Houston
Sponsored by

SBISD School Board Elections

11,238 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 33 min ago by terradactylexpress
Marvin_Zindler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Place 3 on the SBISD School Board is up this cycle. Candidates are:

• Ronald Hanson: No website that I can locate

Anyone know anything about these candidates? If I recall, Slattery has run and lost before. I also saw Cone was endorsed by Buzbee and John Perez is a fan.

Looking at Drews' website, it's easy to tell that he is a broken-brain lib who should be nowhere near elected office.

Discuss......
P.H. Dexippus
AG
NM
lb sand
AG
I know David Slattery, live down the street from him. He is a long time SB resident and his wife was a long time teacher at Spring Woods HS. All his children went to school in the district. FWIW, he keeps his yard very well maintained. In his day job, he is an architect with his own firm. He is a very intelligent dude.

He is a good man, I know he is concerned for what is best for the kids in the district and taxpayers. He is not some nut job.
Chief_FIDO12
AG
David Slattery ran against Caroline Bennett for the school board last cycle and lost big. Caroline was endorsed by the Harris County Republican Party and has been an excellent school board member. David was not endorsed by the local party... rather, he was endorsed by another fun entity...

David was also endorsed by Randi Weingarten and her union (they fought hard to keep kids and teachers out of school during and after COVID). And, David was endorsed by the Spring Branch Democrats in his last election.

Furthermore, Spring Branch has an incredibly bloated admin staff because of federal dollars that came into the district. Meanwhile, they close down schools and eliminate resources that the kids needs while keeping administrative staff. SBISD is quickly approaching the iceberg and the students will be the victims.

If the main phrase of a candidate is "unity", you can guarantee they'll be a rubber stamp for the administrators and the students and teachers will suffer.

Matt Cone for Position 3 all the way. And, his kids are CURRENTLY in the district, which is vital to understanding the problems they are facing now, rather than the student experience many years ago.
BSD
AG
Good info. Thanks.

I see Slattery yard signs out in Spring Valley (and along I-10) and virtually none for Cone. He needs to get out and become more visible.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Chief_FIDO12 said:

David Slattery ran against Caroline Bennett for the school board last cycle and lost big. Caroline was endorsed by the Harris County Republican Party and has been an excellent school board member. David was not endorsed by the local party... rather, he was endorsed by another fun entity...

David was also endorsed by Randi Weingartner and her union (they fought hard to keep kids and teachers out of school during and after COVID). And, David was endorsed by the Spring Branch Democrats in his last election.

Furthermore, Spring Branch has an incredibly bloated admin staff because of federal dollars that came into the district. Meanwhile, they close down schools and eliminate resources that the kids needs while keeping administrative staff. SBISD is quickly approaching the iceberg and the students will be the victims.

If the main phrase of a candidate is "unity", you can guarantee they'll be a rubber stamp for the administrators and the students and teachers will suffer.

Matt Cone for Position 3 all the way. And, his kids are CURRENTLY in the district, which is vital to understanding the problems they are facing now, rather than the student experience many years ago.
Looks like Slattery is endorsed by Mano and Lacy Hull as well.
Cibalo
Lots of Cone signs in the yards over in the Memorial High School and Bunker Hill Elem area.
stroodles
AG
Issue resolved.
TxKng82
AG
Don't know any of the other candidates but have known Cone for years through HLSR. Great guy and have no doubt he'd be a great asset on SBISD's board.
HDeathstar
This:

Good guy and is ready to fight for conservative schools and keeping the democrats from morally corrupting your kids. Still a lot of weeds to pull in SBISD.
ChipFTAC01
AG
HDeathstar said:

This:

Good guy and is ready to fight for conservative schools and keeping the democrats from morally corrupting your kids. Still a lot of weeds to pull in SBISD.

Thankfully they finally.mowed the ones at Nottingham elementary. Some real trees were growing.
Mikeyshooter
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

HDeathstar said:

This:

Thankfully they finally.mowed the ones at Nottingham elementary. Some real trees were growing.

Please elaborate.

ChipFTAC01
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

HDeathstar said:

This:

Please elaborate.

The grass around NHE hadn't been mowed in weeks. All that new landscaping around the school looked terrible. Huge giant weeds and a gutter full of leaves. I was about to organize a rotation of dad mowing crews to get it cleaned up. Still might.
12thMan9
AG
When Robin Hood is abolished, things will improve in SBISD, and in the other districts that send a **** ton of tax revenue to poor districts.

That $87M they sent out last year sure would help.
Ronnie '88
Mikeyshooter
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Mikeyshooter said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

HDeathstar said:

This:

Please elaborate.

The grass around NHE hadn't been mowed in weeks. All that new landscaping around the school looked terrible. Huge giant weeds and a gutter full of leaves. I was about to organize a rotation of dad mowing crews to get it cleaned up. Still might.

Lol I thought you meant metaphorically and was curious. Yeah the grass around NHE was looking pretty bad.

bularry
HDeathstar said:

This:

What is a 'conservative' school? Curious. And how are kids being morally corrupted?

I'm not in SB and don't have kids in public school, so I've got no opinion on the candidates or the election, just curious about how this support was framed.
Carmine Scarpacio
bularry said:

HDeathstar said:

This:

What is a 'conservative' school? Curious. And how are kids being morally corrupted?

I'm not in SB and don't have kids in public school, so I've got no opinion on the candidates or the election, just curious about how this support was framed.
Conservative means not adopting poison like what is the current prevailing DEI practices or tolerating gender idealogy nuts.
TheMasterplan
Nothing special here to vote in this election right?

I'm registered and live in Spring Branch. I don't have kids but I'll still vote.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
n/m
jcperez630@sbcglobal.net
AG
Matt Cone is for sure the most dedicated, conservative and invested candidate for SBISD. He helped fight for funds last year by going to the capital and meeting with legislators, he was raised in & attend SBISD schools and most importantly he has 2 kids in SBISD schools today. Slattery has not had a child in an SBISD school in over 10 yrs. As a parent of 4 SBISD students (2 current & 2 graduates, 1 is a current Aggie), the landscape of public Ed is very different today. We need a trustee with feet on the ground, students in the schools.
Please support Matt Cone & get out the vote to support him!!
jcperez630@sbcglobal.net
AG
jcperez630@sbcglobal.net
AG
Just to vote for Matt Cone.
No bond items this year.
H-town ag
AG
Marvin_Zindler said:

Chief_FIDO12 said:

David was also endorsed by Randi Weingartner and her union (they fought hard to keep kids and teachers out of school during and after COVID). And, David was endorsed by the Spring Branch Democrats in his last election.

Is this good or bad, sorry I have not followed Mano and Lacy??
TheMasterplan
Sorry I meant in terms of registration but I figured it out. Thanks.

I'll take a look at Matt Cone and the others. It's good that he has students currently in Spring Branch. While I understand those who are retired have "more time," you're still
Not going to have skin in the game.

A brief look at Ben Drew's tells me all I need to know with claiming anyone that disagrees with him is "being political."
BSD
AG
jcperez630@sbcglobal.net said:

Matt Cone is for sure the most dedicated, conservative and invested candidate for SBISD. He helped fight for funds last year by going to the capital and meeting with legislators, he was raised in & attend SBISD schools and most importantly he has 2 kids in SBISD schools today. Slattery has not had a child in an SBISD school in over 10 yrs. As a parent of 4 SBISD students (2 current & 2 graduates, 1 is a current Aggie), the landscape of public Ed is very different today. We need a trustee with feet on the ground, students in the schools.
Please support Matt Cone & get out the vote to support him!!

I said it in a previous post and I'll say it again. He needs to be more visible. There are plenty of Slattery signs along Gaylord and I-10 by MHS. Big signs too. Not a single Cone sign. I drive around Spring Valley and I've seen one Cone sign. I wouldn't even know who he is if it wasn't for this thread. If people vote on name recognition, Cone will get killed. Maybe he should spend some time sending out mailers, hanging up sign, doing the basic campaign things that make people want to vote for him. Based on previous elections, people will vote for someone like him, but they need to know he's out there. Otherwise…good luck.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
H-town ag said:

Marvin_Zindler said:

Chief_FIDO12 said:

Is this good or bad, sorry I have not followed Mano and Lacy??

Mano and Hull are both republican state reps. Stattery was endorsed last cycle by Randi Weingartens union and the local democrat parties. Interesting bedfellows.
TheMasterplan
Agree with this. I'm north of long point.

I've seen drews and slattery signs but no cone signs.
Diggity
AG
The marketing possibilities are endless. Someone really dropping the ball here.

NMAG94
David Slattery has served on over 9 committees in SBISD since 2006 and has attended most board meetings since well before you were even on the Board of Trustees. Matt Cone couldn't even show up last week to the Board meeting. And what exactly is his experience with the district? Having kids in school doesn't mean that you are at all in tune with what is happening in the district.

I would also recommend that everyone check David and Matt's voting records in the last primaries. You might be surprised by what you find.

And please explain why Matt legally challenged David's position on the ballot?
Mikeyshooter
AG
NMAG94 said:

David Slattery has served on over 9 committees in SBISD since 2006 and has attended most board meetings since well before you were even on the Board of Trustees. Matt Cone couldn't even show up last week to the Board meeting. And what exactly is his experience with the district? Having kids in school doesn't mean that you are at all in tune with what is happening in the district.

I would also recommend that everyone check David and Matt's voting records in the last primaries. You might be surprised by what you find.

Please provide more reasons for people to vote for Slattery besides attending board meetings.

Does he have a plan for dealing with the budget issues that doesn't involve closing schools and firing librarians and counselors? What else does he want to accomplish?

What are their voting records? I'm not going to check on it myself.

I honestly don't know either candidate and would welcome more specific discussions on why certain candidates are better for the future of the district.

BSD
AG
NMAG94 said:

Hi, David.
NMAG94
David would not be on this forum as he is not a former student, so wouldn't use this forum inappropriately for his own personal gain. Although I guess he could do as others are doing since two of his children are former students, as well as his wife.
BSD
AG
Here's a post I made about Slattery the last time he ran. I'm sticking with his incompetence as my reason for not voting for him. That and I just don't trust him.

Quote:

Figured out I'm not voting for Slattery. I'm not a fan of flip flopping (SMD) and if he didn't understand the issues in the first place, he's probably not qualified to be on the Board.

https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/3281801/2#discussion
NMAG94
I mentioned the multiple committees he has been on. This gives you vast knowledge of the district - not just one area of the district, but the entire district.

And attending the board meetings vs. not attending also gives you invaluable insight to what is going on with the district. He has worked with multiple board of trustee members, past and present, to try and lend his help.

I encourage you to check out his website slatteryforsbisd.com. Reach out to him - many people have and he is more than happy to talk with you at length about what he hopes to accomplish.

Regarding his voting record, I only mention that because so many have tried to tie him to the Democratic Party. David's voting record in the last five Republican primaries clearly squashes this.
NMAG94
Matt Cone just had a massive public flub regarding SBISD finance if you weren't aware. So, I guess that was pretty incompetent and untrustworthy.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.