2012 Honda Civic bad starter?

405 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by agracer
videoag98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Son has a 2012 Civic w/ 140K miles that won't start. Just put in a new battery. All lights and interior dash lights are fine. I hear a noticeable single click under the hood from the starter when turning the key. I can't tap on the starter since I can't see it. It's not accessible from the top and there is a splash shield on the bottom that would need to be removed. Any other things to check? I put a code reader on it, and nothing pops up.
Gottlieb
AG
Pretty much the same year cr-v for my mother. starter had the same symptoms went through the whole process of checking battery and relay....starter was just bad. would catch sometimes after trying to start multiple times. starts right up after replacement. however, terrible access on the cr-v, i can only assume it's bad on this as well. good luck!
videoag98
AG
Thanks, Looking at some YouTube videos, it kind of looks like a PITA to change. I may just buy a starter from Amazon and hire a mobile mechanic to come and swap it out. Probably cheaper than a shop.
agracer
AG
Careful with the starter motor brand. Some of them will cause a fault bc they pull to many amps and you'll end up chasing your tail on some other fail code (I think related to the timing sensor). Strongly recommend OEM.
Lots of good options for OEM online
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.