Weekend auto adventures

7,456 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by GrapevineAg
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Replaced the plugs and coils on the '17 expedition. Went NGK and Hyundai. Gaps were 0.05 out of spec more or less, so they really needed it. The coils were probably OK but I couldn't remember if I had replaced them ever and if they are factory, 300,000 miles is asking a lot.

I hate those clips on the coils. When they work, they're fine, but if they hang, it is super easy to break them.

Also replaced the plugs on the Nissan, including the infamous #6 plug. I think the distributor actually spazzed out, but seems to be operating normally again now (common issue in VG33 motors), but I decided to replace the plugs first since they were badly overdue. #6 up against the firewall has to be done completely by feel and by using a specific combination of wobble extensions. I think the damn crush washer came off against the block, so now it has a stack of two, possibly. The other plus are in deep wells but easy angles to get to. The only problem is if the washer comes off the plug and sticks to the recession in the block. You have to use a mirror or in my case a pipe scope and a piece of coat hanger with a little hook bent into the end to pluck it loose and fish it out. That seemed to go ok as well. That whole set of old plugs also had oversized gaps and did need replacing.

I may and up having to replace the distributor also if the misfire returns. I had a P0306 which is cyl 6, but it also threw a P0300 pending code which is a random multiple. It could be a sign that the internal bearing or the optical timing sensor on the distributor is failing. The bearing is actually serviceable with care for the price of a small high quality sealed bearing. The optical sensor is pretty much impossible to find as a separate purchaseable part, unfortunately, so if it is that, it needs a new distributor.
HollywoodBQ
AG
You've got 300,000 miles on a 7 year old Expedition? Wow.

My 1999 Expedition was running kind of sluggish about 2-3 years ago. After I replaced the ignition coils and spark plugs, it runs like a bat outta hell now. I'm approaching 250,000 miles.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Washed both my truck and jeep yesterday with the nice weather.

Both look 1000x better!
GrapevineAg
AG
Replaced the front brakes (because I like to live on the edge!) on my son's Subaru Forester. Doing the rears later this week, and getting the windshield replaced today. Then on to fixing an a/c leak.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Weather was nice so washed the 'Hoe and Fusion.

GrapevineAg
AG
GrapevineAg said:

Replaced the front brakes (because I like to live on the edge!) on my son's Subaru Forester. Doing the rears later this week, and getting the windshield replaced today. Then on to fixing an a/c leak.
Windshield replaced, working on the rear brakes - new rotors arrive tomorrow (old ones couldn't be turned). Hoping the a/c leak is just replacing some o-rings. Used a UV light to try and locate any leaks. It's either some o-rings near the high-pressure port, or the evaporator under the dash. No glowing green spots on the compressor, condenser, or hoses. Really hoping it's just the o-rings, a common problem with Subies.
MTTANK
AG
Added a tailgate assist shock and swingcase to my beater F150 today

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Got a rock chip repaired.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
It took me a second to realize that your windshield wasn't smashed in, and it was a reflection of the logo on the fabric roof.

Like, damn. Heck of a "repair"!
Silvy
AG
Uncovered the Model A and fired it up. I want to get it going, but doubt I'll be able to for a while
erudite
Pre 2011 Ranger work... I hate whoever designed this engine bay.
Replaced spark plugs, wires, thermostat and housing, belt tensioner, idler, timing belt, fuel filter, air filter, MAF, IAT. Oil filter and oil change, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, differential drain and replace. Bunch of fuses due to failing alternator + voltage regulator...

Plan to replace the alternator, clutch (stupid Ford slave cylinder), radius arm bushings, engine and transmission mounts, power pump, leaf springs.

MouthBQ98
AG
New upper ball joints on the Xterra now. The old ones are actually '95 pathfinder units on custom upper arms. They are the same fit in the knuckle but the A arm mount is more serviceable.

Checked the hubs while I had the wheels off.

Did some testing and replaced the CDI on my Yamaha outboard also. We'll see if it works. Like all knock off Chinese parts, it's a bargain IF it works.
Aggiemike96
AG
2017 Santa Fe got two new front rotors, new pads all around, oil change, and a new windshield washer pump. Took about 3 hours total for everything and zero YouTube videos watched.
GrapevineAg
AG
Fixed a power steering leak, found the source of my a/c leak- just need to pick up the correct o-ring. Next weekend is replacing the radio with a CarPlay receiver.
PMD03
AG
Replaced the grills on my Z3. Need to repair the handbrake to get it to pass inspection, but that requires removing the center console to get the brake out and is more time than I wanted to spend when the weather was so nice.
GrapevineAg
AG
Fixed an a/c leak and replaced the timing belt (yuk!) on a 2010 Subaru Forester turbo. First time doing a timing belt myself, and while it wasn't super difficult, the proper tools make all the difference.
MTTANK
AG
Installed some new front speakers and did the poly fill mod to my factory subwoofer in the 12 F150. Made a world of difference!

PMD03
AG
I got around to replacing the handbrake on my Z3 which was around 4 hours because of having to remove the center console and radio. Removing and installing 23 year old plastic parts is nerve wracking.
mefoghorn
AG
2018 F-150 XL Supercrew 4x4 now in the shop now getting the 5.0L engine overhauled after 148K miles. Been hard to get Ford to send the correct parts. Happy to have found a great engine repair guy in Hopkins County.

Also, helped a teenager find a first car: 2007 Accord 4-cyl with only 137K miles.
ME92
AG
Replaced the interior panels on daughter's '12 VW Tiguan after finding several water leaks in to the interior.

After the rain, I figured out that I didn't find them all.

Gotta love starting over.
agracer
AG
Replaced Timing Belt and water pump on 2007 Highlander Hybrid with friends help (he's a Lexus mech and having all the right tools sure makes stuff A LOT easier!). Took us 2-hours and 15 of that was going to get the correct radiator hose and more coolant b/c he thought he had enough but did not.
MTTANK
AG
ME92 said:

Replaced the interior panels on daughter's '12 VW Tiguan after finding several water leaks in to the interior.

After the rain, I figured out that I didn't find them all.

Gotta love starting over.
This seems like a VW thing in general.
MTTANK
AG
mefoghorn said:

2018 F-150 XL Supercrew 4x4 now in the shop now getting the 5.0L engine overhauled after 148K miles. Been hard to get Ford to send the correct parts. Happy to have found a great engine repair guy in Hopkins County.

Also, helped a teenager find a first car: 2007 Accord 4-cyl with only 137K miles.
Seems like super low mileage to have be rebuilding. Any story behind it?
MouthBQ98
AG
Spring cleaning. Did some inventory and organization of spare parts bins for each of my autos. Turns out I won't need a new oil filter for a couple of them for a while.
mefoghorn
AG
Somewhat unknown history as I recently bought it, regrettably. It was driven around the oil fields near Odessa and had regular maintenance from Sewell Ford (per Carfax). But seems to have had some abuse of late. Two camshafts had to be replaced and a good bit of silt was found inside.
nortex97
AG
Anyone have one of these?

Yesterday
AG
Oil change, tire rotations and car wash for the 2017 F250 6.7 and 2022 Yukon Denali 6.2.
Jack Cheese
AG
GrapevineAg said:

Fixed an a/c leak and replaced the timing belt (yuk!) on a 2010 Subaru Forester turbo. First time doing a timing belt myself, and while it wasn't super difficult, the proper tools make all the difference.

How did you evacuate the a/c system? Take it somewhere?
GrapevineAg
AG
Jack Cheese said:

GrapevineAg said:

Fortunately/unfortunately, the leak had already allowed the refrigerant to evacuate. Otherwise, I would have taken it somewhere for that. I looked at trying to rent a pump and canister but taking it somewhere seemed to be the best option.
Jack Cheese
AG
GrapevineAg said:

Jack Cheese said:

GrapevineAg said:

Fortunately/unfortunately, the leak had already allowed the refrigerant to evacuate. Otherwise, I would have taken it somewhere for that. I looked at trying to rent a pump and canister but taking it somewhere seemed to be the best option.

Got it. I've always toyed with the idea of fixing my own a/c issues but by the time I take it somewhere to evacuate, then back to charge it, I figure I could just let them fix it.

There are some youtube vids about evacuating it yourself but I'm not that adventurous.
texsn95
AG
Loaded a BPM Sport Stage 1 tune on the 14 M5, so with that, filters, new plugs gapped at 25, and the Comp pack, it's pushing around high 600s flywheel and modified many other driving characteristics, so it was well worth the money.
Trinity Ag
S
Washed and ceramic coated the new A4 Allroad.

I ended up using Crystal Serum Light, primarily because according to the Interweb detailers it is less finicky about flashing off than some other options, so it seemed easy for a 1st timer.

I'll be curious to see how long it lasts....
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Dumped our 2020 Odyssey and picked up a 24 Palisade Calligraphy.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Got the F-150 bed Line-X'd. Swapped the black factory tow hooks for red ones. Between that and color matching the grille, it's a nice subtle upgrade.

Plan to get the windshield replaced on the Expy on Monday.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Parade duty today
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.