Houston
Sponsored by

Eclipse traffic

19,232 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by 94chem
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Considering taking off the 8th to drive up to see the total eclipse. Anyone else doing this?

We are in the Spring area so going north on 45 seems the most convenient but I'm wondering how massive the migration is going to be on day of, from Houston to the eclipse zone. Like will it be hurricane evac levels crazy or just mildly heavy. In which case, would a smaller route to the zone like through CS be better?
7nine
El Gallo Blanco
Pic from the last solar eclipse to hit Tejas...

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I don't think outbound traffic in the morning will be too bad. The drive back in the evening will be pretty awful though.
one MEEN Ag
AG
I expect it to be hurricane esque. The rub is that you can pretty easily beat the traffic out to the I-35 area, but coming home is going to be like the start of a race.

Top secret, suggested path is to stay away from I-10 and I-45. If those backup (and they well) you're basically toast. I bet college station to temple/waco will just be like game day traffic. And if those routes get too clogged you can keep going further and further down smaller county roads until every county hits their speeding ticket quota.
maroon barchetta
My brother lives near Wimberley. They have been told to expect 50,000 people. They are only getting 2 minutes of totality.

Wimberley isn't that big. It's going to be a cluster. We are going to his place Saturday and making a long weekend of it.

If you leave Monday you might be really frustrated unless you leave at 4am or some time super early.

Getting back will be just as bad.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I predict the traffic nightmare will be a bigger story than the eclipse itself. T&Ps.
rangerdanger
AG
If the traffic gets too bad, my only advice is to turn around bright eyes. Other than that, there's nothing I can say, it's a total eclipse of the heart.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
If you're going to spend a lot of time in traffic to see an eclipse, you might as well do it right.
Serotonin
AG
Waco is expecting well north of 6 figures and Houston is where the vast majority are coming from.

If you leave early enough Monday then you should be OK.

Coming back Monday afternoon/evening? lol
Kenneth_2003
AG
I'm going out towards Concan. I'll get there Saturday and as long as the weather is good I won't leave that ranch until Monday evening. I might make it back to Houston before work on Tuesday.

Traffic into the areas of totality will build over the weekend, but when it ends EVERYONE is heading for the exits at the same time.

Edit to add.... There was a reasonably good thread over the weekend on F16 (politics) and a poster said that in 2017 they were in Wyoming. When the eclipse was over what was normally a 4ish hour drive to Denver took 13 hours.
Serotonin
AG
Yep, I heard to estimate 3X time for a typical drive. And pray there are no wrecks.
BMX Bandit
maybe I am just not understanding the draw, but is it really worth sitting in this?

i can't imagine it will be that bad
Ag_07
AG
BMX Bandit said:

maybe I am just not understanding the draw

Same boat

Traffic or no traffic driving a few hours to watch it get dark for a few minutes isn't my thing.
El Gallo Blanco
Maybe a dumb question, but will it be a partial eclipse here?
Texaggie7nine
El Gallo Blanco said:

Yes. I would imagine pretty similar to what we saw last year.
7nine
EclipseAg
AG
Not really. I never go anywhere.
TXAG 05
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

Yes, we won't get the totality, but we will have like 95% coverage which is still pretty good.

OP if you don't already have a place lined up to watch it, good luck.
agnerd
AG
1. Stay as far away from the population centers as you can.
2. Stay on this side of 35.
3. Waco seems like about the ideal location in terms of traffic from Houston. Far enough away from Dallas and Austin that most won't venture that far.
4. Pack food and snacks since restaurants will probably have a bunch of call-ins that day.
5. Fill your gas tank before you leave. Should be able to make it there and back on a tank for most cars.
6. Bathroom is really the only challenge. Baylor might not be a bad place to go if they have football parking and a bunch of public buildings and bathrooms. Local waco parks might also be a good place.
maroon barchetta
Plus their stadium looks like a toilet
Serotonin
AG
Quote:

3. Waco
"Excuse me holmes...know a good place to watch the eclipse?"

MAROON
AG
We're heading to Horeshoe Bay to watch it. Most probably will drive up either Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. We plan to drive back on Tuesday - thinking a lot of people will leave Monday afternoon/evening directly after the eclipse.
TriAg2010
AG
BMX Bandit said:

maybe I am just not understanding the draw, but is it really worth sitting in this?

Serious answer: it's an awe inspiring experience and worth seeing at least once in your life. The difference between 99% eclipse and 100% totality is literally night and day. It's probably never going to be closer or easier than this. Take a vacation day and go see it.
Ag_07
AG
agnerd said:

3. Waco seems like about the ideal location in terms of traffic from Houston. Far enough away from Dallas and Austin that most won't venture that far.

What map are you using?

Waco is only 1.5 hrs from Dallas as opposed to 3 from here.
El Gallo Blanco
TXAG 05 said:

El Gallo Blanco said:

Yes, we won't get the totality, but we will have like 95% coverage which is still pretty good.

OP if you don't already have a place lined up to watch it, good luck.
How do you think this would compare to the one we got last year in Houston? That was like a slight filter on everything. Pretty cool, but also subtle enough to where i am sure some didn't notice or just chalked up to slight cloud cover.
Serotonin
AG
Joking aside, Waco is going to be flooded with Houston visitors. This will not be an under the radar spot.

45 and 6 are going to be jammed heading back to Houston on Monday.

It is laughable thinking about the havoc that a few red lights between Waco and College Station will create. I wish TX DOT would intervene there but I wouldn't count on it.

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/government-politics/houston-visitors-could-flood-waco-during-april-8-eclipse/article_ce5b907e-e86b-11ee-821f-dfbfb056a87b.html
Kenneth_2003
AG
Ag_07 said:

agnerd said:

What map are you using?

Waco is only 1.5 hrs from Dallas as opposed to 3 from here.

Dallas is on the path of totality. Dallas folks don't have to travel to see it.
Texaggie7nine
I found decent hotel in Hearne TX (just outside of total eclipse zone), Sunday night of the 7th for less than $200, so booked it and figure we can drive up to Marlin or something to watch it on Monday. Then going to pack up and make a beeline for home right after the total eclipse is over, so as to avoid Waco traffic coming back to Houston.
7nine
GCRanger
AG
There is virtually no flight availability from SA to Houston on United or Southwest on Monday evening, Tuesday, or Wednesday. This will be a cluster.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I was going to take the SW flight from DAL to PIT but I've decided to go to the practice round at the Masters instead. Much less traffic and a better crowd to be around.
MAS444
AG
Any recs for a good eclipse watching place in the Maldives?
maroon barchetta
Serotonin said:

Quote:

3. Waco
"Excuse me holmes...know a good place to watch the eclipse?"

"You see that sign down there say RIB TIPS? Well **** that. You don't want that."
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

I predict the traffic nightmare will be a bigger story than the eclipse itself. T&Ps.
Hurricane Rita evacuation?

I looked at some hotel/motel prices west of San Antonio, and LOL at the rates for a Monday night.

Mainly, I took that as indicator of traffic, and based on estimates I've seen the last couple days, no way I'm sitting through that.

I loved astronomy as a kid, still stargaze, I think I understand the interest. But I'm not sure the time investment is really worth seeing it get dark - which happens every night anyway. I also remember times when we had to too much cloud cover to really see big events in the past.
maroon barchetta
Decent hotel in Hearne.

Ok.
Rock Ag
AG
Wife's family is staying in Fredericksburg but leaving after on Monday. Would 7 hours be reasonable to expect to get back to Houston Monday afternoon?
maroon barchetta
Not from what I'm hearing. I would expect it to be longer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.