Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

No Aggie Band in Columbia SC

26,727 Views | 192 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by tbirdspur2010
oil_fielder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No bq wants to spend their precious summer time on hot band practice and a trip to any Carolina before school starts?
Herknav
AG
//wbt5845, How about sending the Sea Ags from Galveston, understand they have a band for formal occasions. Understand its a military band > 100 and probably could rep the Ags versus no attendance @ away SEC venues. Just my thoughts.//hs
bigblackag12
AG
Why would we send A&M-Galveston band to an A&M-College Station away game
WN AG
Personal Best
AG
quote:
Why would we send A&M-Galveston band to an A&M-College Station away game

Because band kid logic
Aggie_Nuke
AG
DallasAg-94

Since when did we start putting international social programs in the mix for evaluating the funding of Aggie events and campus expenditures ? Come on man.

Yes, we all have our own interests; however, the FTAB has been the image and sound of TAMU since way before I was born (and that's been a while ago). We're talking the face and spirit of TAMU, which I believe should be shown at all Aggie Football games (home or away doesn't matter).

And with respect to spending priorities on campus, shouldn't it be on a cost-benefit basis ? When the Band goes to a game, especially an SEC game with national TV coverage, I think the benefit of that marketing for TAMU is very significant.

Surely we can come up with a way to readily fund all Band trips, at least for games where we have national TV coverage; and, I think we should be sending them to every game. You're telling me we don't have TAMU marketing talent good enough to get corporate sponsors to help with the cost of Band travel, as well as coming up with other means of funding for the FTAB ?

BTW, my brother-in-law (who's now passed on) was a TSIP, and he still loved watching the Aggie Band !
The impression of the FTAB on others is significant and positive for TAMU.

Gig 'em !
Mike Williams

Class of '73 (back when the FTAB was all we had to get excited about during football games !)
rhay
Somebody mentioned the Virginia Tech model and described it as having "A Corp Band and a Real Band"

The Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets started fading when they made that compromise.

And if you ask any VaTech folks, they will tell you it is a grease fire.

So no thank you to that model...
Atl_Ag
AG
Hate to reopen old wounds, but as an old Ag stuck in Georgia the last 15 years, I attend a lot more road games than home games. Three so far this year, three including the bowl last season, and three in our inaugural SEC season. I've seen the band and been able to sing the War Hymn and Spirit exactly once, at the bowl game. And it's hard for the few thousand Ags who are at the other road games to even be heard over the other schools band. And I'm sorry, Dallas is not a road trip in front of a hostile crowd.

I REALLY do not understand the objection to sending smaller, less expensive version of the band to at least support the team and help the fans that traveled to try to make some noise.

I'm glad the band will be at Auburn this year. I'll be there too. I just wish some of them could have been at SC, MSU or Bama with me also.

GA Aggie
quote:
Hate to reopen old wounds, but as an old Ag stuck in Georgia the last 15 years, I attend a lot more road games than home games. Three so far this year, three including the bowl last season, and three in our inaugural SEC season. I've seen the band and been able to sing the War Hymn and Spirit exactly once, at the bowl game. And it's hard for the few thousand Ags who are at the other road games to even be heard over the other schools band. And I'm sorry, Dallas is not a road trip in front of a hostile crowd.

I REALLY do not understand the objection to sending smaller, less expensive version of the band to at least support the team and help the fans that traveled to try to make some noise.

I'm glad the band will be at Auburn this year. I'll be there too. I just wish some of them could have been at SC, MSU or Bama with me also.

Stuck in Georgia as well and Agree.
SeattleAgJr
Because the band picks up more yardage during half-time that the team does the entire game, it is disrespectful to our football team...
AG
Staff, can we PLEASE get a band board?

I'm sure there will be 5's of posts every week.
rhay
I have to admit that a seniors only travel band that plays in the stands makes sense to me.

It would be < 100 cadets and all boots. It is a reward for seniors and cheaper to travel.

And the Corps has a presence beyond the Yell Leaders.

Keepers of the Spirit. If you do not do it someone will propose a non reg alternative to fill the need. Ain't nobody that wants that.

I see Dr. Rhea has a stated policy of all or nothing but I respectfully disagree with that policy.
Richard Hay '93
Staff Engineer: Core Network Validation
Google Fiber
rhay@google.com
mpaggie06
AG
The ****?
Capt. America
AG
I tend to agree. That being said, I'm gonna take a new army stance here and say that we should at least have some kind of presence at all away games in football. EVERY other team in the SEC sends at least a small portion to Kyle, yet we can't do the same? As much as I wouldn't want it to come to this, if the FTAB continues it's stance with all or nothing, send Hullabaloo on the road. I know it would be unpopular to a lot of people, but having a band presence is important on the road. The best atmospheres I have ever experienced as an Aggie were when the band was there. It breeds familiarity in an otherwise foreign environment. They need to do whatever they need to do to make things happen, preferably FTAB sending seniors for long road trips. Otherwise, I think there will be a few pissed off Ags when the alternative happens...
[img]http://i.imgur.com/SGWAsbY.png[/img]
FightingAggie
AG
quote:
The ****?

hey, it's not a Murray thread.
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
The best atmospheres I have ever experienced as an Aggie were when the band was there. It breeds familiarity in an otherwise foreign environment

Bingo
coldmoose
Agree that it is better when the band is at the games.
Atl_Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
The best atmospheres I have ever experienced as an Aggie were when the band was there. It breeds familiarity in an otherwise foreign environment

Which is GREAT, if the band is there. The point many of us are trying to make is if the whole band can't be there, something better than nothing.

To paraphrase the initial quote, some of the loneliest atmospheres I have ever experienced as an Aggie are when there is NO band there to accompany the War Hymn.

With visiting fans spread out all over the stadium the way the SEC treats visitors, its almost impossible to be heard without any band at all.
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Which is GREAT, if the band is there. The point many of us are trying to make is if the whole band can't be there, something better than nothing.

To paraphrase the initial quote, some of the loneliest atmospheres I have ever experienced as an Aggie are when there is NO band there to accompany the War Hymn.

With visiting fans spread out all over the stadium the way the SEC treats visitors, its almost impossible to be heard without any band at all.

I never disagreed with this. I was at the Arkansas and Mizzou away games in 2013 and the FTAB couldn't make either trip and it definitely affected the atmosphere negatively, IMO.

Something is better than nothing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.