Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Thoughts on statues?

110,588 Views | 469 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aeon-ag
Old Main
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry, but some of the statues are a little strange looking. E. King Gill has funny arms. Some of the faces look possessed - weird expressions. Why do we need two E. King Gill statues? I was never a fan of the idea of the a statue of sawing varsity's horns off... Why does this need to even be a statue?

What is the general consensus so far?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/F4lKw2Et.png[/img]
Seven Psycho Ags
I heard if you walk up to one of the statues at midnight and say Fran's name 3 times he'll appear
DRE06
AG
Because the old grey hairs on the decision-making committees are out of touch with what is normal and cool.

Simply trying too hard.
ConLaw
AG
There is another thread about this very subject just below this one.

And the new 12th Man Statue's head is too big.
SeniorChang
AG
Ya I am hoping to hear more in this as well. Hopefully it's "wait until you see it in person. It's not as bad as it looks in pictures".
BeveledAg
Getting ready to start a letter writing campaign?
Aggie99
AG
Awful
Old Main
AG
marble rye
AG
I prefer to call this piece, "Zombie Apocalypse Tough Mudder".
SeniorChang
AG
I prefer the war hymn zombies to the Frankenstein 12th man. How in this day and age it's possible to finish a project like this without realizing it looks awful is beyond me. Seriously did no one say anything?
FrontPorchAg
Why is the listeater in the middle?
marble rye
AG
At least the tshirt dress with boots wardrobe choice has been captured forever.
Muy
AG
If the Saw Varsity's statue sees anyone walk on the grass or hears of someone not uncovering, one of them will awaken and hunt said person down.
Old Main
AG
SIAP

marble rye
AG
Why is a yell leader holding a chainsaw? Dafuq?

What sound does a chainsaw make?
tamc12
AG
Total waste money. Statue of a yell leader? And that war hymn statue is really a mess and just dumb.
I can picture these being targets of paint in the near future, especially the war hymn one.
I read an article that said there would 6 or 7 more on the north plaza next year. Is that correct? Like football player statues?
AggieNM48
AG
Dafac? Chainsaw?
Lukeno
AG
Creepy, poorly designed, embarrassing...

Everything about the stadium renovations thus far is absolutely amazing, except for these behemoths
Old Main
AG
Why not include the List Eater? She is a legendary TexAgs creature.

Legendary List Eater Thread

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hideous.
Old Main
AG
Maybe they should have unveiled these statues on Halloween...

Bed Sores
Old Main is old and his schtick is even older
Lungblood
Old Main
Aggie99
AG
quote:
Old Main is old and his schtick is even older

Maybe....but the statues are awful.
OrygunAg
AG
Hideous, seriously disproportioned, lacking emotion. Not kidding that my kid might do better with his mashed potatoes recreating devils tower. The war hymn statue is the worst. The kids all look like they stepped out of Shrek. Dammit. Melt em down and start the hell over.
aggiecouch
Hate to piss on someones hard work but yeah...should have been executed better...as in they should have executed the artist responsible...
OrygunAg
AG
Second take on the statues: These are terrible. The guy who does chainsaw carvings up the road has these beat. His indians, bears and eagles fighting wild salmon would look better there.
Old Main
AG
SIAP

ATTENTION NEW ARMY: You now have a sculpture of an extremely large-breasted woman in cowboy boots and a stereotypically-Greek "**** me" skirt, immortalized in bronze for all of eternity outside of Kyle Field. The possibilities for the integration of the "T**s McGee" statue into the lore of life and tradition on campus are boundless. MAKE US PROUD.

Trogdor
AG
I concur with every statment.
heddy Lamarr
AG
If they didn't win a war then no statue...seriously, the SEC is bronze happy and so are we
Capt_Crunch 14
AG
The guy in the middle is wearing cargo shorts
redd38
AG
quote:
Simply trying too hard.

This.

I always thought these statues sucked, I wish they had gone the way of the 12 empty seats. I feel like there was a meeting where some idiot was throwing out ideas and no one has the balls to tell him the ideas were bad. (I think I know who that idiot was)
Citizen Reign
Looks like a scene out of The Walking Dead.
Capt. America
AG
Old E. King Gill needs to be in Kyle. That's all I've got to say. Being able to see both statues, the new and the old in the same space is a poor move by the university. It's confusing and dumb...
[img]http://i.imgur.com/SGWAsbY.png[/img]
Citizen Reign
quote:
Old E. King Gill needs to be in Kyle. That's all I've got to say. Being able to see both statues, the new and the old in the same space is a poor move by the university. It's confusing and dumb...

Wait, your telling me that chose to put two statues of the same man in one space?Wow, that is dumb I doubt that ever happened in Rome, and those people had a few statues.

The issue is that giant statues of kids in casual clothing does not come across as something that should be in bronze.

They could have gone with a few members of FTAB or the Corps, at least they are in uniform.

But hey, they are way better than that thing they put up infront of Baylor's new stadium. That RG3 statue is fn hilarious. He looks like a white surfer dude.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.