Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

details of new Big12 TV deal with Fox Sports leaking out ($1.5 billion +)

14,078 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by brotherruss
HOLDEN, M. D.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There has been some talk about them getting a 2nd football game.
Toilets United
Doesn't Texas have to pay the other Big 12-2 schools if they broadcast those games? Can we make them not broadcast games as rightsholders? I'm confused.
TexasAggies57
They won't up it to 2 games. FSN needs all the games it can get.
88jrt06
AG
I'm just glad there's something to counter ESPN. The bias is already showing up all over the place.
DisTex
AG
What if ABC first choice is always Texas ?

Is this possible ?
Bonfire1996
AG
Dis - If ABC's first choice is Texas, it will be on ABC, not on the Longhorn network. For the longhorn network to get it, the game must be skipped by every media partner. Every. Single. One.

That's why I and other are extremely interested in seeing the actual fox contract. Fox holds the success or failure of Bevo TV in its hands, literally. They could choose a texas game in the 2nd tier every single time and put a massive hurt on Bevo TV. So I am very curious as to how they wielded that power.

With the money rumored, Fox must have gotten some sort of cherry on top type deal from ABC. I would venture to guess that for every game that texas gets to choose on its Bevo TV in first tier fashion, that Fox gets to swap its 2nd tier rights for ABC's 1st tier rights somewhere down the line. That's what I would do if I were Fox.

Say I'm Fox....Want to put the Rice game on Bevo TV? Sure. I'll just go ahead and take the Texas-OU game and put it on FSN primetime. What? You don't like that? OK, I'll take two first tier choices in exchange.

Fox is in the catbird seat here and for them to part with the rumored money, they must have gotten some good concessions.

[This message has been edited by Bonfire 1996 (edited 4/6/2011 1:56p).]
HOLDEN, M. D.
I concur.
Human
AG
I never doubted you Holden sir!!!'
Spaceball 1
AG
The Big 12 is a giant stinking turd, money doesn't change anything
HOLDEN, M. D.
You heard it from Holden first folks
The Lost
Minus it's only a billion not 1.5... But what's half a billion dollars right Holden?

Nice chest pumping
AggieTFA06
AG
the only thing that can satisfy me about this deal is if we get $20 million and get all of our football games on tv

To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
BigBrother
AG
quote:
You heard it from Holden first folks

I think it's very brave of you to highlight your own fail post. Takes guts.
cords12
Agreed!!! More important than the money is TV EXPOSURE!!! There is no reason we shouldn't have every conference game televised!! I can understand if SFA is not on tv, but NEVER should a rivalry game like tex tceh not be televised. We finally put an A$$ whipping on them 2 years in a row and we don't even get to see the game!
The Lost
looks like yall will be pleased

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=205135785&DB_OEM_ID=10410

Annual Football Coverage
Minimum 40 games on FOX controlled platforms including FX, FSN and FCS.
Options for three Thursday games, one Labor Day Sunday game, and one Thanksgiving Friday contest per season.
Per separate agreement, an additional 18 games annually on ABC.

Exposure
Every Big 12-controlled football game.
Minimum of 40 non-football events per season, including 25 women’s basketball games.
Championship events, except men’s basketball (ESPN has the rights to Big 12 men’s basketball).
Institutions may replay games on institutional distribution platforms 72 hours after event is televised by FOX.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Thank God, this is the only thing that will save the Little 10!

Every game baby!

[This message has been edited by Maroon Dawn (edited 4/13/2011 3:11p).]
SECTAMU#1
Has Fox paying (the Big 12) $90 million annually for 13 years. The deal is enormous and would work as an adhesive for keeping the Big 12 together.

No more talk about making Texas A&M whole with its $20 million guarantee, even if that meant giving a lower percentage of income to the smaller-budget programs.

With this deal, media-rights money could equal or surpass the income of Big Ten and Southeastern Conference schools because it would be added to the $60 million annually the Big 12 receives from ABC and ESPN for first-tier games.

The Big 12 would prefer to have its contracts for first- and second-tier games aligned, but that’s not the case. The ABC/ESPN deal expires in 2015-16.

The media-rights income doesn’t include revenue from bowl games and the NCAA Tournament. Add it up, and the Big 12 becomes as financially healthy as any conference.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Since the money appears to be there and we're keeping the name, this should mean the league will return to 12 soon.

My guess is BYU but not sure who else. (Boise will NEVER be invited) someone out of Louisiville, UNM, CSU and AFA would be my guess.

[This message has been edited by Maroon Dawn (edited 4/13/2011 3:18p).]
Waffledynamics
AG
This... This is good? I want this right?
wbt5845
AG
This kills what little remaining desire I had to support A&M athletics.

My self imposed ban on giving as much as one red cent to the athletic department as a donation or on a ticket is now permanent.

No more five figure checks for my football season tickets ever again!
AlexNguyen
quote:
Since the money appears to be there and we're keeping the name, this should mean the league will return to 12 soon.

I actually think the league will stand pat at 10. Less shares to divide the money by unless there's an escalator clause that increases $$$ for adding teams. I'm not seeing much of an incentive to add teams unless the Big 12 can get both BYU and ND (yeah, right).

doar823
AG
HIPPA? as an MD I would be more worried with HIPAA violations
HOLDEN, M. D.
quote:

Its spelled HIPPA. I think I would know.
Spaceball 1
AG
HOLDEN, M. D.
quote:
Minus it's only a billion not 1.5... But what's half a billion dollars right Holden?

Nice chest pumping

I like how you round down to 1 billion.

90million x 13 years = ~1.2 billion.

I was pretty close to price AND time frame AND I had this story almost 2 weeks before anyone else.

Bitter Old Man
AG
Yea. Another decade of watching FSN HD that looks like a fuzzy over the air channel, with commentators that think 15 minutes of reading the media guide before a game is enough prep.
jamaggie06
AG
b/c Brent Mussberger and four and half hour broadcasts full of non-stop self promotion from ESPN are better?

[This message has been edited by jamaggie06 (edited 4/13/2011 4:20p).]
The Lost
quote:
Yea. Another decade of watching FSN HD that looks like a fuzzy over the air channel, with commentators that think 15 minutes of reading the media guide before a game is enough prep.

at least they talk about the football game... unlike espn who is talking top 25 polls or how other games went during most of the telecast... they might even throw in an interview with a random person unrelated to the game if you're really lucky
MaysGrad09
Upside: No more Dave South or *****ing about games not being on tv.
HtownAg92
AG
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act = HIPAA

As a J.D., I do know.
the4aces
AG
Does this mean all of our games will be on TV?
Bitter Old Man
AG
quote:

at least they talk about the football game... unlike espn who is talking top 25 polls or how other games went during most of the telecast... they might even throw in an interview with a random person unrelated to the game if you're really lucky

I like the CBS Broadcasts...

Otherwise... DAVE SOUTH or GTFO!
Jeff George
quote:
"These 10 universities in the center of America stand together in their commitment," University of Missouri Chancellor and Big 12 Conference Board of Directors Chairman Brady Deaton said, while pantomiming a "Call me" to Jim Delany, seated in the back of the room.

[This message has been edited by Jeff George (edited 4/13/2011 4:47p).]
Spider Rico
quote:
I like how you round down to 1 billion.

90million x 13 years = ~1.2 billion.

I was pretty close to price AND time frame AND I had this story almost 2 weeks before anyone else.

I'm not sure any of these numbers are right. The only media statements I've seen are all based on those SBJ articles which didn't quote any sources. On, the Big 12 site and in what I heard of the press conference, neither Fox or the Big 12 would discuss any specifics. Maybe we won't know the actual amount until after 2013 when the money is finally distributed to the public schools.

But at any rate it would seem to be a bare minimum of $60 million/year which is a lot more than I for one expected (apologies to Beebe/Byrne).

quote:

They are terrible, but most modern TV's are equipped with volume controls. Also it is undoubtedly great news that we can finally say with certainty that the Tech and Baylor games will be televised.

I don't know if anyone else listened to any of that conference, but a couple of strange things stood out to me:

1. Beebe said this deal should make the A&M promises moot. But, then he said something a little vague about how great this deal was and in combination with the added 3rd tier money (I think referring to an imminent Little 8 or 9 network) A&M shouldn't have a problem. Which I guess is good in that it sounds like Fox is also going to pay quite a bit for that network, but wasn't the $20 million part of "conference distributions?" And Beebe again was very clear that the Little 8/9 network would have nothing to do with the Big 12.

2. Beebe isn't certain how the revenue will be distributed because this is a different deal than the previous Fox one.

I imagine it was very clear cut before, X$ for ABC, Y$for Fox Sports, Z$ for FCS and the higher choice team obviously got more money (1/2 the game value), because they were different contracts with different average per game rates. Now Fox can choose to put a game on any of their three tiers, FX, Fox Sports, or FSC but I think there is no difference in the annual payment based on channel assignment.

So is Beebe planning on instituting his own money value system for the different Fox tiers to better maintain the old unequal system? When asked how it would be distributed, he said they were still working on that decision.

The obvious choice would be to just ditch the unequal split for the Fox contract, since everyone not on ABC will be on Fox somewhere and every school can collect a fixed 10% of $130/$90/$60 million per year. But this is the Big 12, a conference that still exists based on a core principle of every school for itself.

3. A little strange at the end that both the Fox rep and Beebe seemed to forget some pretty important details (well maybe not so strange for Beebe, but odd for a network exec).

Someone asked how the single games with rights given to the individual school (Longhorn Network) would be chosen. And Beebe immediately said Fox had that choice. But then I think the Fox guy backed off of that and said he wasn't sure what the contract said, and neither could recall if that game could possibly be a conference game - neither does the Big 12 site.

And the Big 12 site release said the Fox/ESPN sublicense agreement was unchanged. But when asked if ESPN would still be sublicensing games both Beebe and the Fox rep said they weren't certain what the contract said about the sublicensing.

[This message has been edited by Spider Rico (edited 4/13/2011 5:22p).]
HOLDEN, M. D.
quote:
quote:quote:

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act = HIPAA

As a J.D., I do know.

M.D.>J.D.
HOLDEN M.D.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>J.D.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.