Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

I have closely followed a&m football for42yrs

10,792 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by sapient254
MROD92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CStew is right. Many programs that we look up to, only had success recently, Smellsu included. We have all the pieces in place, facilities, fans, money, hot bed of recruiting, simply need the right coach to bring it together.
Andrew99
AG
We are a 1st tier program with 2nd tier results

We have the money, alumni, support, facilities, etc... to compete with any of the elite programs in the country. The reality is that we just don't.

edit: I think this post was a victim of daylight savings time. Roll them clocks back

[This message has been edited by Andrew99 (edited 11/6/2011 1:09a).]
aglaes
AG
We might become the Baylor of the SEC.
OrygunAg
AG
The contrast of lsu/bama with the okie debacle today was pretty eye opening. The program is mediocre at best and I think we all know it. Hell the team probably knows it too. I do not see Sherman having the drive, energy and skills to make A&M a bama or lsu killer. That has to be the singular goal now because a national championship passes through the SEC west.
BobCatDave
AG
some of you guys are pathetic and need to turn in your man cards. I rarely come to the Zoo but this thread was sent to me by a sip and they are relishing our misery. Good job. Thanks for giving them this one.

2nd tier program. Right. You are just too stupid to respond to if you believe that. Historically, we are a top 20-25 program in wins and winning percentage. Just a few months ago CFT had an article listing us as one of the top 20 all-time football programs. Top 10, hell no, but top 20, absolutely. So, if you please, consider yourself b1tch slapped about ten times a la The Godfather, and "act like a man!!!!" You are an embarrassment.
Fish-N-Chips
AG
I really think we need a coach like Jim Harbaugh or Les Miles. We need someone who is bat**** crazy, someone who gets the players and the fans fired up. Sherman doesn't do that. He stands on the sidelines with an awkward glazed over look. At least DeRuyter shows some emotion, some fight.
SwampFox
nicaraguag! Great post. Pretty much always agree with that guy!
RockyMountainAg
AG
I graduated 20 years ago and have been a fan of the football team for 35+ years. It used to really upset me watching the games. Now I watch them and minutes after the game I could care less. I have no expectations for victory or championships. I suggest everyone who is not already a fan to watch the mens and womens basketball teams. They are fun to watch and seem to be taking the programs to the next level.
Wisconsin_Ag
The degree of numbness increases exponentially for each decade. Once you hit decade 5, you have lost all feeling and sensation.

Mitchell Hall (1912 - 1972)
MMF and damned proud of it!
jgo
S
I was 16 years old in 1980 when the local DVM in our small town invited me over to watch a college football game. My mother was a single mom with 3 wild arse boys, me being the oldest, she was sick and couldn't work. I was supporting our family on $300 a month, was either at work or school. I could not play athletics because of my obligations, I guess this man felt sorry for me and he actually became my mentor, but at the time I had know ideal what that was.

Anyway, the game was Texas A&M vs Texas. I walked away a change man, I fell in love with Texas A&M just from this mans stories and I have been a loyal follower ever since. I wasn't lucky enough to go to college but I have sent two great kids to A&M.

I have never griped about my lot in life, wouldn't change it if I could. But I often wonder why this man felt a need to take a kid of unfortunate circumstances and make the worse!
that poster
timoteo - Don't get too carried away on the talent. It's part of the maroon glasses effect. We get good kids but just cause they're here don't mean they are that much more talented than any other Big 12 school for example. Those days are well behind us...

I can't point to any of the current squad who would displace starters on any of the current top 10 schools. Just MHO.
Maroon Dawn
AG
The hardest part is knowing that we HAVE all the ingredients to be a national power house but never seem to put it together with the right coaching.

We do less with more than any team out there right now and its incredibly frustrating.

I just want in my life time for A&M to finally stop letting the Big Cigars hire coaches like Fran and Sherm and go after a young, hungry and ambitious coach with something to prove who can finally take all the resources A&M gives him and create the winner we all know we are capable of being.

hardtimes
quote:
And I have come to the conclusion that we should just drop football.

That's a little extreme, don't ya think? After all, Mike Sherman is undefeated against the Southland.
BobCatDave
AG
I find it interesting, disturbing, and disgusting that we, as Ags, think less of our program than many on the outside. Some of you state that others are laughing at us and ridiculing us. I can tell you they are laughing at and ridiculing posts like these. Our attitude of self loathing is more destructive than any bad coaching hire we have ever made. We sit around and bet each other on when our team will implode and then practically celebrate if and when it happens because it supports our own sick prophecy. This attitude is something we need to rid ourselves of like a cancer. It permeates our football program like the stench of sewage. Just for a little perspective, here is what we really are...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/805789-college-football-power-ranking-the-top-50-programs-of-all-time/page/31

and even in the BCS era...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/805789-college-football-power-ranking-the-top-50-programs-of-all-time/page/31

and even from ESipN...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3846173

basically, some of you need to get a grip, grow a pair, and start acting like we belong top tier, because we do!
hardtimes
quote:
We have the money, alumni, support, facilities, etc... to compete with any of the elite programs in the country. The reality is that we just don't.

We don't, but Boise State (2 BCS wins in last 10 years), TCU (defending Rose Bowl champ; 95-29 in last 10 years) and Virginia Tech (4 BCS appearances since 2005) do??
dmart90
AG
quote:

and how many MNC did we win? Top notch for us is not the same as the rest of college football.

I'm not trying to make excuses for our suck, but you do realize that just 1/5th, 30 of 130 Division I programs, have ever won a MNC (according to the polls since 1936)? Since 1980 (just a random year), 21 different schools have won the MNC.

I want to see the Ags win this again just as much as anyone, but like it or not, we are already in a pretty elite group.

We need to find the right coach to take us to the next level. We have the talent base for recruits, we have the facilities, we have the fans... It's just a question of who is going to take us there?
PascalsWager
AG
@ BobCatDave

I don't think anyone is refuting that we are a top 20 program. We beat our chests about being a top 20 program. But I'll argue that a program between 15-25 IS a 2nd tier program. A top program ranked 21 (as that list does) is closer to a program ranked 45 than it is to 5.

Look at the programs ranked around us on that VERY list: UCLA, Ole Miss, Washington, Georgia Tech, Colorado, BYU. Are you impressed?

On all-time wins lists (which we are also top 20 on) we are right around Pitt and Syracuse whose prospects of improving ACC football we laughed at.

Maybe all we need is adjusted expectations.
BobCatDave
AG
man, I am stunned that teams between 15-25 are 2nd tier. Wow...just Wow. I think we need different definitions. I think top ten teams are the "elite". I strongly believe any team top 25 is top tier. Then, maybe you drop to 2nd tier. Maybe my definitions are too lenient. And do not get me wrong, the past decade, and then some, have sucked. We need to be better, deserve as a school and fan base to demand better, but we have to develop a better attitude about how we look at ourselves. You will not go to sip sites, Bama sites, LSU sites, OU sites, etc. and see them talking about their team the way many do here. It sickens me...
hombre
quote:
quote:

We don't, but Boise State (2 BCS wins in last 10 years), TCU (defending Rose Bowl champ; 95-29 in last 10 years) and Virginia Tech (4 BCS appearances since 2005) do??

that was just mean...
sapient254
quote:
Our attitude of self loathing is more destructive than any bad coaching hire we have ever made. We sit around and bet each other on when our team will implode and then practically celebrate if and when it happens because it supports our own sick prophecy.

Hmm, let's look at the numbers to see why so many Aggies turn into these "self-loathing" fans shall we?

Bowl Record: 13-19 (41%)
Past 15 Bowl games: 3-12 (20%)

Record vs. Big 12 Opponents: 200-178 (53%)
Record vs. SEC: 58-79 (43%)
Record vs. Texas: 37-75 (34%)
Record vs. OU: 11-18 (38%)

Some comparisons to a couple big 12 and SEC teams:
National Championships:
Texas A&M - 1
OU - 7
Texas - 4
Alabama - 13 (though some of those are contested I know)
LSU - 3 (and now possibly a 4th this year)

Heisman Winners:
Texas A&M - 1
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/492040-the-10-worst-heisman-trophy-winners-of-all-time/page/9
OU - 5
Auburn - 3
Florida State - 2
Georgia - 2
Texas - 2
Alabama - 1 (a possible 2nd this year)

Shall I continue?

Consistent disappointment causes the fans to "fulfill our own sick profecy." But bash them all you want. The leaders of Texas A&M's football program are the only ones at fault here.
sapient254
that last link didn't work. Here's the article. Go to number 3..

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/492040-the-10-worst-heisman-trophy-winners-of-all-time?search_query=worst%20heisman%20trophy%20winners
BeachbumAg
Moved to Bryan in 1971, uncle told me all the Ags would do is upset me if I invested my heart in them.....heck of a call. He has been right for 40 years.....
BobCatDave
AG
sapien, those are nice stats and comparisons, but they are against those schools I have just said are the "elite". I never said nor contended we were "elite". My contention is that we are far from second tier. Now, if we wish to become elite (and I do), then we have something to strive for and have mutual agreement. I also strongly stand by my second contention that our attitude is as damaging to our mutual goal as the coaching hires. We have to develop an attitude of confidence and that elusive swagger that 1st tier team possess.
sbag
AG
We can come back. The funny thing is that the kids today probably think LSU was always a great program. They actually stunk for most of my 48 years. Things turn around. Jackie Sherrill proved that, in case we forget.
LifeLongAg
S
I've been an Aggie fan since the 50's when my Dad took me to an Aggie/SMU game in Dallas. I suffered through the truly horrible early 60's teams and coaches. I was elated when Gene Stallings woke up the slumbering Aggies even if it was only briefly. I rejoiced over Emory Bellard's efforts after a miserable stretch with Tom Wilson. Jackie Sherrill also gave me some great hope. My kids were in school when R.C. was in his heyday. Francione was a total disaster. I'm not happy with the Sherman era so far. Aggie sports, just as all collegiate sports, has its low points and its high points. Even tu has had its "dry spells".

I've learned not to let a bunch of 18-22 year olds spoil my weekend. If they win, that's great. If they don't, I don't dwell on it.

On, and by the way, is it basketball season yet?
PasoPoke
I hate to see you guys so down.

The thing I think most outsiders don't get is why A&M hires the head coaches they hire for football. I don't think anyone could of guessed Fran would be bad but Mike Sherman, really? He has to be about the most unusual hire I've seen in a long time. Nebraska hired an NFL guy and everyone saw how that worked out.

A&M could of had their pick of young up and coming coaches and you go for an old NFL guy, I have to admit I don't get it.

Even a program like OU when they went through a period of bad coaches went out and hired a young up and comer who had never been a head coach before.

If A&M ever gets the right coach the sky is the limit and it would scare the daylights out of your competitors.

I don't care what it costs, you guys should buy Sherman out and get the guy from Houston or Southern Miss, he's a Texas native and a heck of a coach.
agwithabadge
Great, we are getting consoled by an OSU fan. That speaks volumes of how low we have fallen.
sapient254
quote:
We have to develop an attitude of confidence and that elusive swagger that 1st tier team possess.

Bobcat: I see what you're saying, but confidence and elusive swagger, as a fan, come from performance on the field, not the other way around. It is up to the coaching and leadership to turn a program around and make those players on the field feel they have what it takes to be top tier. Though I don't doubt a fan's affect on athletic performance, I feel that leadership, above all else, is its greatest contributor. Fans can do little but react to what they see, and until they see performance, they will be upset.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.