Question from a non-Jeep guy

1,658 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Silvy
AsburyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had a friend who was a Jeep guy, and he used to joke, "Jeep - just empty every pocket." Then he'd just chuckle and leave it at that. And he's not the only one I've heard say that.

Is that because:
1) They are unreliable and poorly made, so they are in constant need of repair, or
2) Jeep owners are in a constant state of modification and always doing something new to the vehicle, i.e. lift kits, custom wheels and tires etc.

I apologize for my ignorance, but have always wondered.

Thanks.
JB
AG
Mostly 2
drumboy
AG
Daughter has a clean TJ. It needs repair often and has left her stranded (checks notes)

At a gas station
On side of the road
At splashway

I got her a Corolla to drive to my house in the city and her stepdad for some reason won't let her drive her beloved Jeep at all now.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
javajaws
AG
Both
sts7049
AG
paging Street Fighter to answer #2
reproag
AG
AsburyAg said:

I had a friend who was a Jeep guy, and he used to joke, "Jeep - just empty every pocket." Then he'd just chuckle and leave it at that. And he's not the only one I've heard say that.

Is that because:
1) They are unreliable and poorly made, so they are in constant need of repair, or
2) Jeep owners are in a constant state of modification and always doing something new to the vehicle, i.e. lift kits, custom wheels and tires etc.
3) All of the above
I apologize for my ignorance, but have always wondered.

Thanks.
FIFY
Street Fighter
AG
sts7049 said:

paging Street Fighter to answer #2
UIh yeah, I filled a whole shipping container with parts.
dodger02
AG
'08 JK owner. 111k miles

I think I'm the 3rd owner. I forget what the CarFax said when we bought it, but it had been in the shop for a few minor issues that (I think) were covered under warranty.

Since we've owned it, we replaced the gas tank and had it in the shop for a day because a plastic tab broke in the gear shift linkage that left my dad stuck in the feed store parking lot. Also replaced a bad steering stabilizer. That was like $100 and 2-3 beers in the driveway.

Other than that, it has brand new KO2s and wheel spacers that aren't cheap, a giant ass steel front and rear bumper that wasn't cheap, a new modern stereo that was kind of cheap, and new JW Speaker headlights that certainly weren't cheap.

It ain't a money pit. But cost of ownership isn't zero.
Furlock Bones
AG
As a multi-Jeep owner, all of the above.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Options 1 & 2 plus
Option 3 - doing stupid stuff

You could argue either way
  • If you weren't able to get to the remote location and try the dumb thing, you never would have broken the thing that you needed to fix.
  • Because you thought you were able to do the dumb thing, you tried it and then wound up needing to spend more money to fix something.
Obviously whenever you need to fix something, you have to get the aftermarket improved version.
Jetpilot86
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Options 1 & 2 plus
Option 3 - doing stupid stuff

You could argue either way
  • If you weren't able to get to the remote location and try the dumb thing, you never would have broken the thing that you needed to fix.
  • Because you thought you were able to do the dumb thing, you tried it and then wound up needing to spend more money to fix something.
Obviously whenever you need to fix something, you have to get the aftermarket improved version.

Exactly this.
TxLawDawg
AG
I'm a Jeep guy and my dad is a Jeep guy. Growing up my dad would always say "4wd just means you get stuck further away from dry land." Kinda the same thing.
jlAG97
What about the newer Wagoneers, are they holding up so far?
Tim Weaver
Option 3: Stellantis.

Jeeps now get the same pasta-eating, 4-hour-drunk-lunch, hand-wavey attention to detail that Fiats do.
ChipFTAC01
AG
jlAG97 said:

I don't think thr just empty every pocket applies to the suvs like it does Wranglers. I'm on my second grand Cherokee since 2003 and it's been basically fine. Minor ***** But it's just a car to get me from a to b and not do stupid stuff or mod.
Corps_Ag12
AG
jlAG97 said:

Considering one seen multiple posts of Wagoneers off the frame for repairs so I'll pass
will.mcg
AG
This started reference jeep wrangler type of jeeps.

Just get a Suzuki Samauri if you're thinking of this type of vehicle.
Silvy
AG
Tim Weaver said:

Jeeps now get the same pasta-eating, 4-hour-drunk-lunch, hand-wavey attention to detail that Fiats do.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.