Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why doesn't Sumlin provide a timeline or update on the coaching decisions?

5,428 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by GhostRider76
Post removed:
by user
Lilsmit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JeffHamilton82
I hope you are a girl because it is obvious you'don't understand college football. Please follow rule #1
redd38
AG
Cause he has no idea
oldarmy1
AG
Think about it. And the responses thus far are wrong.
Lilsmit
quote:
Think about it. And the responses thus far are wrong.
Oh please enlighten us oh wise one...
Madden
Show me a coach that does
tehmackdaddy
AG
Given that Sumlin's career depends on the success of the program, we can conclude that his actions - including what information he shares with the media - are in the best interests of the program.

Fans who demand and feel entitled to information regarding the inner workings of the program don't have the program's best interests in mind, just their own selfish and impatient desires. I am pleased we don't have a coach who caters to those people.
RAMF90
AG
I will assume that wasnt a serious quetion
jtpegues
AG
Assuming BF as the target, the timeline is now and has been obvious...they play a bowl game on the 27th and his bonus kicks in on the 31st...we should hear something after that...why would anyone even whisper anything about this until after the 1st...assuming that they believe that they have this lined up, then they should have pursued place C (assuming Muschamp was a quick plan A) as a contingency plan which they also shouldn't be leaking since the timeline for plan C will not kick in until after the deadline for plan B has been passed....based on rumors it appears that they have also done their homework on this as well. Silence is golden at this point...focus on the bowl game and worry about shoring up your recruiting after the DC is in place. I feel pretty positive about where we are on the defensive side of this issue...I am more curious about rumors on the offensive side...two spots open...
weeza
AG
Why would you think you deserve a timeline?
AnalogyAg

quote:

Why would you think you deserve a timeline?
The Lost
quote:
With three openings I'm just surprised he doesn't make more statements about the process.

The same reason your manager (if you're out in the working world) doesn't when there is an opening on your team.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Assistant coaches almost entirely move to other assistant jobs in January. That is why I posted from the beginning that if we didn't hire Muschamp, it would be January. That is typically the case unless you are hiring someone from a fired staff or hiring someone to be HC. I'm sure there are discussions and groundwork, bit expect quiet for another week or so.
Ridge14
He wants more decommits
monarch
S
"Assuming BF as the target, the timeline is now and has been obvious...they play a bowl game on the 27th and his bonus kicks in on the 31st...we should hear something after that...why would anyone even whisper anything about this until after the 1st...assuming that they believe that they have this lined up, then they should have pursued place C (assuming Muschamp was a quick plan A) as a contingency plan which they also shouldn't be leaking since the timeline for plan C will not kick in until after the deadline for plan B has been passed....based on rumors it appears that they have also done their homework on this as well. Silence is golden at this point...focus on the bowl game and worry about shoring up your recruiting after the DC is in place. I feel pretty positive about where we are on the defensive side of this issue...I am more curious about rumors on the offensive side...two spots open... "

Boy knows his chit...
monarch
S
Here's another; why does everybody think that Muschamp was the #1 priority? Did KDS make that statement? Don't doubt that KDS talked to him and/or his agent, but be real...Not here. He ended up where he wanted to in the first place.
JonSnow
Better question is the following: Why fire your DC before your bowl game, in the middle of recruiting season, when you have no clue who his replacement will be?
alamoaggie 64
I would rather Sumlin do the job he is paid to do. And I am sure communicating with you and me is not in his job description.
EKUAg
AG
quote:
Better question is the following: Why fire your DC before your bowl game, in the middle of recruiting season, when you have no clue who his replacement will be?

Isn't that what The Zoo wanted?
aTmAg
AG
quote:
Because he really sucked.
Demo_Slug
AG
I seem to recall, Texags wanted Snyder fired mid season. Now Texags is mad that he got fired at the end of the season.

Texags needs to make up his mind.
Ferg
Right now most coaches are in Bowl Prep working full days.
We are also in the dead period, so while that may not reduce the risk of decommits
it probably reduces the risk of players flipping to another school.
Like posted above, it will probably happen shortly after the 1st(still dead period), unless
its a coach who is in the National Championship Game or the NFL playoffs.
TAMU74
AG
Sumlin doesn't answer to texags so just be patient.
He knows what he's doing and he should take time to get it right.
papadoc
AG
Not to many dcs want to play for head coach who mainly cares about offense and runs fast pace. Look at all fast break spread teams and name one with a good def. Therefore he may have trouble finding a good dc willing to come here and risk their reputation
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Not to many dcs want to play for head coach who mainly cares about offense and runs fast pace. Look at all fast break spread teams and name one with a good def. Therefore he may have trouble finding a good dc willing to come here and risk their reputation
Uhmm, Malzahn???
FrontPorchAg
quote:
Why fire your DC before your bowl game, in the middle of recruiting season, when you have no clue who his replacement will be?
There were plenty of people that didn't want Snyder fired until we had a replacement. Sumlin was all but in the bag when Sherman was fired.
FrontPorchAg
quote:
quote:
Quote:Not to many dcs want to play for head coach who mainly cares about offense and runs fast pace. Look at all fast break spread teams and name one with a good def. Therefore he may have trouble finding a good dc willing to come here and risk their reputation
Uhmm, Malzahn???
Saban has even been playing a fair bit of uptempo. Gary Pinkel does it a lot and his defense isn't great but he was been to the SEC Championship game twice.
papadoc
AG
I think alabama and auburn run the ball and control more clock than we do
hunter2012
AG
I'm not sure if you watched this season, we hardly ever ran hurry up as far as getting to the line and snapping. 99% of the time we always lined up and checked the sideline...
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
I think alabama and auburn run the ball and control more clock than we do
And Auburn fired their DC, several times in the last few years.

Saban went up-tempo with Kiffen. Even Saban, who cried an moaned and wanted the hurry-up banned in college ball made the adjustment on defense. But when he faced Arkansas, he was very worried because his defense hadn't faced that type of pounding the football offense. And if Arkansas had made the kick?? Bama won 14-13.

Big Ten football is where you find DCs who can't adjust to faster offenses. The SEC has adjusted.
Dad
AG
We were not a hurry up team. We went 3 and out a ton, but we took our time doing it.
papadoc
AG
Thats my point hawk. You cant just try to outscore teams in the sec. You have to play def.
AnalogyAg
quote:
Why fire your DC before your bowl game, in the middle of recruiting season, when you have no clue who his replacement will be?

Oh yeah, it would be much better if Snyder was around, with all the speculation swirling about whether he will or wont be here next year- and all recruits wondering the same thing, not to mention the staff.

Some people don't think even one move ahead of stupid questions or assertions. And for the record, almost NO TEAM knows for sure who they're going to hire when they make a decision to terminate.

This is the way big boys operate in the real world. They make a decision when it needs to be made, then they move on. And they don't let other people's curiosity dictate their timeline or their actions.
GhostRider76
AG
If you want a great defense, you need an offense that controls the clock like Alabama...If the defense is not on the field the other team can't score on them or gain yards...The problem lie when your offense scores in 2 minutes that is if you score, and you put the defense back on the field...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.