Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Planet Fitness College Station

4,387 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by DBSwooper
Max06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who has a membership there? Is it true they'll ask you to leave for doing deadlifts? Squats?

Currently at the Dome but it's gone to hell in a handbasket over the last few months. I've had bad experiences at Gold's & Aerofit, so that only leaves a couple options.
PhiAggie
AG
I see people doing squats and dl all the time at the bryan location in the smith machine. They don't have free barbells.

Also, what's wrong with the dome? That place used to be great. Why are you looking to leave?
Max06
AG
Synopsis of the Dome:

-revolving door of trainers. This shouldn't bother me since I don't use trainers, but many of them have the tendency to take up half the benches with 5+ sets of dumbbells for their 2 clients that they are working with + a couple machines. AND they rarely ever rack their weights when they're done.

-broken equipment- when equipment breaks they seem to throw it out and never replace it. The bumper plates for deadlifts were worn out and they got thrown out. I've requested thee times to get replacements. No dice. It took several months for them to replace foam rollers.

-billing. I updated my credit card. Took them 2 months to charge it, but they apparently didn't enter it into their billing system as now they show me delinquent again. I told the front desk person that the manager needs to call me to discuss payment since I've already filled out the new form/updated info. They have yet to call me.

-showers/locker room tend to be dirtier than usual, and they changed soap/body wash to something that smells exactly like Adam's Flea & Tick dog shampoo.
Swarely
Man, that sucks to hear. I used to love the dome.
Rabid Cougar
AG
My son got asked to leave planet fitness because he was wearing "Open Sleeved" shirt.
Hoosegow
I wasn't allowed in the Planet Fitness in New Braunfels.
DBSwooper
Planet Fitness? You mean Curves for Men?
Max06
AG
That's fine, considering I'm not a man.
DBSwooper
quote:

Then you *might* get away with doing a smith machine based squat type motion (it isn't a squat), but you'll scare all the boys at that place...
Max06
AG
The lack of any bars may nix them off my list. Will have to visit them and see.
mid90
AG
Women who deadlift
Code Monkey
Garage gym ftw.
PhiAggie
AG
Being a fat mountain man ogre that looks like time forgot you and works out at home isn't every persons dream. Some people don't come with an inferiority complex

Also...I've seen lots of people talking selfies there...that's something I know you'll approve of.
shano0603
AG
quote:

I think if we had a picture of you, it would help with the proper recommendations.
Madmarttigan
AG
Is it bad that I expect the rule #1 guy to show up a little sooner when it comes to texags? ^^
aggies_2001
AG
They do have barbells but they only go up to 60lbs.
DBSwooper
quote:
Being a fat mountain man ogre that looks like time forgot you and works out at home isn't every persons dream. Some people don't come with an inferiority complex

("they call it a soup kitchen...")

Also...I've seen lots of people talking selfies there...that's something I know you'll approve of.
You know the workout doesn't count if you don't take a selfie! #paleo #somethingsomethingcrossfit #bro

In all seriousness, the home gym is really awesome if you're ok with having to provide your own amenities and motivation.

[url=//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/][/url]
[url=//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/][/url]
RoseRichAg01
Sheesh. Didn't realize it was that watered down. The new PF here took away a lot of the PF-type folks from my gym. So I guess I should appreciate it.
Skinny Wrinkles
AG
That's sad to hear. Thought the dome was pretty nice around 2011.

When I first starting going to open gym basketball there was maybe a handful of people. By the end if your team of 5 lost, you weren't getting back on the court for two hours.
OA5II
AG
my son was playing summer baseball in Wichita, KS this summer and needed a cheap place to workout. He signed with PF for the $10 a month (poor college kid).

He was told he could no longer use a shaker in the gym for his pre-workout drink because it made people uncomfortable.
Was told to stop his one legged squats because it made others uncomfortable
Was told that he needed to move his squat times to early mornings or late nights because normal clients don't want to see squats.

Kid is onlly 6' 200lbs, so not a big guy.

Max06
AG
quote:
quote:

I think if we had a picture of you, it would help with the proper recommendations.
Negative.
shano0603
AG
Worth a shot... Well, Planet Fitness is alright if you like Dumbbells up to 75 pounds, cardio, and machines... But lifting heavy, making noise, and looking good is frowned upon..... They do have a pizza party though. So there's that.
PhiAggie
AG
Gen board material
PhiAggie
AG
What's on the link you posted? Its asking for me to log in to view it and I don't have an account there.
MexAgs
PF in CS isn't bad. I mean, I am a slight dude(runner only) so I don't know what real lifting is like. I had a membership for a few months to help me rehab from injury and it served its purpose well. I'd renew if I ever wanted to go back to strength training.

There are plenty of well defined people there so they must be doing something right. The ones that at least look like they know what they are doing are there in early am.

I say as long as you're there minding your own and not being a dewsh you should be fine.
PhiAggie
AG
This was my reason for joining. Served it's purpose well.
DBSwooper
quote:
What's on the link you posted? Its asking for me to log in to view it and I don't have an account there.
No idea, I went back to edit that out and it doesn't show on the screen. It could be the TexAgs auto-advertising in post failing. No idea, that post was made while on my iPad, not the Winchester Undead Central Command mainframe, so it could be some sort of goofy Apple error.
Andy07
AG
quote:

Most places barbells only go up to 45 lbs. so that's pretty cool if they have some 60 lbs. barbells.
DBSwooper
quote:
quote:

Most places barbells only go up to 45 lbs. so that's pretty cool if they have some 60 lbs. barbells.
Golds went to 150, which were great for some SL DL work or high rep shrugs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.