Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Poll - Gameday Commercial Filmed On Campus

55,157 Views | 963 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by AGGIE MALONE
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
*scratches head*

... Is there some other Alan I don't know about that does stupid stuff when I'm not looking?

Alan is the BOMC (burnt orange media conspiracy) personified. He hates all things A&M and rules espn with an iron fist (with pointer and pinky extended)
james2929
james2928 posted:

The group I know of (2 guys) got it to 600k and can add 10k in less than a minute. I think they're done for the night at 630k. Take the night to catch up, and its game back on in the morning
---

If you're still around...

Your posts on this matter seemed believable. NCST seemed to go up in very quick spurts and then abruptly stop on what seemed to be a targeted number (such as ~650K, ~700K), just as you described. So any idea what happened? Did your guys sleep in this morning?
--------------

Yea, they checked on the results just after 9am (they were up until after 2am when they stopped at 700k), about 5 minutes before the vote was shut down.

The program they wrote was designed to go in massive spurts, instead of run constantly. But they have already modified it in their spare time today to have both "modes" IF the voting ever opens back up.

NOTE: the 5 post rule in 24 hours sucks, this is my 3rd account here.

[This message has been edited by james2929 (edited 4/24/2012 3:56p).]
GEA89
AG
On Websider there were a bunch of Washington State fans coming in blasting A&M. Many got canned because it just got silly but those Cougars are all worked up!

Is there another school who obsesses about GameDay worse than Washington State? They have people at every location it ever is and sadly, NEVER at their place.

Comical
Jeeper79
AG
quote:
NOTE: the 5 post rule in 24 hours works, this is my 3rd account here.

FIFY
2006EE
AG
James, give the site $5 and you can post all you want.
stark_ag
AG
Assuming ESPN isn't dumb enough to allow anything other than facebook votes when it comes back up, we're gonna own yall. Texags is even better at winning polls fairly.
james2929
You realize that anything that can be done manually can be faked and automated by a computer right? The tool they were using last night didn't even use the email vote, but ran through Facebook's API (or something, they say).

These guys have almost a week to crack at it and they write complex software for a living. Your best bet is to find some comp sci guys, but good luck, and good luck to ESPN as well.
stark_ag
AG
I know that we were voting via email well after ESPN took away that option. They never actually disabled the email vote, just took away the box to enter it on their website. Why those scripts stopped working, I don't know, but I know that none of us here went through facebook to keep it going. Facebook will be harder to find holes in than the site ESPN built. Still possible, but if you can do it, then you deserve to win.
ChrisTAMU
AG
James are these guys even from NC State or did they just choose them as their beneficiary?
Jeeper79
AG
@stark: I'm still reasonably sure that they didn't patch their email hole. They just started banning IP's. We were just too lazy to start broadcasting form a newone.
AGGIE MALONE
The funny thing about Middle Tennessee's votes is that they were a result of a small coding error in FSU's script. FSU's script generated hundreds of thousands of votes, 33% of those votes went to Middle Tennessee, accidentally.

I'd elaborate more but I only have 4 more posts left today, so I have to make them count.
cannonfodder02
2006EE
AG
quote:
@stark: I'm still reasonably sure that they didn't patch their email hole. They just started banning IP's. We were just too lazy to start broadcasting form a newone.

Not true. Moocow tried this several times before getting it to work.
NoleSpear

I buy the facebook angle as opposed to the bogus email address method. I'm privy to the email traffic of our "guys" and they weren't using the email address method either. They theorized that it might be the reason the Aggie scripts broke and you guys stalled around 550K or so. They seemed to believe the underlying poll was altered a few times and the voting scripts had to be adjusted. They figured it may have quit accepting input from email address-oriented scripts at some point.

RPMag
AG
This is great. I'm pretty sure there is a way to circumvent a facebook login requirement. This website seems to show you how.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6803953/how-to-bypass-facebook-php-login-method-if-you-already-have-a-valid-auth-token
Jeeper79
AG
Well whatever the case, Facebook API sounds like work. They can keep their lead. :-P
JohnTheAggie
quote:
The funny thing about Middle Tennessee's votes is that they were a result of a small coding error in FSU's script. FSU's script generated hundreds of thousands of votes, 33% of those votes went to Middle Tennessee, accidentally.

We lost a poll to Bama that way; the power of Texags has never been the same.
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
ESPN might just enhance the security of the site/server, put some extra technicians on it to monitor it for any "funny business," then delete all the votes and start over again.

I like this option. I want us to win, and I want us to win cleanly.
letswinthis
OCCUPY ESPN!!!!!
CDub06
AG
Had a weekend in Raleigh for Aggie soccer. Visited the 3 campuses. The NC State people were by far the coolest. I'm enjoying this friendly competition.
moocow2024
AG
quote:
I want us to win, and I want us to win cleanly.

This. It was hilariously fun to exploit ESPN's obvious flaws so that they would be corrected, but I absolutely want to win cleanly.
FincAg
AG
quote:
Had a weekend in Raleigh for Aggie soccer. Visited the 3 campuses. The NC State people were by far the coolest. I'm enjoying this friendly competition.

Thanks Cdub, it's a neat little city
koeag
An Aggie does not lie, cheat, or steal or tolerate those who do.
Aggie09!
AG
You're right! We elaborate, collaborate and borrow!
ebag02
AG
quote:
We lost a poll to Bama that way; the power of Texags has never been the same.

I seem to remember the script started voting for Obama.
bakersholiday
AG
They are taking a long time fixing it. We must have really missed it up.
stark_ag
AG
It would appear that they're actually trying to count the real votes rather than just start it over. This is gonna take a while.
Raggy09
AG
quote:
You're right! We elaborate, collaborate and borrow!
zmurda
quote:
An Aggie does not lie, cheat, or steal or tolerate those who do.

except when evil empires (i.e. ESPN) are involved...
Jeeper79
AG
In a way, all of the exploiters may have done everyone else a great favor. Hopefully ESPN wills close their holes and the contest will finally be fair for everyone.
AggieTravis12
AG
So what are the odds the website comes back online? If so, are we betting on a 0'd out vote or the counters will just contain legitimate vote?
stark_ag
AG
I feel like if they were just wiping it and starting over, it wouldn't take this long. I'd love to see what's going on inside that office now.

[This message has been edited by stark_ag (edited 4/25/2012 11:47a).]
BCO07
AG
^

Aggies
buzzardb267
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.