Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What is tshirt fan?

10,313 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by JonLobb
AgBeliever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
. If you are not currently enrolled in the university or a graduate, you are not an Aggie or a Longhorn. You are a fan, which is fine.
so if you attend but don't graduate you'e not an Aggie?

I left A&M to enlist in the military. Here all along I thought I was an Aggie. Guess I was wrong.

Just my opinion. I am not the arbiter of who is or is not an Aggie.

Thank you for your service, btw.
but your opinion is that I'm not an Aggie. Just so we're clear.
Not everyone has that opinion Jon.
12mn95
AG
quote:
quote:
. If you are not currently enrolled in the university or a graduate, you are not an Aggie or a Longhorn. You are a fan, which is fine.

I left A&M to enlist in the military. Here all along I thought I was an Aggie. Guess I was wrong.
You're an Aggie...no doubt in my mind....
Squadron7
AG
quote:
There are a lot of guys from classes in the early and mid-forties that left and never graduated.

They are not only Aggies, they are the best among us. And may they rest in peace.
strbrst777
There's no such thing as a t-shirt fan. The term is used by some arrogant, condescending jerks who get their kicks by trying to put down others who, for whatever reason, did not attend the school named on the shirt. A fan is a fan!
Ag fan grunt
I'm a "T-shirt" fan. When I was 9, I asked Santa for Christmas if I could go to A&M. I've been a fan my whole life. After HS I didn't go to college, I went to the Army and became an Infantryman, I'm still there now. I've rooted for A&M my whole life and I have zero ties to the school. Nobody in my family nor any of my HS friends attended but I still choose to be a fan. I was a fan during the R.C. years, the Fran years, the Sherman years and I'm still a fan in the Sumlin era. Call me a T-Shirt fan all you want but I know quite a few alum that took their T-Shirts off during the last 15 years or after a loss.
dixichkn
AG
Only time I ever have an issue with it is when some Tshirt pulling for another school has the nerve to talk crap about A&M, the traditions, the Corps etc because 99 1/2% of the time they are grossly misinformed about whatever it is they're trying to get at. Just seems to irritate me more when it's coming from someone who has no ties to the school they're supporting other than that Tshirt. If you're just being a casual fan, then whatever, you do your thing and it doesn't matter to me at all. I welcome as many Tshirt fans that want to support A&M as possible as long as they don't embarrass my university. Same goes for anybody that actually got the sheepskin.
FriscoKid
AG
A t-shirt fan is like a former co-worker of mine that had a longhorn hat. I asked him if he went to school there. He said no and then he said something to the effect of "they are the school in Austin right?"

The texsa tee shirt fans are buying a product because it says "Texas" and therefore they must be Texas. They don't follow the team or know anything about them. They are like the guys in dallas that just roots for the cowboys because he is in that town or roots for the texans because he is in houston or the homeless guys in waco that roots for the bears because he can see the stadium and the campus because it is next to his bridge.
lancer_75701
By some definitions I guess I'm a t-shirt fan. I did not go to A&M. I have been a fan my whole life since 1979. My great grandfathers went there, my grandfather went there( my grandmother still wears her ring), My uncle was commander of the Maroon band in 74 (I think). My aunts and uncles went there. Until it fell, I never missed bonfire. That was pretty much a family reunion and my best memories as a kid. I have worn my T-SHIRT with pride my whole life no matter what the football team did. I don't think that there is a better school anywhere and God willing my children will be there too.
pacmanj
AG
T shirt fan is the same as a bandwagoner. Someone who pulls for or doesn't pull for a team as quick as it takes to switch TShirts to another team. I don't define TShirt fan simply as someone who didn't attend the school. I know plenty of Aggies who didn't go to A&M and are better Aggies than some of the ones that went to school with me.
BubbaLu
I'm a big tshirt fan. Also a big fan of polo's and in the colder weather some would call me a sweatshirt or jacket fan. Just don't think of me as a sweater fan.
ABATTBQ11
AG
The correct question is, "Vhat iz tee shirlt fen?"
JonLobb

Ultimate t-shirt fan t-shirt

btw, on sale now!
AgCPA
AG
T- Shirt fans are not necessarily anyone that roots for a college team they didn't graduate from. This is my take.

This term refers to uneducated fans of university sports in areas where there is no pro team for them to identify with. They show up at games in their best attire, at shirt with a mustard stain, beer in one hand, dog in the other. They tend to root more obnoxiously for the team than even the students of the school. They often take construction jobs where they brag about sabotaging opposing team's stadiums. Not that they really intend too, but they are generally too stupid to understand the ramifications
of posting this on social media.

That's a t shirt fan.
saw em off
Been a loyal Ag since the mid-80's. I had to stay local for college so didn't get to go to A&M.

I'm not a t-shirt fan, I'm a spirit fan!
mike_ags_fan12
I have been loyal since 94 when my cousin enrolled there. I was 6.
Ulrich
Big difference between a normal fan who happens to have never attended the university and a t-shirt fan.

A t-shirt fan is obnoxious and probably a bandwagoner. He'll claim decades of loyal fan hood, but his apparel probably didn't make it out of the dresser very often in the down times, while he'll trash rivals at every opportunity when "his" team is doing well. The phrase is a pejorative NOT intended to apply to everyone who cheers for a team but didn't attend the school.
AggieStout
AG
quote:

Ultimate t-shirt fan t-shirt

btw, on sale now!
I kinda want to buy it. Just cause i know in 5 years it will still be hilarious.
BJC
AG
quote:
One friend of mine is a diehard Longhorn fan who went to UT Arlington. He was taken aback when I explained why he wasn't a Longhorn. He said, "Even though I've been following them for my whole life and know all of the history, traditions, etc., and I graduated from a school within the UT system, I'm still not a Longhorn?"

I explained that if you didn't go to the school, it just isn't the same. Also, UT Arlington has its own mascot (Mavericks). He was skeptical. I said, "Look at it this way. You have three kids. Let's say I have read every book on parenting ever printed. I have a PhD in Childhood Development. But, I have never raised kids. When I talk to you about child rearing, it just isn't the same as someone who has actually done it. Right?" That's when he got it.

TPS_Report,

Your friend is a Maverick via being a UT Arlington alumnus.
BJC
Texas A&M Aggie Class of '96
12mn95
AG
quote:
There's no such thing as a t-shirt fan. The term is used by some arrogant, condescending jerks who get their kicks by trying to put down others who, for whatever reason, did not attend the school named on the shirt. A fan is a fan!
Just a really good post. I can't think of a more accurate answer to the T Shirt Fan debate....it's stupid. That's a big reason we joined the SEC, to expand the brand and make more Aggie fans who will buy our apparel and watch our games. The school gets it.

Don't know why some people are so arrogant about it. It's not that hard to get into A&M. No need to be elitist about it.
hassan10s
AG
quote:
Ag Tag...?

In all seriousness, Once an Aggie, always an Aggie. Especially if life dictated that you couldn't finish your degree.

Fans who didn't attend are great.... There are plenty in my family. Some who are more redass than a lot of the engineering students I attend class with.

But the T-Shirt fan term refers to the bandwagon folks who know nothing about A&M, and will be gone at the turn of another bad season. And even talking trash about A&M now that we're not doing so good. It has to do with the loyalty to the school and team that we generally expect to see when we see someone wearing maroon and white.
hassan10s
AG
quote:
quote:
Just a really good post. I can't think of a more accurate answer to the T Shirt Fan debate....it's stupid. That's a big reason we joined the SEC, to expand the brand and make more Aggie fans who will buy our apparel and watch our games. The school gets it.

Don't know why some people are so arrogant about it. It's not that hard to get into A&M. No need to be elitist about it.
I don't think anyone is being elitist or arrogant. It is certainly not hard to get into A&M. But it is something special to all of us who took in all A&M had to offer in our time here. The one's who stuck through the ups and the downs of everything from bonfire to football.

So when people come along who know nothing about any of that and then trash the jersey they bought because Kenny is no longer trill, it is annoying.
JonLobb
When I start seeing A&M shirts at Wal-Marts in Dallas, I'll be worried about t-shirt fans.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.