The JFK Assassination

23,841 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by BQ78
RGV AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

There is little doubt that Ike was the best guy for the job of overall commander of the war in Europe. But I never found a reference to him having been in combat, or even close to it. If you know different, let me know. Truman was an artillery officer in WWI, I believe. Nixon a supply guy in the Navy in the South Pacific in WWII.

Johnson bummed a ride on a bomber in the South Pacific, that turned back due to engine trouble. He parlayed that into a Silver Star. I suspect MacArthur figured a fake medal would buy a lot of Congressional support.
All correct. Ike might not have shot from the front lines, but he was readily aware of the casualties and their impact, and those that served under him acknowledged this. He also took command extremely seriously and did a great job in Europe. One of the books I most enjoyed reading was the bio of Omar Bradley, and his criticisms and praises of Eisenhower really were enlightening.

Even if Eisenhower never served a day in combat there is no doubt in my mind that he would have if called. Johnson on the other hand?

terata
AG
<Greer & Kellerman>

They were great crime scene destroyers...I wonder if they became "sweepers" a bit later.
Guitarsoup
AG
terata said:

<Greer & Kellerman>

They were great crime scene destroyers...I wonder if they became "sweepers" a bit later.
Maybe Greer shot JFK from the driver's seat.
Rex Racer
AG
Fonzie Scheme said:

I've read Posner's book and Bugliosi's "Reclaiming History". For the latter, don't just get "Parkland". RH is Parkland plus Bugliosi's examining many of the prevailing theories.

The conspiracy industry (and it is definitely that) is a self-perpetuating machine. So much junk has been written about the JFK assassination that they start quoting each other, so it just goes on. I'm sure some believe the nonsense they spew but most are in it for the buck. And it all started with Mark Lane, who's nothing more than a bald-faced liar.
I have been working on "Reclaiming History" for years. It's tough for me to get through. But it is incredibly detailed and thorough.
terata
AG
No. But he did scrape up bio material after the hit.
Guitarsoup
AG
terata said:

No. But he did scrape up bio material after the hit.
Parts of JFK landed on the windshield, in the front seat, and on Kellerman and Greer.

Also, the average person right now knows more about crime scene procedure than those guys would know in 1963. Things like DNA profiling didn't even begin to happen until two decades after JFK was killed.
TXAG 05
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

sw@n said:

With a grain of salt....

It could have easily gone another way entirely had germany not been forced to pay reperations to france.
There's little doubt that WWI echos today, everything from WWII to the division of the Middle East by European desires, not Arab tribes.

I agree that WWI was inevitable, but it's interesting to think what could have happened had It been another event that set it off. What if the Central powers had won? Does Hitler still come to power? Or would a similar type rise in France or the UK and start WW2? We wouldn't be a superpower, and with Einstein, Von Braun, etc staying in Europe there wouldn't be a US flag on the moon and we wouldn't have the Bomb. But without WW2, would an atomic bomb be developed in the first place. The world would be so incredibly different had WW1 not played out the way it did.
Mort Rainey
Cstrickland05 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

sw@n said:

With a grain of salt....

It could have easily gone another way entirely had germany not been forced to pay reperations to france.
There's little doubt that WWI echos today, everything from WWII to the division of the Middle East by European desires, not Arab tribes.

I agree that WWI was inevitable, but it's interesting to think what could have happened had It been another event that set it off. What if the Central powers had won? Does Hitler still come to power? Or would a similar type rise in France or the UK and start WW2? We wouldn't be a superpower, and with Einstein, Von Braun, etc staying in Europe there wouldn't be a US flag on the moon and we wouldn't have the Bomb. But without WW2, would an atomic bomb be developed in the first place. The world would be so incredibly different had WW1 not played out the way it did.
I've been listening to Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon podcasts and he brings up a similar point. Would the world have been better off if German had just won the whole thing quickly in September of 1914?
terata
AG
I agree with your statements. Nevertheless, they would have known about crime scene evidence preservation in 1963, if only in rudimentary terms. Then again, maybe other motivations took precedence.
Guitarsoup
AG
terata said:

I agree with your statements. Nevertheless, they would have known about crime scene evidence preservation in 1963, if only in rudimentary terms. Then again, maybe other motivations took precedence.

Sounds good and all, but then again...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSeTzV0d-ucaH6m96-HaNoEl_e7cSaVtACaXrFGi2Ns8g_g3k-j

We know that just isn't true.
DE4D
AG
This is the modified plot for mark whalberg film "Shooter" ? Lmao
Belton Ag
AG
Mabel Choate said:

Cstrickland05 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

sw@n said:

With a grain of salt....

I've been listening to Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon podcasts and he brings up a similar point. Would the world have been better off if German had just won the whole thing quickly in September of 1914?
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
I believe LHO acted alone. He had a rough childhood, became a pathetic wife beater, wasn't intimate or sophisticated psychologically, and had delusions of grandeur. It was a terrible alignment of the stars that gave him the opportunity. He loved guns and qualified as a sharpshooter (hitting a 10" target from 200 yards 8 out of 10 times). The shot with a scope wasn't that hard and the target angle worked in his favor. I think people just don't want to accept that such a thing could happen but LHO had an almost ideal perch and privacy to do his deed. Only 1 of his 3 shots hit in a fatal manner but one is all it took with a powerful rifle and that tragic head shot.
Interesting that his own mother didn't know his second daughter had been born (~9 weeks old) until after the assassination. He was super cold in his murder of the police officer too. Dyslexic most likely, his spelling was absolutely atrocious. Coincidental that his daughter was born at Parkland and he, JFK, and Ruby died there. I plied my trade at Parkland for 7 months always entering from the back door near the Ambulances Only sign and so my shift always began with thoughts of the assassination.
annie88
AG
I'm currently reading a book related to the JFK assassination with some emphasis being on Jack Ruby. It's about Dorothy Kilgallen, a media person back from the late 30s to her suspicions death in 1965. She was on radio and tv show, What's My Line as well as a court reporter. Had a syndicated column, pretty big deal. Knew JFK.

She was gathering a lot of evidence on the assassination even had an interview with Ruby. She was found very unexpectedly dead one day and although suicide or accidental OD was possible, it was very improbable, they lay out why in the book. Also this huge binder of information she had had for years disappeared and was never seen again.

Here's the website to a lot of the backstory information. I'm about 20 chapters in and it's been very fascinating. Even her career itself was very fascinating.The inferences that she was killed because she was getting close to the truth about it. Of course we'll never know.

https://www.thereporterwhoknewtoomuch.com/

Guitarsoup
AG
Her body had about double the legal driving level of alcohol and a pretty good quantity of barbiturates. Accidental overdose is far more likely than anything else considering she was in the apartment with both her husband and her 11yo son.
annie88
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Her body had about double the legal driving level of alcohol and a pretty good quantity of barbiturates. Accidental overdose is far more likely than anything else considering she was in the apartment with both her husband and her 11yo son.
Not necessarily. There were prescriptions for one drug, not the other, nor was she ever know to take it. now she could've gotten them other ways, but it was suspicious. Also, the ME off the record stated he thought it was murder. There are a lot of other things coming out in the book, so the face value part isn't really.
RGV AG
AG
All you have to remember about things back then is that the guy that was shot several times with his own gun, in very odd circumstances, was ruled to have killed himself. Can't remember the exact name, on the tip of my tongue, but he was the man giving LBJ's Ag racket a hard time, he even turned down a big bribe. Billie Sol Estes is thought to have carried out his suicide.

And that death stood as a suicide for about 40 years or so. Manipulations and controlling the press were much easier in those times. Pols also had a lot more hidden hammering power.
Clown_World
His name was Henry Marshall I believe. Killed by LBJ's henchman Mac Wallace at his ranch outside of Franklin Texas.

Sol Estes wasn't the hitman to my knowledge...it was typically Mac Wallace and the method was most commonly carbon monoxide poisoning, although he shot Marshall 5 times because he heard someone drive up.
RGV AG
AG
Correct, and it was ruled a suicide. Estes had some kind of involvement, IIRC. Thanks for straightening the story out.
Clown_World
Estes later listed 8 people who he claimed were ordered killed by LBJ. The first was an Austin golf pro in the 50's(who Mac Wallace received a 5 year commuted sentence for killing) and the last was John F Kennedy.

gigemhilo
AG
I was wondering when Mac would show up here.

Mac and I shared my great great grandfather, and he was from my hometown. He was thought to be a part of several hits for LBJ - including Marshall. The theory was that LBJ got him out of the murder of the Austin golf pro, and owned him after that. He also had connections to LBJ's sister.

Coincidently, he also died under strange circumstances (single vehicle car wreck when visiting his daughter).

What links him to JFK, more than anything, was that his fingerprint was believed to be found in the school book depository. So there are some that claim he did it.

There is a cool book about him called "Faustinian Bargains" that goes through his life and the known evidence of his involvement with LBJ. It also details a lot of LBJs shenanigans in Texas and Federal politics. Bottom line (according to the book) - LBJ was basically a mobster.
CanyonAg77
AG
56 years ago today
ToddyHill
AG
November 22 has always been a surreal day for me. Today especially so because JFK was assassinated on a Friday.

I was a first grader at Sandy Hook Elementary school (kind of ironic given the events of 12/14/12) on the day JFK was killed. From what I recall, nothing seemed out of the ordinary, until early afternoon, after lunch period. I could tell something was wrong as my first grade teacher (Mrs. Hamilton) had been crying, yet nothing was said to the students. It wasn't until a couple of hours later, when we were lined up to get on the bus, that we heard the news. One of the things I remember about Sandy Hook Elementary...there was a placard as you walked into the cafeteria which said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, Ask what you can do for your country." I suspect it was placed there after his assassination.

It was a terrible weekend. My family loved Kennedy...probably because he was from New England, a Catholic, and a Democrat. I think my Mom cried all weekend. I was too young to realize that presidents served four year terms. I thought Kennedy was going to be our president for my entire life. I don't know why, but LBJ just didn't seem to be someone I thought of as president. That weekend, our black and white TV was on the moment we woke till the moment we went to bed. In a way, the coverage was both cathartic and insufferable.

To this day, I know the exact place where I was sitting on that Sunday when Oswald was murdered on live TV. I wish I could go to that house on Toddy Hill Road where I grew up.

To add to the tragedy, my maternal grandfather died of a heart attack five days after Kennedy's assassination. My paternal grandfather also died of a heart attack a month later. Needless to say, it was a bit too much death for one that young.

Years later, I pondered the irony that I lived in Dallas/Ft. Worth, and was able to visit Dealy Plaza and the Sixth Floor Museum. Back in the 80's, I was obsessed, and read several books on the assassination. I've let it go, but to this day I don't think Oswald acted alone...but I'll leave that to another discussion.
BrazosBendHorn
I had just turned 5 a months before the assassination. Mostly I remember watching the funeral procession on TV. I think it was a while later before I really understood what had happened.
Guitarsoup
AG
gigemhilo said:

I was wondering when Mac would show up here.

Mac and I shared my great great grandfather, and he was from my hometown. He was thought to be a part of several hits for LBJ - including Marshall. The theory was that LBJ got him out of the murder of the Austin golf pro, and owned him after that. He also had connections to LBJ's sister.

Coincidently, he also died under strange circumstances (single vehicle car wreck when visiting his daughter).

What links him to JFK, more than anything, was that his fingerprint was believed to be found in the school book depository. So there are some that claim he did it.

There is a cool book about him called "Faustinian Bargains" that goes through his life and the known evidence of his involvement with LBJ. It also details a lot of LBJs shenanigans in Texas and Federal politics. Bottom line (according to the book) - LBJ was basically a mobster.
That book also destroys the theory that Mac Wallace was involved in any way with the death of JFK.

No fingerprint expert ever found Mac Wallace's fingerprint in the TBD. It was something someone said once that was later repeated without ever fact checking.
cbr
AG
The theory that secrets can't be kept is understandable but just proven false far too often to hold up.

When people have reasons to keep secrets they will. Period.

Money

Threats

Whatever.

It has happened countless times.

It is absurd to think jfk happened just from Oswald the lone nut.
Guitarsoup
AG
In 56 years, we have zero evidence to back up a conspiracy came together to kill JFK.
In 56 years, we have zero evidence pointing to a triggerman other than LHO.
In 56 years, we have zero evidence to show that LHO was involved in a big conspiracy.

It is absurd to believe that anything happened other than LHO, acting alone, killed JFK.
BrazosBendHorn
Here, let me add another log to the fire, courtesy of today's The Daily Beast ...

It was the Mob (or so The Irishman implies)
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Guitarsoup said:

BQ78 said:

That the government in multiple agencies could assassinate a president and get away with it for over 55 years requires a level of competence and expertise that is hard to fathom with our government.
This, exactly this.

1. LHO is a nut that no one wanted. He had previously attempted an assassination of a government official. He is pretty much the last person that anyone (CIA, FBI, Castro, KGB, Mafia) would hire or collaborate with to do this, because he wasn't smart and he wasn't reliable or stable.

2. Keeping a secret of this magnitude with as many people as would be needed to be involved is preposterous for the government. You have guys that were paid ok, but government workers outside of congress and the President aren't getting wealthy. Someone involved in this with evidence of what really happened would receive generational wealth from the book deals, movie deals, etc. To think no one with that knowledge cashed in on that is beyond ridiculous.

3. Keeping it a secret if it was the Mafia is even dumber. We have thousands if not millions of hours of taped surveillance recordings of the mafia from the 60s, 70s and beyond. Guess what no one talked about? The time they pulled the greatest hit of all time off by killing the President. Never a topic of conversation. We had tons of mob guys roll over on other mob guys. Sammy the Bull, Henry Hill, etc. They never talked about knocking off JFK, and certainly knowledge and evidence of that would set them on easy street. We even had an FBI agent infiltrate the Mafia in Donnie Brasco.

4. We also know for a fact that there were soviet/KGB operations of disinformation surrounding the JFK assassination. This disinformation campaign was the basis of Jim Garrison's inquiry into a conspiracy.

5. There is not any evidence that anyone was involved at all other than LHO.

6. Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense!

Perfect reply
As my family and friends will attest to, I've been obsessed with the JFK assassination for the past three months. I just finished reading Posner's "Case Closed."
All of my questions have been answered. At the end of the day, it was really pretty straightforward and sad and sick. It's the story of someone wasting the life of two men by waif who beat his wife and had a crazy mother and a rough childhood (no excuses). A sad pathetic story and conspiracy theories make me nauseous.
bicmitchum
did not a lot of potential witnesses show up dead before they could testify before the Warren commission?
claym711
AG
The highest probability is that it did not happen the way the government said it happened.
Stive
AG
claym711 said:

The highest probability is that it did not happen the way the government said it happened.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Oh, good lord. The JFK case is the perfect example of Occam's Razor: the simplest explanation is likely the best.

To anyone still believing in conspiracy, I posit the following: Most, if not all applicable parties in the conspiracy are now dead. Why would none have come forward as they faced their mortality? Why would none have gone public with their knowledge to justify some sort of financial gain for posterity, not to mention their own posthumous reputation?

Why has their been no new evidence produced in the last 50+ years, except that which is built upon a platform of self-perpetuation based on other empty theories pushed forth by a cadre of fools who have profited from your desire to "know more" and, therefore, buy more of their products.

Finally, if all you have is Oliver Stone, Jim Garrison, and/or Mark Lane, I pity you.

Lane is a shyster, and saw the opportunity to capitalize on a tragedy. To editorialize, he is one of the most despicable people of the 20th century.

Jim Garrison was a homophobic megalomaniac who left the office of Orleans Parish District Attorney a deficit of good will with the people he was elected to serve. Instead of serving them, he went on a Quixotic quest to find a conspiracy that didn't exist, and ruined the life of a man who actually brought New Orleans into the 20th century.

Stone is a paranoid "artist" who takes real stories, injects them with his interpretations, and cranks them out as actual events. Were it not for Platoon, Wall Street, and Born on the Fourth of July, I am not sure if JFK gets made, certainly not to the level it enjoyed in the early 90s. Bottom line: remember it's just one man's interpretation of how things went down. If you agree with him on this, examine the rest of his work. You might disagree on other portions which, by definition, leaves the possibility of disagreeing with him on other things.

Just because it was broadcast, or published on the Internet, doesn't make it true.

expresswrittenconsent
Ah cool a 10000 word rant about the inaccuracies of a movie nobody here considers historically accurate.
CanyonAg77
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

KKAh cool a 10000 word rant about the inaccuracies of a movie nobody here considers historically accurate.
It was about the whole JFK conspiracy industry, but thanks for playing and here are some nice parting gifts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.