Houston
Sponsored by

And so it begins ... Bad news for the bike laners

19,494 Views | 197 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Irish 2.0
ThunderCougarFalconBird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bondag said:

Houston is too hot and rainy for pedestrian traffic. Took spread out too.

We have miles of trails for exercise, but it's not going to replace cars.
it's always fun to peruse the pages of Nextdoor for the self-righteous jerkoffs that seriously believe a sprawling car city will magically turn into a European-style bike/mass transit haven at the wave of a magic wand called bike lanes. They seem to not notice the 6 months of the year where a bicycle commute will render most riders about as fresh smelling as a rotten taint after an hour of working out in an un air conditioned cross fit gym in Pasadena by the time they get to work.
BudFox7
No one is going to bike or walk shep durh. A facelift is much needed thiugh
htxag09
AG
I will say there are two ends of the spectrum. No, masses of people aren't going to bike to work in September. That doesn't mean you have to be a fat tub of lard who has to drive anytime you leave the house, either.

I work in the galleria and me and a coworker always walk to lunch or eat at our cafe and then walk after. Never fails that people driving will see us and act like we're crazy. Yes, it's hot. Not too hot to walk 1/4 - 1/2 mile to lunch. Plenty of people live near shepherd/ Durham to use those sidewalks.

Didn't realize it was going to 2 lanes, don't love that if so. I thought it'd be 3.
drumboy
AG
I thought it was going to be 3 as well like S of Washington.

The area on Durham that looks near completion is wide enough for 3.
wessimo
AG
I thought it was three lanes on S/D. Where is it only going to be two? The finished section of Shepherd has three right now. Looks pretty good IMO.

HeightsAg
For the sections under construction, I wonder if they'll finish it out or just leave it half done.
wessimo
AG
Article is paywalled, but I think I read they will finish the project north of 14th.
drumboy
AG
Sucks. North/South bike paths are lacking.

I've ridden to the breweries on Wakefield and it's kind of a **** show once you get close to 610 heading north.
htxag09
AG
HeightsAg said:

For the sections under construction, I wonder if they'll finish it out or just leave it half done.

Knowing this city…they'll probably spend even more money to rip out what's been done than just finishing it. Then they'll half ass button it back up and it'll be worse than before they started.
htxag09
AG
drumboy said:

I've ridden to the breweries on Wakefield and it's kind of a **** show once you get close to 610 heading north.

Take the heights hike and bike trail to the white oak trail then just take Wakefield east.
Irish 2.0
I may have misunderstood. I thought it was two because they still have most of it blocked off into a cluster****.
YellAg2004
AG
The finished section is 3 lanes like shown above. The main difference is the trees are between the roadway and the bikeway/sidewalk. This same section was supposed to be continued south all the way to I-10. The section from 15th to 10 is the section that's been put on hold.

The section between 15th and 19th was fully opened at the end of last week.
BudFox7
How long did it take them to do 4 blocks, and how much did it cost?
drumboy
AG
BudFox7 said:

How long did it take them to do 4 blocks, and how much did it cost?

Along time and I'm sure high cost with all of the infrastructure work they did under the road.
drumboy
AG
htxag09 said:

drumboy said:

Take the heights hike and bike trail to the white oak trail then just take Wakefield east.
True, I've done this and it's safer but crossing Ella with no light can be tricky. It's also 60% longer; Ella actually has a bike lane on the side but it's full of debris and folks honk at you....even on an e bike going close to 30 mph.
htxag09
AG
Yeah, I live right off Ella in Oak Forest.

Ella is a **** show in a car. Zero chance I'm riding my bike on it.
sts7049
AG
probably want to edit out where you live next time
Texan_Aggie
AG
htxag09 said:

drumboy said:

You should try crossing Shepherd at North Shepherd Brewing Co. Playing frogger across six lanes of traffic will get you going...

drumboy
AG
sts7049 said:

probably want to edit out where you live next time

Don't kidnap me
drmwvr
AG
I had breakfast at Snooze this morning in the area. I think the changes are a big enhancement to the area and are only going to make it more desirable. It's still three lanes so I don't understand why some folks are saying it hurts traffic. I'm new to the area so please educate me on this. FWIW, I purchased my first new car at TMV in the mid 90's….this area has CHANGED!

Thx

WES2006AG
AG
BudFox7 said:

No one is going to bike or walk shep durh. A facelift is much needed thiugh
This is absurd. I walk Shepherd St to the many restaurants on a somewhat regular basis, and I am not the only one. The Tine Board seems to think we all live in the burbs where everything is an hour walk.
Chewy
AG
I was/am against the bike lanes on 11th but don't necessarily have a problem with what they're doing on Shepherd.

My main question is what does traffic data show to roads going from 4 lanes to 3 lanes and how was that data used to study traffic volume/flow/patterns on Shepherd and Durham?

Assuming it's not going to be a massive factor I'm all for making Shepherd and Durham more pleasant in that stretch.

No doubt it's going to create a bigger bottleneck during rush hour but curious how long that really lasts and how much of a bottleneck it creates.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Yep. 4 lanes of the pothole ridden street < 3 lanes of new pavement.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Chewy said:

I was/am against the bike lanes on 11th but don't necessarily have a problem with what they're doing on Shepherd.

My main question is what does traffic data show to roads going from 4 lanes to 3 lanes and how was that data used to study traffic volume/flow/patterns on Shepherd and Durham?

Assuming it's not going to be a massive factor I'm all for making Shepherd and Durham more pleasant in that stretch.

No doubt it's going to create a bigger bottleneck during rush hour but curious how long that really lasts and how much of a bottleneck it creates.
If the performance of traffic on Shepherd as two lanes (as it's been for at least the last year) is any indication, it should be just fine. I'm like you - I don't see an issue with the Shepherd improvements because they are much different than 11th. Having the bike lanes completely separated from the road and the addition of trees between the bike lane and street is great. It looks nice and is much safer than what they did to 11th.
Furlock Bones
AG
Shepherd and Durham project officially paused. This city is such a cluster **** of stupidity.

https://abc13.com/houston-construction-projects-project-paused-in-the-heights-shepherd-and-durham-drive-federal-funding-at-risk/14747643/?ex_cid=TA_KTRK_TW&taid=66321c062fefcd00015a6fdb&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter
BMX Bandit
Quote:

Shepherd and Durham project officially paused
Great to hear!

No need to keep wasting money.
wessimo
AG
That story makes it seem like they are stopping work immediately and not finishing the first phase. Hopefully poor reporting.
htxag09
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Shepherd and Durham project officially paused
Great to hear!

No need to keep wasting money.
So....where they are now, would it be cheaper to revert it back to normal or continue with the project? Again, from where they are now, what's a better use of money and a better end state?

Acting like pausing this project will just stop the flow of money to it may be the dumbest thing I've read on this thread.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

may be the dumbest thing I've read on this thread.

I get you want the money to keep flowing. Liberals gonna liberal. Start wasting money on these bike lanes so we have to fund them perpetually. Great idea.
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

would it be cheaper to revert it back to normal or continue with the project?
How about neither?

"But the street will look different in different places!!!!"

In Houston? The horror.
htxag09
AG
BMX Bandit
Why are you projecting?

I'm not obese. Not in great shape, but far from obese. I walk lots of places.

Look, I get you really want this pet project for your biking as Ella is too scary for biking. Heaven forbid you ride on a different street.

The good news for you, bad news for the city budget, is that you will likely get your wish. So congrats on that.
htxag09
AG
Only one projecting is you.....

Also seems reading comprehension is hard for you. Never said I want to bike Ella or Shepherd. I rarely bike anymore. When I do, I 100% stick to the hike and bike trails, which is where I've always biked.
AgLA06
AG
drumboy said:

htxag09 said:

drumboy said:

It's also 60% longer; Ella actually has a bike lane on the side but it's full of debris and folks honk at you....even on an e bike going close to 30 mph.

Wakefield has a light if that is important.

Longer shouldn't be an issue if the point is to exercise. This is the hypocrisy that cracks me up on this projects. They're supposedly done to make Houston a healthier, more active city. But then it has to be done in the most inconvenient way for 98% of the citizens because bikers want a direct route that impacts the most people. They want to bike, but not really.
BMX Bandit
calm down buddy. this is a safe place. you called me obese because I don't want to waste money on bike lanes.

I apologize for wanting to be fiscally responsible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.