Removing purple PVC primer from paint on Tahoe

4,565 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by BOOM15
Bassmaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was doing some plumbing work this weekend and my toolbox was next to my wife's brand new '15 Tahoe. I picked up pvc primer and shook it up. Well the lid wasn't on right and a drop of it flew out and landed on the door of my wife's car. I immediately wiped it off, but you can still see a faint stain. Is there any product out there that will remove this without messing up the paint?
Dill-Ag13
AG
ib4Ecoboostpaintwouldn'tbemessedup
ballchain
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
PVC Primer is NASTY stuff.

Read the MSDS:

Acetone, Cyclohexanone, Tetrahydrofuran, Methyl Ethyl Ketone

The Acetone and Ketones will eat the new water based polyurethane in an instant. And etch the clearcoat and start eating the paint if you don't get to it in time. I'd try to clay and wax it ASAP.
Bassmaster
AG
1ags - could you expand on the "clay?" I'm kind of a moron as evidenced by what I did.
87IE
AG
Head to a parts house or walmart and get a Clay Bar kit. They include the clay bar and a solution to keep it wet.

Follow the directions and rub the clay bar back and forth over the stain to see if it will pull it out.
Bassmaster
AG
Just read about it online. Thanks, I'll try that.
BOOM15
AG
Resurrecting this thread, I got quite a bit of PVC purple primer on my white F150 any ideas on how to remove?
Flaith
AG
87IE said:

Head to a parts house or walmart and get a Clay Bar kit. They include the clay bar and a solution to keep it wet.

Follow the directions and rub the clay bar back and forth over the stain to see if it will pull it out.
did you try these steps?
Appelt_Ag09
AG
We've used clear primer to remove purple primer.
BOOM15
AG
Appelt_Ag09 said:

We've used clear primer to remove purple primer.

Thanks! Got 98% of it with Clear PVC cleaner.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.