Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

***thread about a link to Scotch's Kyle Field redevelopment pictures***

20,605 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by One Tooth Man
ISEN AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
This is going to drive me nuts:

I imagine the space will be filled in but the fact that these do not match up at all makes me scratch my head and say wtf were yall thinking?
07ag
AG
is that first arch deliberately offset by one brick or did someone screw up?

DartmouthAg
Neither. The other side hasn't been set that high up yet.
JakeyBS
AG
Isn't the level gap the difference between existing and new construction? Why all the worries
John Galt Sr
AG
The Zoo- We can Monday morning quarterback more than football!
DifferenceMaker Ag
quote:
I imagine the space will be filled in but the fact that these do not match up at all makes me scratch my head and say wtf were yall thinking?
Do you not see the 6-8' difference in elevation between the Zone stands and the new east side stands?? What are they gonna fill that with? Magic evener out putty?? It's really really ugly, and it's unfixable. Horrible planning as far as I am concerned. Almost rises to the level of being unbelievable.

The gaps in the brick panels can be fixed, but based on the aforementioned grotesque new "feature" in the northeast corner, the question becomes "Will they bother to fix it?"

bigblackag12
AG
I imagine that they will renovate first deck of the zone when they break ground on the alumni side after next season
Scotch
AG
Don't sweat the small stuff that won't even be noticed in a full stadium, guys.

Do worry about beveled T's and full empty chairs.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I'm sure some kind of wall will go in between and you will never notice it when it is full.
GrapevineAg
AG
More bricks going up on NE tower...

http://www.earthcam.net/projects/kylefield/Manhattan_Construction_Kyle_Field_Stadium_schd2.swf

[This message has been edited by GrapevineAg (edited 3/5/2014 4:35p).]
outofstateaggie
AG
quote:

One would think that the 500 million dollars being spent might have included a level lower deck.

Scotch
AG

Fixed. Now everyone can sleep at night.
conspiracy ag
quote:
quote:

One would think that the 500 million dollars being spent might have included a level lower deck.

500 million dollar rennovation means we have more money than sense.
1aggie02
AG
Construction majors feel free to speak up, but I think A&M is getting shafted on the cost of this whole thing. This honestly seems like a 100 million expansion for 4.5x the price. Perhaps the compressed construction timeline has something to do with that but come on. 450 mil for what we are getting is a bit ridiculous.
SA Ag
Peachy pix.
Scotch
AG
It has been cloudy here, but I went by Friday and Saturday to snap some pics, hope progress can be seen on the darker than normal photos.
SA-AG72
AG
quote:
Construction majors feel free to speak up, but I think A&M is getting shafted on the cost of this whole thing. This honestly seems like a 100 million expansion for 4.5x the price. Perhaps the compressed construction timeline has something to do with that but come on. 450 mil for what we are getting is a bit ridiculous.

You think? On what are you basing your comments? The price of 2x4s at Home Depot?
BostonAg74
The best visual transition in a situation like that is a knee wall. Easy fix, but it looks like that's not what they have in mind.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:

$450 million includes the west side which has not even started yet. You have to remember there will be all kinds of facilities upgrades, a new press box, etc when this is all over. There's easily $450 million in this job. You have no idea what a $100 million job looks like.
Scotch
AG
A lot of progress this past week...
Seven Costanza
AG
I know absolutely nothing about construction or the business of construction projects, but from an ignorant viewer's perspective I find it somewhat amazing that Rangers Ballpark was built from scratch for $304 million in today's dollars. Reliant Stadium was built for $462 million in today's dollars.

John Maplethorpe
AG
Renovations cost more than new builds. All these subcontracts were awarded to the lowest qualified bidder. A project this size you can't eyeball it and guess how much it should cost.

You'd be amazed how much soil prep costs.
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
quote:
I know absolutely nothing about construction or the business of construction projects, but from an ignorant viewer's perspective I find it somewhat amazing that Rangers Ballpark was built from scratch for $304 million in today's dollars. Reliant Stadium was built for $462 million in today's dollars.

So Kyle >>>> where the stRangers and "about to pass on Manziel" call home! Sweet!
2006EE
AG
They are going to put up a concrete wall and live with it. It's mainly existing conditions in the Zone and so that the zone seats can see (It helps with site lines.)

It won't be that bad once it's all done.

If you don't like it pony up enough to rebuild the Zone.
bigblackag12
AG
I though they were gonna renovate the first deck of the zone to match
2006EE
AG
I don't think so. It will be extended down to the field though.

Not that all renderings are always right but see the maroon parts. That will be maroon concrete walls.

Will almost disappear when fans are in the stadium.
outofstateaggie
AG
quote:
They are going to put up a concrete wall and live with it. It's mainly existing conditions in the Zone and so that the zone seats can see (It helps with site lines.)

It won't be that bad once it's all done.

If you don't like it pony up enough to rebuild the Zone.

Based on the numbers in the previous posts, it looks like more than enough money was there to do it right...if we started from scratch and did a total rebuild.

We made a poor choice, IMHO. We should have bit the bullet and relocated for a season.

[This message has been edited by Outofstateaggie (edited 3/15/2014 10:00p).]
2006EE
AG
Ehhh. You would have had to rebuild a perfectly good zone. And if it went down we would have had to refund some of the donations from the Richardson's and we are still paying the bonds on it (so then we would have been paying twice).

I'm not so sure it would have been all around cheaper. We wouldn't have gotten a yearly contribution from the hotel fund if we had played away. That would have hurt in the long run.

Starting over isn't always cheaper. Building in a new location would have been cheaper but the demo costs of the zone plus the added costs of building a fourth side, wouldn't have made it cheaper.
2006EE
AG
Plus it took more than 2 years to build Reliant. Time constraints are what cost us so much.

We are going to have more seats than Jerry and he paid more than twice as much. Almost 3 times as much. So it's not always apple to apples looking at the costs to build other buildings.
bigblackag12
AG
In that rendering the maroon walls are on the south side not adjacent to the zone. From pics it looks like the south will blend with the east and west sides. Theyre building it fresh so no reason why it wouldn't. If theyre sprucing up the first deck of the zone to meet the field wouldn't that give them an opportunity to match the grade of the new east side firat deck?
2006EE
AG
I posted a more up to date rendering. First one is way out dated.

[This message has been edited by 2006EE (edited 3/15/2014 10:01p).]
2006EE
AG
Here is a more up to date one. On the intersection in question you can see they don't exactly line up and the zone side is higher. It looks like the same thing might happen on the south side. (Which is weird). But the west side seems to do the same thing.

[This message has been edited by 2006EE (edited 3/15/2014 10:00p).]
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
We made a poor choice, IMHO

Are you ever pleased about anything?

You said Sumlin was the wrong choice, too.
bigblackag12
AG
I see what youre saying now. In those renderings it looks like some of the connections will be sloped, kinda like how it is in the swamp. And then the other connections just look like techtonic shifts
outofstateaggie
AG
quote:
quote:
We made a poor choice, IMHO

Are you ever pleased about anything?

You said Sumlin was the wrong choice, too.

You bet. I'm really not a negative fellow. Am I allowed to disagree?

I hope Sumlin succeeds, but the verdict is still out.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.