Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Hope that the FSU to B12 Happens

6,471 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by NCTX
coastalaggie87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is one of the best thought out threads in a long time. Maybe there is hope during the off season.
leardriver
AG
If the University of Virginia is, indeed, a private institution, that will be big news to the taxpayers in the state of Virginia.

C/B, '67

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
Douglas Adams
OTredux
I think FSU to the Big 12 makes sense though not sure the new leadership is strong enough to move quickly and intelligently to make it happen.

Not a fan of 14-16 team conferences in general, but if 16 becomes the new #, we should simply take the Virginias.

Makes GREAT sense in terms of culture. VT adds great football. VA adds in another easy win and FANTASTIC academic reputation.
BCO07
AG
quote:
1. A&M
2. LSU
3. Arkansas
4. Missouri

This would be awesome. Maybe the most competitive division/pod/grouping in the country. Throw t.u. back in the mix starting 2017 and you have one of the most entertaining schedules in all of football year in and year out.
halfastros81
AG
quote:
Throw t.u. back in the mix starting 2017 and you have one of the most entertaining schedules in all of football year in and year out.

You gotta be kidding. That's the last thing Aggies should want.
NOTanAGGIE112
Aggies, u should have never left the Big 12...

Something not thought about before u guys left and at Texas A&M would probably had been pretty successful...

Texas A&M Network, Big 12 all that money could have came to your school. SEC will prolly share 3rd tier rights with conference when SEC new TV contracts happen. Probably add 2-3 million when this happens vs controlling all that money yourself and no real ceiling. Another big reason FSU is considering the Big 12. And no, I am not a Longhorn fan but a lot of schools are considering there own network *type* in the Big 12. Will it be literally its own network, no, but more blocked hours of programming plus online. Hey, for Texas Tech there talking it could add another $ 5 million a year on top of whatever the new TV contract would be which if FSU gets in will prolly be 20+

[This message has been edited by NOTanAGGIE112 (edited 5/14/2012 9:22a).]
Bucketrunner
^^^^^^^^^

Must be on drugs.
Barnacle
AG
Stopped reading the rookie's post above at "Texas A&M Network..." Would never be much of a money maker for us. I'm so glad to be rid of the dysfunction. Everything else is gravy.

quote:
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

- Jack Handey

[This message has been edited by Barnacle (edited 5/14/2012 9:33a).]
YBS
AG
no likey
NCTX
UNC and UVa would only leave the conference if things were very dire, and I don't think VT or NCSU would/could leave without them. The only way things are very dire is if at least three of FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Miami leave. Only FSU is really an attractive target.

I don't know how many of you have been to South Carolina, but it isn't exactly a densely populated state and the people who are there tend to favor the Gamecocks (despite decades of futility in the three majors until recently). South Carolina basically has three metro areas, all of which are quite small. Columbia and Charleston swing to the Gamecocks, Greenville/Spartanburg swing to the Tigers (pop 636,000). Clemson is very small school for a flagship land grant institution, although it is a very solid engineering school.

Georgia Tech might be in one of the largest metro areas in the country, but Atlanta is a Bulldog city. Georgia Tech should have pretty much no appeal to the SEC. I could see the Big 12 showing interest, but I can't imagine that it would be a particularly viable addition.

The Miami of today is not the Miami of the '80s and '90s. They have been thoroughly mediocre for an extended time which has cost them most of their bandwagon fans. Their alumni fan base is also in danger with the games now taking place a full 30 minutes away from campus (they lost the game of chicken wrt the Orange Bowl) resulting in very poor student attendance (could have devastating long term effects if they don't find a way to build an on campus/near campus stadium soon). I don't think Miami the city really supports them either. This is not an attractive target for any conference until they get their act together. Even so, I am not sure they want to leave the ACC as they look to boost their academic profile.

Florida State is like Clemson in a lot of ways (ie: definitely second fiddle), but they have better overall athletic program and, mainly, they are in a much more densely populated state with a much larger alumni base. It is worth noting that, to my understanding, they did indeed have an SEC bid in 1990-1991 and specifically chose the ACC over it. At the time the ACC/SEC gap wasn't as significant, and the financial stakes weren't as high. To me, a move to the SEC would make sense for the FSU, but a move to the Big 12 would not. Right now the revenue gap is $3mm + whatever FSU could get for third tier football and basketball games. Figure $5-6mm total I'd guess, but you have to knock that down when you consider the significantly higher travel expenses (not to mention the negative impact on student athletes associate with high travel) and don't forget the ACC has a $20mm buyout. The ACC's deal is also reportedly renegotiable in 5 years, so if FSU, Clemson, and Miami can get their act together and be nationally relevant, and everyone else can get better then the gap should shrink further (the Big 12 was pretty much at a peak last year, with OSU, Oklahoma, Baylor, WVU, and TCU all coming off great seasons, while the ACC was, hopefully, close to rock bottom).

My two cents.

(Disclaimer, I root for Wake Forest and Texas A&M, in that order (and, yes, those two institutions are about as different as possible)).
nereus
AG
quote:
Texas A&M Network, Big 12 all that money could have came to your school. SEC will prolly share 3rd tier rights with conference when SEC new TV contracts happen. Probably add 2-3 million when this happens vs controlling all that money yourself and no real ceiling. Another big reason FSU is considering the Big 12. And no, I am not a Longhorn fan but a lot of schools are considering there own network *type* in the Big 12. Will it be literally its own network, no, but more blocked hours of programming plus online. Hey, for Texas Tech there talking it could add another $ 5 million a year on top of whatever the new TV contract would be which if FSU gets in will prolly be 20+

A lot of schools are considering it because tu left them with no other choice. They can't have a conference network without a key conference member. The SEC has the chance to look at the numbers and decide if they want to do a big national network like the B1G, regional networks like the pac12, something else, or let all schools do what they want. The SEC is in a great position to do what is best. The big xii only has 1 option at this point so of course a bunch of big xii schools are considering it.
Ag of Northern Virginia
UVA only "helped" VT join the ACC because it didn't want the Hokies to join the SEC. UVA wanted nothing more than to leave VT to rot in the Big East. VT owes UVA nothing but continuous beatdowns on the football field. Now bend over again for Daddy Virginia Tech.
Ag of Northern Virginia
And comparing UVA to an SEC schools is ridiculous. UVA is more like Rutgers - mostly filled with NJ/NY kids who only go there because they got rejected everywhere else and pretend it's the best place ever while they can't even name the starting QB. UVA fans hate Tech more than they like themselves.

[This message has been edited by Ag of Northern Virginia (edited 5/14/2012 11:26a).]
rausr
AG
And of course FSU is talking nice and playing nice at the ACC meetings this week.
Ag of Northern Virginia
btw here's the link mybuster of how VT joined the ACC

http://mobile.texags.com/Forums/5/Topics/1890798
Kentucky Mustangs
Ag of Northern Virginia,

Both your points are fairly on target. I will say that UVA has a collection of rich southern daddies as well. Duke is the one that is mostly NY and NJ.
DALLASPACK
As a NC State fan, I can tell you that there is a lot of fans that would welcome a move to the SEC. Whether the BOG would allow it is another story. We have the same type of relationship with UNC as you had with UT and a lot of people would like to move to the SEC to get away from the bias towards UNC. UNC and Duke are anchors to the ACC and since the current commish is a UNC grad, I dont see them moving conferences. Since they also place a high priority on academics, The Big 10 is always thought to be the place they would move if they ever changed conferences.

While NC State is traditionally known as a basketball school, we have sold out FB season tickets for the past 9 years (approx 60k seats). While our stadium seating is much lower than A&M and other SEC schools, the expectation is that moving to the SEC would greatly increase demand for tickets to support additional seats.
Razzrax
AG
Solid info rolling in.
Kentucky Mustangs
quote:

DALLASPACK

While NC State is traditionally known as a basketball school, we have sold out FB season tickets for the past 9 years (approx 60k seats). While our stadium seating is much lower than A&M and other SEC schools, the expectation is that moving to the SEC would greatly increase demand for tickets to support additional seats.

For those that may not know, it was NCST that brought basketball to tobacco road, and they had 2 banners in the rafters when Duke was still an infant. I strongly feel once coach K has left the Duke building, the Wolfpack will return to their rightful place in ACC basketball.

On the football front I think NCST and UT playing is a good way to crossover the ACC - SEC bridge and get fans to attend both games. If Clemson departs the SEC I think several ACC - SEC matchups will fill the scheduling void.
dmart90
AG
Per our boy Ubbs:
quote:
Is Florida State ready for the Big 12? There's no doubt the Big 12 is tougher than the ACC. Only the SEC is a better league than the Big 12, and excluding the excellence at the top, a case could be made for the Big 12 as a better league from top to bottom.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Kentucky Mustangs
Poor Ubbs, having to write for the farm league and hoping to get a call up from the majors.
ckwarren33
Panther, I recall more than a few threads about why A&M was a good SEC cultural fit. If VPI is similar to A&M, why would it not be a good SEC cultural fit?

In other news, good to see David, rUbben out his special sauce.

[This message has been edited by ckwarren33 (edited 5/14/2012 2:10p).]
NCTX
quote:

And comparing UVA to an SEC schools is ridiculous. UVA is more like Rutgers - mostly filled with NJ/NY kids who only go there because they got rejected everywhere else and pretend it's the best place ever while they can't even name the starting QB. UVA fans hate Tech more than they like themselves.

[This message has been edited by Ag of Northern Virginia (edited 5/14/2012 11:26a).]

Yeah, so this post is pretty much proof you don't know what you're talking about. Virginia has a 26% out of state acceptance rate. This is in the ballpark of USC, Notre Dame, Emory, Tufts, etc.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.