Just moved to Kilgore... Tell me what I need to know.

9,149 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by irish pete ag06
Cowboy Curtis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live in Houston, but from Longview. Parents like going to Jack Ryan's for dinner all the time. Pretty good spot!

http://www.jackryans.com/
Reginald Cousins
S
Haven't been. Heard good things. Actual chef on board at JR. A lot of local rednecks ***** about the portions.

I don't think they understand the concept. All the pictures I've seen are of nicely plated meals.
YouBet
AG
The Hot Biscuit still have a location there?
Shelton98
AG
quote:
The Hot Biscuit still have a location there?

Nope. It's called the Kilgore Cafe now.
irish pete ag06
AG
So... Now that I've been here 3 months.

Circle Cafe is great for the plate lunch specials.
Lupe's Tuesday night special is great value for some nice cheap Mexican food ($4.90 enchilada dinner).
The wife and I are both fans of Memi Ds and Downtown Delites for sandwiches and wraps and stuff.
Jack Ryan's is fantastic. I have only been able to do it once, but I can't wait to go back (hope we don't lose it to Tyler).
The Firehouse saloon has some great pub food and good prices. You can't go wrong with any sandwich from there, especially the Reuben.

Downtown is a cool spot, hope that some of the business closings aren't a sign of the downtown area experiencing a downturn.

We had hot air balloons the other day. I missed them but saw many pictures from friends here.

This is a nice little town. We love it so far.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:

Circle Cafe is great for the plate lunch specials. -You missed the days of Big T's, so sad.
Lupe's Tuesday night special is great value for some nice cheap Mexican food ($4.90 enchilada dinner). -Eh, it'll do.
The wife and I are both fans of Memi Ds and Downtown Delites for sandwiches and wraps and stuff. -Yes, and yes. Like them both.
Jack Ryan's is fantastic. I have only been able to do it once, but I can't wait to go back (hope we don't lose it to Tyler). -My sources say they are just opening an additional one in Tyler.
The Firehouse saloon has some great pub food and good prices. You can't go wrong with any sandwich from there, especially the Reuben. -Wings are surprisingly good there. Wednesdays we indulge in dollar drafts on the patio.

Downtown is a cool spot, hope that some of the business closings aren't a sign of the downtown area experiencing a downturn. -It's common, something will replace them, then close... and so on.

We had hot air balloons the other day. I missed them but saw many pictures from friends here.

Glad you like it. If you ever need help with anything, wanna grab a drink or catch a game, or any information, give me a shout.
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
quote:

Circle Cafe is great for the plate lunch specials. -You missed the days of Big T's, so sad.
Lupe's Tuesday night special is great value for some nice cheap Mexican food ($4.90 enchilada dinner). -Eh, it'll do.
The wife and I are both fans of Memi Ds and Downtown Delites for sandwiches and wraps and stuff. -Yes, and yes. Like them both.
Jack Ryan's is fantastic. I have only been able to do it once, but I can't wait to go back (hope we don't lose it to Tyler). -My sources say they are just opening an additional one in Tyler.
The Firehouse saloon has some great pub food and good prices. You can't go wrong with any sandwich from there, especially the Reuben. -Wings are surprisingly good there. Wednesdays we indulge in dollar drafts on the patio.

Downtown is a cool spot, hope that some of the business closings aren't a sign of the downtown area experiencing a downturn. -It's common, something will replace them, then close... and so on.

Glad you like it. If you ever need help with anything, wanna grab a drink or catch a game, or any information, give me a shout.
Sounds great. I still need to hit up the new back porch.
Reginald Cousins
S
Oh wow, yeah you're missing it. Maybe not the food, but for live entertainment and mingling it's easily the best spot in town. The redesign was a great idea and has worked extremely well for them.
67walkon
My Grandad opened the 1st Mercantile Store in 1904. His home site was at 503 East Main.
Unfortunately he didn't own a lot of acreage when the boom hit. But I am still getting royalty checks. He was also the local undertaker. Stayed busy between oil field accidents and murders. Van Cliburn practiced piano on my grandmothers grand piano. Lone Wolf Gonzales rented a room at my Grand Parents home when the Rangers sent him to clean up the lawlessness. My brothers and sisters re-erected a derrick with a star on top in their honor, right across the street from his store, which is now a karate school. Dated most of the Rangeretts while in town. Used to ride my bike to get a 20 pound block of ice to put in my grandmothers "ice" box. Go Bulldogs and Rangers. Sorry about Memory lane. Eat at Jack Ryan's, the Back Porch, Bodacious Or Jalapeo Tree. Gig'em 4 generations
SwissAgg
AG
Lone Star Ice House in Longview, Electric Cowboy in Longview, if you like bars.

Bodacious BBQ is good. My parents go to Jack Ryan's Steakhouse and like it.

Country Tavern is also great BBQ.
irish pete ag06
AG
Don't apologize! That's an awesome post. I need to learn more about the history of this town!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.