Best type of vehicle for Houston - sedan or crossover?

3,918 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by robertcope
Achilles Rhyme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I want to go in for a new car but I still can't decide between a sedan and a crossover. I'm leaning towards crossover at the moment.

Given that I'm in Houston, I can see the following benefits for each type.

Crossover
- High ground clearance
- Very likely AWD
- Helps with the random flooding in Houston

Sedan
- Good gas mileage
- Easy to get around in the city
- Typically cheaper compared to crossovers (obviously make, model, etc. make a big difference)

Has anyone here had to decide between the two in the past? Appreciate all thoughts!
Guitarsoup
AG
I own both in Houston. The height isn't really going to matter in a flood as long as you don't do something stupid.

All depends on your wants and needs.
EMY92
AG
The gas mileage isn't the greatest, but if you mistakenly turn into the wrong neighborhood, you'll know you made the right choice.

Flaith
AG
In Houston? Whatever swangs best

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Depends on where you live and plan on going.

You may like the miniscule ride height increase in a crossover for the potholes for the ITL areas and the increased visibility.

What do you currently drive?
hatchback
AG
Increased ride height means absolutely nothing for potholes if you're rolling with low profile tires.
Achilles Rhyme
I currently drive a Mitsubishi Eclipse and don't feel too safe on highways. Partly has to do with handling when it rains heavily. I have fairly new tires and they don't help either. Also, it's too low to the ground which becomes an annoyance driving around Houston or taking road trips.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Achilles Rhyme said:

I currently drive a Mitsubishi Eclipse and don't feel too safe on highways. Partly has to do with handling when it rains heavily. I have fairly new tires and they don't help either. Also, it's too low to the ground which becomes an annoyance driving around Houston or taking road trips.
Larger tires will give you a better contact patch.

I understand your concern for higher ride height.

A crossover may be a good choice then. Whats your budget?

The other choice is to modify your car to handle the potholes and give you a better ride and high ride height.

Achilles Rhyme
Ideally $25K or less. I've been looking at Subaru Crosstrek lately. Although don't think they go for less than $25K!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Achilles Rhyme said:

Ideally $25K or less. I've been looking at Subaru Crosstrek lately. Although don't think they go for less than $25K!
You can get a nicely equipped Ford Escape for right at 25K.
Texker
AG
2015 CPO Crosstrek for $23,450

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/677061894/overview/
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Texker said:

2015 CPO Crosstrek for $23,450

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/677061894/overview/
Was a loaner car...
robertcope
I disagree that height doesn't matter in floods. I've driven my Expedition through water filled streets that I probably shouldn't have that I am damn sure my S2K wouldn't have made it through.

That said, my main concern in Houston is the general **** state of the roads. Make sure you test drive whatever you look at on realistic roads that you're going to drive regularly. A sporty suspension sounds fun until you're bouncing around going 20mph down the road.

robert
Flaith
AG
ok ok, what part of Houston are we talking?

ITL? Washington Avenue, Allen Pkwy, downtown, Elgin all have some rough road areas.

or do you consider a route from Katy Mills Mall to Cheddars on I-10 "driving in Houston"?
Achilles Rhyme
Mostly driving around galleria, heights, rice village, downtown. I do go on road trips now and then - Austin, Dallas, SA, etc.
sushi94
AG
After driving SUV's and a truck - I don't think i can go back to a sedan. Don't like to be so low to the ground anymore.
dubi
AG
sushi94 said:

After driving SUV's and a truck - I don't think i can go back to a sedan. Don't like to be so low to the ground anymore.
+1
Guitarsoup
AG
When I drive my Miata, the thing I miss most is being able to see around or over other cars. In a Miata, you are basically rolling the dice on whether you can actually pass someone, and not just because the car has no power.

Look at the Hyundai Santa Fe if you want a crossover.
dubi
AG
I have a Sante Fe turbo and it was about $30k driveout with options.

I've owned it 2 years with only oil changes.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
dubi said:

I have a Sante Fe turbo and it was about $30k driveout with options.

I've owned it 2 years with only oil changes.
And a dead battery...but that was your fault...
dubi
AG
You are correct that the dead battery was my fault.

Too many short trips. I use the battery tender over the weekend whenever I have lots of starts and stops during the week.
Guitarsoup
AG
My 07 Veracruz is at 163k miles and has been very much trouble free. Got my first CEL last week. Had to clean off the battery terminal and I was good to go.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
dubi said:

You are correct that the dead battery was my fault.

Too many short trips. I use the battery tender over the weekend whenever I have lots of starts and stops during the week.
I'd recommend it every weekend. Keeps the battery nice and fresh.

2008 FJ Cruiser is still using its original battery because its always on a tender.
dubi
AG
Like Jetch's Gold Bond?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
dubi said:

Like Jetch's Gold Bond?
Thats on a daily...nobody wants batwings...
coolerguy12
AG
I saw this guy in the heights a few weeks ago. Maybe he wants to sell.

permabull
AG
mm98
AG
eight said:

Increased ride height means absolutely nothing for potholes if you're rolling with low profile tires.

This statement should not be overlooked.

More and more crossovers are coming with large diameter wheels and lower profile tires

robertcope
That's one of the reasons I went with an Expedition and not something fancy like an A7. I wanted "truck tires".

robert
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.