Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Stronglifts 5x5. Anyone followed this program?

264,230 Views | 1769 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
YellAgs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Started last week and did workout 3 today.
Never really lifted before and ive been skinny armed/legged my whole life (with a gut). Recently lost 30 lbs on keto only, so will be interesting see strength/weight gains as i add more carbs and protein back into diet while lifting.
Started very low on weights (basically just the bar on everything but deadlifts and barbell). Really trying to be careful on form. Glad i found this thread today!
Jetpilot86
AG
Definitely focus on perfect form while it's easier weights. It becomes critical when the weight gets up there. You will be amazed at your progress.
jdubd34
AG
Bump. anyone still using this program? I like following this a couple years ago and am restarting as of a couple weeks ago.
Ragoo
AG
Not in several years. But 5x5 is a great program especially using the app.
Eliminatus
AG
Funny because I just redownloaded it. I used it and was pleased and then had time to do more structured workouts.

Well, that time is now gone so back to efficient time in the gym. 5x5 was great for that.
Jetpilot86
AG
jdubd34 said:

Bump. anyone still using this program? I like following this a couple years ago and am restarting as of a couple weeks ago.
I need to get back on it also, took me from 0 to strongest I've ever been in 10 weeks. My challenge is getting gyms that can support it in all my travels...
Farmer1906
AG
I've used it several times over the years. Kicked it off again 2ish weeks ago. It's not perfect but it keeps me working and focused.
mrmill3218
AG
I've been doing 5/3/1 the past couple months after doing 5x5 for a long time. I've read (and experienced) that you tend to plateau at a certain point with 5x5. But it does make you a lot stronger.
Sea Speed
AG
Started candito 6 week program not too long ago and I just wrapped up week 3 and I definitely feel stronger and look bigger. Pushed through some squat PRs already as well.

http://www.canditotraininghq.com/free-programs/
Sea Speed
AG
Jetpilot86 said:

jdubd34 said:

I need to get back on it also, took me from 0 to strongest I've ever been in 10 weeks. My challenge is getting gyms that can support it in all my travels...

Same. I'll be on 4 gyms in as many weeks by Thursday
Eliminatus
AG
Sea Speed said:

Jetpilot86 said:

jdubd34 said:

Say what you want, but Planet Fitness is everywhere.

Their premium membership was gold when I was traveling for work.
Sea Speed
AG
Is that the purple gym? Yea you can't deadlift or squat there and iirc they don't even have normal bench and its all Smith machines.

No squats is a hard pass for me.
Iowaggie
AG
jdubd34 said:

I have been doing a version of this since coming out of quarantine.

To me, I still like the structure of the program, although I've modified it a little to get lunges in there.

TitanAGGIE09
AG
I started the MadCow version 2 weeks ago on the app as I was looking for something different. You squat every day.. so far so good but I am Not sure I can sustain that much on the squats, but overall even 2.5 weeks in I can feel that I'm coming out of this plateau I've been in..

Squat, Bench, Upright Rows
Squat, Incline, Deadlift

Over and over.. every other day squat is heavy and then light. I feel like I want to do more shoulder and arm work but I've stuck to just this so far.. that being said it's not exactly non-taxing to do those that often.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Eliminatus said:

Sea Speed said:

Jetpilot86 said:

jdubd34 said:

Check out their equipment. Not all PF sites have free weights beyond a few dumbells.

I would generally avoid gyms like this. They tend to cater toward the person who joins Jan. 1 and is not going by the middle of Feb., though not necessarily those specific months. That person has little to no knowledge of personal fitness and is OK with an unstructured program of whatever machine/weight/cardio equipment is available.
ukbb2003
91AggieLawyer said:

Eliminatus said:

Sea Speed said:

Jetpilot86 said:

jdubd34 said:

Check out their equipment. Not all PF sites have free weights beyond a few dumbells.

I would generally avoid gyms like this. They tend to cater toward the person who joins Jan. 1 and is not going by the middle of Feb., though not necessarily those specific months. That person has little to no knowledge of personal fitness and is OK with an unstructured program of whatever machine/weight/cardio equipment is available.

Have you guys tried Anytime Fitness? For the first 30 days you are restricted to your hometown club, but after that you can use any of the 4700 clubs worldwide. Plus it's 24/7 so you can work out at any time.
Sea Speed
AG
Sea Speed said:

Started candito 6 week program not too long ago and I just wrapped up week 3 and I definitely feel stronger and look bigger. Pushed through some squat PRs already as well.

http://www.canditotraininghq.com/free-programs/

Wanted to reiterate how awesome this program is
Ag12thman
AG
Sea Speed said:

Is that the purple gym? Yea you can't deadlift or squat there and iirc they don't even have normal bench and its all Smith machines.

No squats is a hard pass for me.

Yep, it's the purple gym. I went by recently and the one closest to me has only one leg press machine and three Smith racks. No power or regular squat racks at all. No Olympic bench stations (not even a flat bench one). They only have a few benches and not near enough dumbbells. It's basically a cardio gym and very machine weight focused for resistance training. It was not at all what I was looking for as someone who's always been pretty free weight focused.
Sea Speed
AG
the first time i went in to one they were giving pizza away in the lobby. wtf.
Iowaggie
AG
I've gone to hex bar on deadlift. This is an example of poor form.

https://instagr.am/p/Cbaxi1NgJjh

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.