West Texas
Sponsored by

Czech fighter jet crashes north of Mertzon.

2,539 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by WestTexasAg04
WestTexasAg04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Happened 5/2. Been working in Odessa since 5/3 and this is the first I'm hearing about it. Any new info?

https://sanangelolive.com/news/crashes/2023-05-03/mysterious-jet-fighter-crashes-near-mertzon-and-no-one-talking
LoneStarBQ
AG
I heard a quick mention on the news when it happened but nothing since.
LoneStarBQ Fightin' Texas Aggie Band Class of 89 Midland, TX
CanyonAg77
AG
To copy what I said on your cross-post

Not that mysterious. Just an old jet trainer. Lots of Ex-Communist Bloc countries are selling their old planes. About the cheapest way one can get into a jet warbird.

Sounds like it had the engine quit, couldn't relight, and it was a forced landing, not a crash.

The quick removal of cameras may have more to do with the pilot doing a CYA, as opposed to anything to do with military or spy stuff
TAMUallen
AG
Was there any other news or rumors about this? Seems pretty crazy that a (former) foreign military plane can drop in and it not have any story
WestTexasAg04
AG
I didn't see any news about it. Somewhere I saw its flight pattern and how close it flew to Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo and was curious that plane was able to do that. I guess if they had made communication with Goodfellow and the local airport about their situation it makes sense?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.