recruits at UL. He just signed 'his' first class in Austin due to how Delost and company handled the transition. Will he get year 4 to see if he can do it again?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.