Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Is Reliant the loudest stadium in America?

7,217 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by nai06
lb3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
quote:
the Kyle

wut?
lb3
AG
Uma
Loudest I've ever heard a stadium on TV.
aggielax036
AG
Ughhh no.... Many stadiums are louder than reliant... Metrodome, arrowhead, mile high, and the superdome... Just to name a few
Raptor
AG
Guinness World Records, the Denver Broncos, and their fans all teamed up on Sunday, October 1 to break the record for the world's "loudest roar." The crowd of over 76,000 rose to the occasion and rang up a reading of 128.7 decibels, breaking the previous record of 125.4 decibels set at a soccer game in Dublin, Ireland last year.
Paul Durbin
Hey I was right by you in 123
lb3
AG
TommyGun
AG
I don't know but my left ear is still ringing! That place was rocking!!!
lb3
AG
LatinAggie1997
AG
Wasn't the Denver record orchestrated? Didn't they know at a certain time they would attempt to break the record? Reliant was loud for the entire game with spikes at key moments....IMO, an organized effort in Reliant could break the record
Goodest Poster
AG
Metrodome and Arrowhead NOT louder than Reliant. Not a chance. Never been to mile high stadium
floridAG
AG
At the College level, I thought the Swamp had the record. Until or unless Kyle Field is closed in, it's going to be hard to top these records.

At decibel levels greater than 85-95db, there's an increased potential for hearing loss. At levels greater than 125 db, pain is likely.
unmade bed
I remember when I was in school 98 or so, they tried to break the Denver record at Kyle during one game. We got nowhere close. It was a little embarrassing. Open end definitely hurts.
adamhdonnell
AG
Seattle had a 137 db reading during a playoff game. The Metrodome had a 125 reading during the World Series in 91.

and I'm sure these are unofficial readings.

[This message has been edited by adamhdonnell (edited 1/8/2012 12:27a).]
cr0wbar
AG
quote:
Seattle had a 137 db reading during a playoff game

lol
Welcome to the Machine
I was at the game when Guiness came to Kyle and we tried to break the record. We fell far short and only managed around 107 or so I believe.
aggie1069
section 124, 50 yard line seats....this game has Kyle Field beat for sure, definitely much louder than the Nebraska game
lb3
AG
GeronimoAg
AG
I too was at the game at Kyle where we failed to break the world record. Sadly, we all went away knowing that having cheerleaders on the sidelines would have made the difference.
BMX Bandit
Yesterday was as load as any stadium I've ever heard.

My favorite load game story, from wiki

Auburn led the game 6-0 with less than two minutes remaining in the 4th quarter. LSU's quarterback Tommy Hodson drove the team down the field before finally throwing a last chance 4th down touchdown pass to Eddie Fuller.

The game's name resulted from the reaction of the crowd after the final pass. According to legend, it registered as an earthquake by a seismograph located in LSU’s Howe-Russell Geoscience Complex around 1,000 feet (305 m) from the stadium. The seismograph reading was discovered the morning after the game by LSU seismologist, Don Stevenson. Stevenson submitted the reading to the Louisiana Geological Survey to have it preserved. Stevenson displayed a copy of the reading on his office window on the LSU campus that was later observed by an ESPN news crew who were on campus doing a story in 1991. The news crew decided to do a piece on what they dubbed "The Earthquake Game". This news story helped to add more attention to the event.[1]
JJxvi
AG
Denver no longer plays in the same stadium. Also 137 is laughable. 137 would be standing right next to a jet engine type noise. An extra 10 db is double the loudeness, so your saying Seattle at one point was 4 times as loud as this guys reading at Reliant yesterday.

[This message has been edited by JJxvi (edited 1/8/2012 7:44a).]
LegacyAggie
Death valley (LSU) and Nebraska are both said to have hit 134db.
Reno Hightower
Kyle won't break the record because Old Army doesn't yell (I know because I am old army).
Zip 88
I got to be down at field level my zip year for the tu game. I don't know how many decibels were achieved, but tu wasted a lot of time outs and racked up some delay-of-game penalty yardage because they couldn't hear a damn thing.
4L Aggie
AG
Was watching portions of the game on TV, but at one point, they zoomed in on a kid cheering with earplugs in.
DWren
FYI, it was the 2000 Oklahoma game at Kyle where A&M attempted to break the record
bigjag19
AG
When did you take that reading?

I was on the aisle in 121, on the 122 side.
The Lost
quote:
Metrodome and Arrowhead NOT louder than Reliant. Not a chance. Never been to mile high stadium

You've never been to arrowhead when the chiefs were good
TexicanHippy
AG
It was the 2000 OU game and they were taking the reading from the front of The Zone rather than the student section. I remember them talking about it before the game on ESPN, I think on Gameday since it was at Kyle Field that day, but the assumption was that since the record breaking reading at Mile High was taken from and endzone, that must be the best place to take it in Kyle, which isn't true.

It'd be also interesting to see exact times these readings were taken. Kyle Field and Reliant are a constant roar, I'm positive the LSU "earthquake game" was after a touchdown and I'm not not 100% sure but fairly sure that the Mile High stadium reading was immediately after a touchdown, so both were momentary noises rather than constant.

People should really differentiate between momentary noises post-touchdown, and the constant noise in stadiums.

Id be really interested to see how loud they sing "You'll Never Walk Alone" in Anfield, it sounds freakin insane on my TV.
aggivedave16
Former students not yelling doesnt do much for noise at Kyle. The zone is spotty at best.
oldarmy1
AG
There is loud and then sustained loud. A&M once dominated on the sustained loud. Not so much anymore.
lb3
AG
Caliber
AG
Chron.com blog about the OPs picture... Wife made him take the sound meter...

http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/
Al Bula
AG
I'd put the Superdome in the loudest stadium mix also.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.