Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Voice of Kyle Field--C.K. Esten

43,305 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aggiejim70
annie88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggies! (no A&M Aggies)
Jim Benson 63
AG
From the fifties

"And in the Aggie backfield, Osboouurrrnnne, Crow, Tayylllore and PAHHDDEE." [and that was quite a backfield]

I was fortunate enough to have him for Shakespearean Literature in 63 or 64.
Jim Benson 63
AG
Another thing about the Shakespearean Literature class--

One day he was calling the roll, got to me and said "Benson." I was a little late answering and he said
"frig Benson." He actually said "frig," not the other word. I went up to him after class just to make sure he knew I was there and he kind of smiled and said "I know."

I believe I made a B.
Caesar4
AG
TTT because I was just discussing CK Esten with a friend.
F4GIB71
annie88 said:

Fightin' Texas Aggies! (no A&M Aggies)
Amen!
34blast
Must bring back memories for you because he is terrible. Terrible voice description, not good at all
steve73
AG
" He'd turn off him mic and say "Yell, you bah-stads, yell," then turn the mic on and keep going", but one time he forgot to turn his mic OFF and the crowd heard the unfiltered comments.

The world didn't stop...Mr. Esten was truly one of a kind!
wtr1975
AG
"Good afternoon football fans - Welcome to Kyle Field - Home of the Fighting Texas Aggies!!!"

and .....

"Simoninniiiiiiiiiiiiii on the tackle!!"
SinKiller
34blast said:

Must bring back memories for you because he is terrible. Terrible voice description, not good at all
Not good, awesome. I guess you had to be there...
AgDotCom
I've already commented several times on this thread, glad to see it bumped. I wish everyone could have heard him at Kyle, that's the only way to grasp what has been said about him. His wife lived to be 102.

TAMU74
AG
Great memories of his PA at Kyle Field.
"ELLLLL-men-dorf on the stop."
Wish I had taken one of his classes.
aggiejim70
AG
bebopag1 said:

Had C.K. Estes for Shakespearean literature in late 50's.
Always anticipated going to class since it was a matter of "what's gonna happen next ?"
Will never forget first day of class.
As C.K. called roll he would pause after every student's name was called. He would then ask the student his hometown.
At the end of roll call he put the roster on his desk, then at random he would look directly at the student, call out the student's name...and his hometown.
With 25 students or so in that class we all were quite impressed. (Overwhelmed is an understatement.)

What a brilliant man !

Ledgendary 1950's story making the rounds about C.K. was...during summer school classes (when girls were allowed to attend), C.K. would occasionally cut loose with fairly salty language.
Girls got together and agreed to all walk out on C.K.'s next outburst.
Some male student overheard their plan and tipped off impending event to C.K..
Next day's class topic, C.K. announces there's a who*es convention about to convene in Houston. Girls get up to leave. C.K. stands in the doorway and says, "Wait Stop, the convention dosen't start 'til Saturday."
Everyone had a great laugh, girls and all.
C.K. apologized mildy then went on...as nothing had happened.

[This message has been edited by bebopag1 (edited 8/4/2014 9:10a).]
Funny thing is......I heard that same story about Screaming Al Nelson.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
aggiejim70
AG
Cornerback31 said:

C.K. Esten and Kern Tips were the two best announcers ever.
Kern Tips on the goal line stand in the '56 TCU hurricane game. "Swink hit the goal line with all he had, but the referee failed to raise his arms in the customary gesture."
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
BrownDeerAggie
AG
Looking at the headstone picture, is Mrs. Esten still alive? She would be 108 if she is still with us. I had Mrs. Esten as one my teachers at South Knoll Elementary in College Station in the early 1970's.

EDIT--Never mind. I found online an obituary that she passed in 2015. Headstone picture is old.
AgDotCom
JACK DUKE said:

Roger Feldman was a nudist.
First I've ever heard of this. I wasn't a close friend of his, but we knew each other and spoke whenever we'd run into each other around town. I don't care either way if he was or wasn't, but he certainly wouldn't be one of the first people I'd think of if this topic came up.
SA-AG72
AG
aggiejim70 said:

bebopag1 said:

Had C.K. Estes for Shakespearean literature in late 50's.
Always anticipated going to class since it was a matter of "what's gonna happen next ?"
Will never forget first day of class.
As C.K. called roll he would pause after every student's name was called. He would then ask the student his hometown.
At the end of roll call he put the roster on his desk, then at random he would look directly at the student, call out the student's name...and his hometown.
With 25 students or so in that class we all were quite impressed. (Overwhelmed is an understatement.)

What a brilliant man !

Ledgendary 1950's story making the rounds about C.K. was...during summer school classes (when girls were allowed to attend), C.K. would occasionally cut loose with fairly salty language.
Girls got together and agreed to all walk out on C.K.'s next outburst.
Some male student overheard their plan and tipped off impending event to C.K..
Next day's class topic, C.K. announces there's a who*es convention about to convene in Houston. Girls get up to leave. C.K. stands in the doorway and says, "Wait Stop, the convention dosen't start 'til Saturday."
Everyone had a great laugh, girls and all.
C.K. apologized mildy then went on...as nothing had happened.

[This message has been edited by bebopag1 (edited 8/4/2014 9:10a).]
Funny thing is......I heard that same story about Screaming Al Nelson.

And "judge" Arthur Stewart.
TAMU74
AG
I always looked forward to Judge Stewart's class.
fasthorse05
AgDotCom said:

I've already commented several times on this thread, glad to see it bumped. I wish everyone could have heard him at Kyle, that's the only way to grasp what has been said about him. His wife lived to be 102.

He was all I knew growing up. I was 8 years old when I went to my first game at Kyle in 1970, so I was pretty indoctrinated and never knew anything else. When he was gone, I realized what I gem he really was. My dad loved him, and so do I.
aggiejim70
AG
I sure hope that was the Wichita State game, we stunk up the joint in the rest of them.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
fasthorse05
aggiejim70 said:

I sure hope that was the Wichita State game, we stunk up the joint in the rest of them.
You know, I think it was. To my knowledge, WS had some, or all of their team killed in a plane crash. The reason I remember that was my mom kept going on with many "bless their hearts" during the game. Plus I vaguely remember the story.

And yes, I remember being fairly "under-motivated" by my expectations for the rest of the year. However, I didn't care, I was hooked for life on A&M.
aggiejim70
AG
Actually the plane crash was after our game with the Shockers.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.