Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M scheduling other teams on Thanksgiving

30,846 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Shooz in Katy
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it really the best food? If I wanted special food for a feast on another day of the year and could have anything I wanted, then turkey certainly wouldn't be the meat and I doubt any of that other stuff would be on the list either.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
Is it really the best food? If I wanted special food for a feast on another day of the year and could have anything I wanted, then turkey certainly wouldn't be the meat and I doubt any of that other stuff would be on the list either.
Then you're just un-American. Move to Russia, you commie.
JJxvi
AG
The main problem with Thanksgiving is that turkey sucks. It's a throwaway delimeat fowl. Its like going to Subway and having an epiphany with those turkey cold cuts. "Let's go home family! Today we're having turkey, but we're not gonna slice it up and we're gonna eat it warm!"

"Aww, that means we wont get to mask the taste with mustard and mayo and bread and other meat!?"

"Well, we'll have stuffing too!"
1876er
AG
quote:
We are one of two teams that play that day every year....even people that don't watch football will be forced to see us on the t.v that day ......dumbazz
Theres a reason nobody else plays that day. Similar to how college games aren't on Sundays.

If it were so important, the Iron Bowl and Ohio State-Michigan would play on thanksgiving. If it were so great, LSU would play on Thanksgiving on their home year.

In the last 17 years, we've played ON Thanksgiving four times (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011)
Velvet Jones
AG
I'm all for reducing the student allotment to the levels of Alabama and Auburn to play on Saturday.
kblake
aggieband 83
AG
quote:
......no need to try and make up for something that we can't admit we actually loved regarding the old rival.
Speak for yourself but not for me. I have always loved playing tu on Thanksgiving. I was mad when it got scheduled away from T-day.
Spyderman
AG
quote:
quote:
......no need to try and make up for something that we can't admit we actually loved regarding the old rival.
Speak for yourself but not for me. I have always loved playing tu on Thanksgiving. I was mad when it got scheduled away from T-day.
It made my day.
Menartx
AG
Thanksgiving Day!!!!!!
tbirdspur2010
AG
Thanksgiving Day game.
SECAggie70
AG
Stop playing on Thanksgiving, why? Watch the attendance at this game.
Kemo Sabe
This works out great! LSU in Kyle for thanksgiving, A&M @ LSU on Saturdays. Have thanksgiving, head to New Orleans on Friday, midnight yell on bourbon street and on to Baton Rouge for Saturday's game. Works out perfect. So much better than playing the sips.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Stop playing on Thanksgiving, why? Watch the attendance at this game.

Playing on Thanksgiving is dumb.
AgCPA
AG
From what I hear there is gonna be allot of empty in the stadium compared to other SEC games this season... can't help think thats because we didn't put it on Saturday. Hopefully the TV revenue will make up for it.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
From what I have heard, the players prefer to play on Thanksgiving, because then they get to go home for the rest of the weekend and see their families. If it is on Friday or Saturday, they have to stay and practice, and don't get to go home for nearly as long.
Sq 17
Friday or Saturday especially an 11 am kick would be worse for student attendance than Thursday evening

There is a reason tu was able to find teams willing to let them host a t day game every year
the other schools did not want a home game that weekend
Of course texags blind hatred of all things tu
has a conspiracy theory for why tu gets a home game every t day
bu is playing tceh in Arlington for the same reason

lots of Students will not stick around for a game unless it is a true rivalry game
with conference and National Championship implications

A&M V LSU is currently neither hopefully in 10 years it will be both
84AGEC
AG
the worst was the 11 am kick on Friday in Austin

Several years we have had Thanksgiving and drove up for the game . Both places .

And as said above, it allows players and families to do more over the long weekend .

Eat and football on Thursday , hunt or whatever Friday-Sunday

A&M and LSU have played a few times.

We are year three of our 100 year move.
twk
AG
quote:
Friday or Saturday especially an 11 am kick would be worse for student attendance than Thursday evening

There is a reason tu was able to find teams willing to let them host a t day game every year
the other schools did not want a home game that weekend
Of course texags blind hatred of all things tu
has a conspiracy theory for why tu gets a home game every t day
bu is playing tceh in Arlington for the same reason

lots of Students will not stick around for a game unless it is a true rivalry game
with conference and National Championship implications

A&M V LSU is currently neither hopefully in 10 years it will be both
This. There are no good options on the final weekend, but playing a big rivalry game on Thursday (afternoon would be better than evening) is the least bad option. Friday is the worst, with Saturday only marginally better. Those of us who've been around since the '70s have seen pretty much every permutation. A good example was when we played Arkansas for the SWC championship (winner take all) on the Saturday after Thanksgiving in '89 and there were only about 59,000 in attendance (capacity was 72,000). That's just a really tough weekend for attendance. Given that this is college football, I think you have to go with the date that works best for the students and student-athletes.
Sq 17
personally my least favorite was TCU the Saturday after Tday ('84) with the horns first week of december
Mayhaw Jelly
AG
seems like a good time for a bump
Red Stick
Play the game in CS and BR on Friday night. Night, not afternoon.

Call it the Black Friday Showdown.
Spyderman
AG
LSU on Thurs, Friday or Sat is great. Playing ARK in Arlington is the head scratcher. You think Jerry wanted this game? Of course he did....ARK is desperate to gain a foothold on the Texas recruit market. So, why did we decide to give them a glimmer of a chance at that? Would be like A&M playing LSU every year in the Superdome or OKLA coming down the the Cotton Bowl every year to play UTa.

I think it would be neat to play LSU in the Superdome each year...
Skull Session
The NFL has taken over Tday. It is a lost cause to play a college game on that day. I like the idea of. Moving the LSU game to a Friday night or even to Saturday. Let the NFL have Tday.
AgCPA
AG
I agree, LSU refuses to play on Tday for its fans players and particularly the staff that don't have a choice about pulling off gameday. We should do the same. If its not UT, then just schedule the weekend, rather be hunting or with family that day.
West Point Aggie
AG
quote:
Play the game in CS and BR on Friday night. Night, not afternoon.

Call it the Black Friday Showdown.

Agree...this makes most sense...fighting the NFL for ratings that day is a losing battle even if it is a 1 vs 2 game (which would be a blast)
halfastros81
AG
It's very clear we are going to play LSU on Turkey day at Kyle and on Friday or Saturday in red stick. When the game is played does not really matter to me. Just win it.
Shooz in Katy
AG
I get to escape my in laws all day on T Day every year they are here, which is every other year, which falls perfectly into the current setup. It was much better watching us lose to lsu this year in person than spending all day at my house hiding from most of the people in my house.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.