Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Remember when we'd have non televized games?

9,245 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by spaceman
STX Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry guys, just tired of this ***got and his multiple personalities and self-depraving schtick.

Carry on, as you were.
AgsMyDude
AG
I remember thinking the stat tracker was broken when KSU was destroying us on the road (in 09?)
BeveledAg
quote:
Sorry guys, just tired of this ***got and his multiple personalities and self-depraving schtick.

Carry on, as you were.
Caesar4
AG
Oh man, one thing I'm glad to no longer deal with is that POS NeuLion GameTracker that seemed to always freeze at the worst time.
whoop91
AG
quote:
I remember the 2009 game wasn't on TV and following the madness on Texags and someone posting being told to stay on the crapper cause it was good luck.

I remember that too. That was damn funny.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
quote:
I think we had a ppv game last year and I know we had one year one in sec... Just saying

IIRC when we played Tech in 2008 there was no way to watch the game on TV. Ppv is at least on TV.
Personal Best
AG
quote:

Carry on, as you were.
lotoarmy
AG
I am old enough to remember when Saturdays had "The Game of the Week" and that was just about it for the nation. That was a bummer. Even big games like Old Miss at LSU, when Billy Cannon made his famous punt return, were only on the radio. Lots of time spent moving the car around the farm (not many pickups had radios then) to get to a better spot that would pick up the game.
gigemags-99
AG
quote:
quote:
I remember the 2009 game wasn't on TV and following the madness on Texags and someone posting being told to stay on the crapper cause it was good luck.

I remember that too. That was damn funny.

The crapper game!!!!
rsemingson
Don't think any New Army remembers Kern Tips announcing aggie football on the radio in the 60's and early 70's sponsored by Humble Corp. And on AM only. TV's in the dorms had rabbit ears.
Boise.RLM
I do miss all the TexAgs threads ranting about how insufferable Dave South play-by-play is.
Dr. Horrible
I had the 2000 season schedule pulled up earlier and this thread made me look at TV for that year. 3 non-televised games, 2 of which were conference games... Way to go Big 12!
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
I am old enough to remember when Saturdays had "The Game of the Week" and that was just about it for the nation. That was a bummer. Even big games like Old Miss at LSU, when Billy Cannon made his famous punt return, were only on the radio. Lots of time spent moving the car around the farm (not many pickups had radios then) to get to a better spot that would pick up the game.

I remember my dad hopping in the car to try to pick up Louisiana radio when LSU was playing. As a little kid I had no idea why he liked to go sit in the driveway or slowly drive down the street on a nice Saturday.

Even in the 80s and 90s most schools not named Notre Dame were lucky to get 3 games a year. Now people whine if they can't get a powder puff game in HD in BFE.
RAB83
AG
quote:
Don't think any New Army remembers Kern Tips announcing aggie football on the radio in the 60's and early 70's sponsored by Humble Corp. And on AM only.

I remember listening to the tu game on the radio, when the Ags made a miracle come from behind upset victory. Sadly, the only reason we even got the game was tu. We couldn't even get radio broadcasts of A&M in North Texas. You found the scores by reading the Sunday newspaper (for New Army, that was this thing they printed on big sheets of paper with stuff you find on the Internet today - kids would roll them up, ride their bikes early in the morning, and through them on your driveway).

quote:
TV's in the dorms had rabbit ears.

One guy in our dorm had a microwave, which was illegal for some reason. He put rabbit ears on it and the RA never noticed it.
AnalogyAg
Truly, some of the best games ever played in the Big 12 were the UNTELEVISED Texas A&M vs. Texas Tech games.

That Fox tv package was the worst. thanks lapdog Bebe or whatever your name was.....
Post removed:
by user
Meximan
quote:
I think we had a ppv game last year and I know we had one year one in sec... Just saying
That still means the game was on TV. Just sayin'.
1aggie02
AG
quote:
Honest to god during Fran I remember not watching games a couple times and then casually checking the score afterwards.

This belongs on the confessions thread.
Bose Ikard
In the old SEC, every team had one PPV per year. Now, every game is on national television.

If we were still in the Big 12, we'd still have multiple games each year that weren't on TV.
BMX Bandit
That's false
Post removed:
by user
PineAg
This is for all of you old guys. Remember when the games were broadcast on the Enco/Exxon Radio Network. Before ESPN, we had to rely on ABC to televise Aggie games. Verne Lundquist always got the Aggie games and he was such a Pro-Longhorn commentator. First TV game I remember was A&M/Illinois back in the Bellard days.
Bose Ikard
quote:
That's false
What's false?
TXRed75
AG
I "watched" many games on ESPN game cast on my flip phone in '09. Kept checking on the Tech score at the Surf Club and thinking we'd blow the lead till the very end. My GA friend didn't understand my BAS.
BMX Bandit
All of our games will be televised if we were in the big 12. They have a new television contract.
Teslag
AG
Bmx, would they still all be televised with 12 teams instead of 10?
BMX Bandit
And don't see why not.

A lot has changed in tv programming since last tv deal when we were in big 12.
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
What year was it that we were the last Div 1 school to be televised? It was like not until the fourth or fifth game.

Yes, the BDF sucked.

I think it was 2010 maybe that we were the least televised team in the country. We had 6 games not televised. The next least was a tie at 4 games. So not only did we have the worst media coverage, it was the worst by a mile. You know your conference sucks when Army, Navy, and San Diego State gets on TV more than you. Idaho too. Most of their fans didn't even own TV's.

Speaking of memories from that era, remember the whining from our AD about PPV revenues while the Big 10 was starting it's own telesvision network? That was a great visionary we had in Dollar Bill. We got some lengthy discussion about how the new pizza ovens were shorting out on the old wiring and more whining about how we weren't buying the most expensive tickets in the country.

[EDIT] It was 2009. New Mexico, Utah State, UAB, Tech, Iowa St, and Baylor were not televised. All wins. That was awful. In the last 15 years, 2003 was the only other season without a televised win.
W
AG
the whole not on TV thing and PPV fiascos...

go on the negative side of the Byrne ledger

was it the 2009 or 2010 season where every major conference team (and most minor conference teams) had been on TV in the month of September...except for the Ags
aTm2004
AG
quote:
All of our games will be televised if we were in the big 12. They have a new television contract.

Didn't that come from realignment after Colorado and Nebraska bolted and we tested the waters?
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
Didn't that come from realignment after Colorado and Nebraska bolted and we tested the waters?

That sounds right. In my memory we were set to jump when at the last second some ambiguous TV contract was suddenly agreed to and A&M agreed to stay in exchange for some promised money in the future and Big XII Bucks that were good for in stadium merchanise and concession purchases. And our AD thought this a good deal while his previous employer was hightailing it to the B1G.
spaceman
AG
quote:
quote:
Jeez this board has gotten hostile...

**** you
I have to say that was pretty funny.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.