Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why is Kyle starting

21,736 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by jgince
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did he truly beat out Hill?
or is KDS making a change just to make a change?

Not complaing. But what's really happening on the practice field and in the locker room?
Sandman98
AG
Gives the program cover if they are mediocre against ULM. If he starts Hill again and we look average it would be on Sumlin. He doesn't want that.
dirkjones
AG
Zoo always gets what it asks for
chipotle
quote:
up-n-aTm
AG
My guess? Kyle is showing some fire and some energy. KDS is hoping he's got some better leadership qualities and some enthusiasm that will spill over onto some other players.
Swagmanag
More likely the result of pressure from alums. I feel bad for trill, I think he was a victim of overhype.
AggieDruggist89
AG
quote:
My guess? Kyle is showing some fire and some energy. KDS is hoping he's got some better leadership qualities and some enthusiasm that will spill over onto some other players.

Some fire? Hoping a lot of fire.
TexasAggiesWin
S
When the offense is progessively getting worse over the course of 7 games, if coaches don't begin making changes, they put themselves in the hot seat.
d78230
AG
If your starting qb goes out and gets plastered right before going on the road to play bama, you need to switch qbs.
No Spin Ag
quote:
More likely the result of pressure from alums. I feel bad for trill, I think he was a victim of overhype.

The way Sumlin looked like at the presser after the assraping by 'Bama, it seemed obvious that his emotional state came from more than just the team losing. I agree that the change is more from the pressure of those who are paying Sumlin's salary than anything else.

Sumlin may not be getting any "#1s" from people in College Station, but I guarantee you he's getting plenty of words, and other things, from big cigar Ags.
BBQ4Me
AG
KDS explicitly said he won't make a change just to make a change.
evan_aggie
AG
quote:

Not complaing. But what's really happening on the practice field and in the locker room?

6 turnovers in the last 3 games wasnt a great way to keep the job. Of course, throwing behind or to the back shoulder of a receiver 5-8 yards downfield was also not a good way to keep the job.
CosmicMaskedAvenger
AG
To keep him away from the camera girl.
gopitt
Hill has gone straight downhill.
And, if the rumors about his NG escapades are true, he is not capable of being an effective leader.
Good luck to Kyle. Hope we can get this ship righted.
AccountantAg
AG
quote:

At this point the only pass hill can make is the "wounded duck". It'd be hard to believe Allen can't play better than that.
Here4Beer
AG
He's starting Kyle over Kenny b/c Kenny has gotten worse every start since SC. That's not the trajectory you want at a major program like A&M. Kyle was the #1 QB in the nation for a reason, starting him now gets him the opportunity to get out some kinks against ULM and give him actual SEC experience with Auburn, Mizzou, and LSU. We obviously won't win out but this experience now could prove invaluable for Kyle come the kick off game against ASU next year.

sarcazm04
If both quarterbacks are neck in neck when it comes to talent, then they should pick the one that has the better leadership qualities. Kenny's laid back attitude may be his downfall. I'm pretty laid back myself and find myself struggling with leadership qualities. If Kyle can affect the rest of the team, then he would be the better pick. Who knows, though? Kenny may be struggling at practice because he's mad at himself or depressed about it and Kyle may be fired up to get a chance to be a starter. I just hope Sumlin made the right choice. But we're also stuck with who we've got. Two young quarterbacks without a whole bunch of experience... playing in the SEC. It may not matter who Sumlin chooses. The whole team needs to step up. Get those kids excited about playing. We may not have a chance at a playoff game anymore, but you can't just quit. Some of these players may end up getting drafted to the NFL some day and no NFL team wants quitters. And the better you play today, the better you play tomorrow. Finishing the season with wins will better your chances for next year.
aggiebrother33
quote:
He's starting Kyle over Kenny b/c Kenny has gotten worse every start since SC. That's not the trajectory you want at a major program like A&M. Kyle was the #1 QB in the nation for a reason, starting him now gets him the opportunity to get out some kinks against ULM and give him actual SEC experience with Auburn, Mizzou, and LSU. We obviously won't win out but this experience now could prove invaluable for Kyle come the kick off game against ASU next year.

+1

Allen was the #1 pocket passer in the country, they tried the dual threat with Kenny and realized he isn't Johnny. Now we can see if KA is as accurate as advertised and can open the field up with longer passes. KA is more mobile than advertised if things break down, and I see him turning into a leader and more vocal than KH which we desperately need.
Bonfire1996
AG
Read between the lines.

- We never got confirmation that Kenny Hill and friends went out on Thursday before Bama. When I say confirmation, I mean from Sumlin or Kenny's own words. We have the word of fans, and the word of Liucci saying, "some kids probably went out Thursday" like most do. Nonetheless, we didn't get anything official.

- We now hear of a "moratorium" of sorts on the bars on Thursday night. That, to me, is an official confirmation of the first point. Why place a moratorium on the bars if they weren't being abused?

- Sumlin is on the record, prior to Miss St, that he had to compromise some of his beliefs to have Kenny be his quarterback. Sumlin intimated that he needed his quarterback to be his leader, to be his torch bearer, to be his ass kicker. In other words, Johnny was perfect for Sumlin. Sumlin had to suspend this requirement of his for Kenny Hill, who was reserved. And when Kenny stunk up the joint and went into his turtle shell, which was different than when things were going good, Sumlin was clearly upset. And when Kenny tried to then exit his turtle shell, with his true colors already on display....it went over like a lead balloon: See Germain Ifedi, see his OL ignore him on the sideline at Bama.

If Kyle Allen doesn't come out and throw several picks, he is your QB for the rest of 2014. Sumlin was never quite comfortable with Kenny Hill as his QB. Kenny's actions on Thursday before Bama made it easy for him to make the change the first chance he got.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Little I've seen of KA, he does seem to move better than Hill.
saw em off
Did you not see the needles he threaded in the last Pulse episode?
Citizen Reign
quote:
If your starting qb goes out and gets plastered right before going on the road to play bama, you need to switch qbs.
So Thursday night is right before the 2:30 Bama game?
Bonfire1996
AG
quote:
quote:
Considering the team left College Station less than 12 hours after Kenny left the bars......yes.
aggiepaintrain
AG
do you live under a rock?
Ervin Burrell
AG
quote:
quote:
You're really going to defend our underage QB going out and getting sh/tfaced 36 hours before starting a game against top 10 Alabama?
AccountantAg
AG
quote:
quote:

Also I would say if you're playing like crap you shouldn't be at the bars any day of the week.

Just because JFF could get trashed M-F and then drop 42 on bama doesn't mean Kenny hill can.
Mr.KyleReed
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:

Well, Hill has had his shot for the last 3 weeks and gotten progressively worse. Leaving him in is like Jerry leaving Romo in and wondering why they haven't made it to the Super Bowl.
millertyme
AG
I think "reopening the QB battle" pretty much meant Kyle was going to start. No good could have come out of opening it up and then picking Kenny. The decision further decreased the confidence of an already unconfident starter and offered another "opportunity" to get the hopes up of the backup (who would be more upset had he remained backup).
The Collective
AG
Perhaps Kenny is showing them things in practice that aren't translating to games (like completing a 5 yard pass). Based on that knowledge, maybe it makes sense to play Allen even if he is not technically the better QB in practice. Just a thought.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
quote:
TexasAggiesWin
S
quote:

I've never heard a coach ever say that he was making a change 'just to make a change'.
jim 78
AG
My guess is they just want to see how he plays when he gets a start.
Pure Aggie
AG
quote:
Coloaggie85
AG
Is he starting because KDS no longer thinks that Kyler will sign with the good guys and he has to have a solution for the next three years?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.