Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2023

47,856 Views | 436 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by aTm_bomb
TexAg2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My timing: Informal was 4/17. Formal was scheduled for 7/25 @ 4:26PM. They ran out of time that day and bumped my formal to yesterday, 8/7, @ 8am.

Oh, and the formal timeline was just as laughable. During their intro, they said the meeting would be limited to 15 minutes in length. They spent 5 minutes of that time introducing everyone, describing the property, explaining the "ground rules" for the meeting, with all of it being read from a script.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Anyone know how jubally comes up with their valuations for extra features (pool, garage, etc)?
Cromagnum
AG
TexAg2001 said:

My timing: Informal was 4/17. Formal was scheduled for 7/25 @ 4:26PM. They ran out of time that day and bumped my formal to yesterday, 8/7, @ 8am.

Oh, and the formal timeline was just as laughable. During their intro, they said the meeting would be limited to 15 minutes in length. They spent 5 minutes of that time introducing everyone, describing the property, explaining the "ground rules" for the meeting, with all of it being read from a script.

katika
I have a similar problem; I'm trying to remove an 'extensive remodel' label from my appraisal. I found your definitions of total vs extensive. Do you happen to know what comes before extensive? We bought our house from the investor who did cheap cosmetic changes to the house and based on the language used in the property listing, HCAD decided to add extensive and also classify our condition as very good (ridicules because even the 2021 new properties in the Woodlands are classified as average). My house was built in 1995 and in 2020 investor put new carpets, added granite countertops and put new but the cheapest possible appliances in (some refurbished). No plumbing/electricity etc. were changed. Does it qualify as an extensive remodel? HCAD doesn't have any permits for any work and there is a lot of things that were just covered up and now falling apart. I had an informal meeting at which I was told I had a valid claim for reduction for 2 reasons (condition/remodel and comps that were used in appraisal 4 of each almost 1000sq ft smaller than mine), but it couldn't be done during informal meeting, and I had to proceed to formal. However, the appraiser didn't spend much time reviewing the condition, didn't even look at photos. How do I properly fight the remodel and condition label on my appraisal. That is my first try challenging the property taxes and I'm super stressed.
Cru
S
ChipFTAC01 said:

Anyone know how jubally comes up with their valuations for extra features (pool, garage, etc)?

We pull it from HCAD. We don't come with that ourselves.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Cru said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

I knew it wasn't made up I just couldn't account for it like everything else. I thought it used to be on the hcad page. Fortunately while I was sitting and waiting on my ARB yesterday I noticed on the county's info page from my informal they had the exact amount for extra features so I figured I could just point to that.

My ARB yesterday was a bit of a mixed bag. Go through my spiel, propose a number, hcad guy throws up his comps and a number 30k more than mine, no discussion, go with his number. Got a reduction from my informal but it's just a frustrating process.
Cru
S
ChipFTAC01 said:

Cru said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

I knew it wasn't made up I just couldn't account for it like everything else. I thought it used to be on the hcad page. Fortunately while I was sitting and waiting on my ARB yesterday I noticed on the county's info page from my informal they had the exact amount for extra features so I figured I could just point to that.

My ARB yesterday was a bit of a mixed bag. Go through my spiel, propose a number, hcad guy throws up his comps and a number 30k more than mine, no discussion, go with his number. Got a reduction from my informal but it's just a frustrating process.

The entire process absolutely sucks.

If they'll never kill property taxes, I wish they would go with a kiosk system that you can submit evidence to and it run the numbers.
Martin Q. Blank
Cru said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Cru said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

If they'll never kill property taxes, I wish they would go with a kiosk system that you can submit evidence to and it run the numbers.
How is that any different that isettle?
Cru
S
Martin Q. Blank said:

Cru said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Cru said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

How is that any different that isettle?

Isettle still gives weight to hcad.

If I'm using the exact same adjustments as they do, there is 0 reason why I shouldn't be able to select a "reasonable" number of comps including recent sales showing that after those adjustments, my value should be the median of those comps.
stroodles
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

Quote:

If they have to change the comp value to be different that what they literally taxed that comp, it's more subjective and biased than a homeowner submitting the tax accessors factual numbers.
During my protest on Monday I literally told the appraiser, "I get that you folks like to use this magic math that says if this comp had the same type of garage and if this comp didn't have a pool, etc. then it would be worth x amount, but I don't deal with hypotheticals. I deal with what actually exists on the ground, and what actually exists on the ground for these comps is not at all the same as my property. That's why all but one of your comps are completely invalid."

He threw out 4 of the 5 comps as a result and I ended up with a valuation that was $3,000 more than the one valid comp because I got new siding and a new roof a couple years ago. All said, i got my value down $26K below the noticed value. It wasn't what I wanted, but I'll take it.

I use the exact same argument about their comps every year and it always works. Last year I got all five comps thrown out.
Had my formal meeting earlier this week, and was pleasantly surprised.

I used the RTT method - refuted their comps were applicable using their monkey math (4 of their five sales were outside my hood too), brought my own comps that I said were more in line.

Then showed the land value for my comps were the same as mine. That got me to the value of the actual structure and I argued there was no way my structure was worth 2x my comps.

I haven't read this whole thread, so if this has been discussed previously I apologize - When HCAD uses comps to value a property they use "noticed market value". Before my meeting I checked HCAD and all 5 of the comps used in my evidence packet had their market value lowered (yet it was never updated in my evidence packet). So I argued this was proof that they had pulled overvalued houses to come up with my homes market value in the first place.

My iprotest offer was $20K and got almost a $110K reduction in my formal hearing. I'll be back next year again...
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

Before my meeting I checked HCAD and all 5 of the comps used in my evidence packet had their market value lowered (yet it was never updated in my evidence packet).
You're lucky that your neighbors protest.
katika
I had my formal today and it was absolutely awful. Market value still ridiculously high, although they gave me the 11k decrease to wipe my tears away. Appraiser didn't even look at my evidence. He knocked out 3 out of 5 comps but still used properties that were almost 1000 sq ft smaller than mine. My subdivision is 80% 1-story houses, so he claimed there was nothing for him to find after the district excluded 2 claiming these sold for atypically low price (these were in my COMP). I wasn't able to remove extensive remodel and a very good condition. Even after seeing photos of the property with damaged, old cabinets that were only painted, he still claimed these were brand new based on a listing photo. The 3-member panel of parasites was there only to scold me and of course sided with appraiser. I'm beyond upset. I wish I could appeal, but with the complicated process and cost it's probably not worth it.
I will try to remove the condition and extensive remodel for 2024 through the regular process. The field appraiser will come to see my property. I hope at least these guys are fair.
TXTransplant
I've been thinking this is probably a good strategy for next year (if I protest myself...I probably will hire it out), even if doing iSettle.

Wait to submit your protest until the last minute to see if any comps have their values adjusted in the meantime. Use those adjustments in your argument.

The "recently solds" that only have to submit their closing statement usually iSettle and get updated values pretty fast.

The closest comp to my home (which was also a recent sale) did have its value lowered by HCAD prior to my board hearing. The appraiser used the same three comps as I did. The difference between my offer and his was I averaged the $/sq ft values and he used the highest (which happened to be the $/sq ft sales price that home).

Captain Winky
katika said:

I had my formal today and it was absolutely awful. Market value still ridiculously high, although they gave me the 11k decrease to wipe my tears away. Appraiser didn't even look at my evidence. He knocked out 3 out of 5 comps but still used properties that were almost 1000 sq ft smaller than mine. My subdivision is 80% 1-story houses, so he claimed there was nothing for him to find after the district excluded 2 claiming these sold for atypically low price (these were in my COMP). I wasn't able to remove extensive remodel and a very good condition. Even after seeing photos of the property with damaged, old cabinets that were only painted, he still claimed these were brand new based on a listing photo. The 3-member panel of parasites was there only to scold me and of course sided with appraiser. I'm beyond upset. I wish I could appeal, but with the complicated process and cost it's probably not worth it.
I will try to remove the condition and extensive remodel for 2024 through the regular process. The field appraiser will come to see my property. I hope at least these guys are fair.
WTF, isn't that how value should be determined? Based on the value that someone will pay for something.
aTm_bomb
AG
You must be new here.
katika
We had a field appraiser come to our house last week and he immediately agreed that there was no 'extensive remodel' done to our property. He changed the description to 'partial remodel' and condition from 'very good' to 'good'. When I was at the HCAD, I was told that even if it gets changed now, it's too late for it to take affect for the 2023 tax year. However, the field appraiser told me that there is a correction process but he's not familiar with it. Anybody know anything about it?
aTm_bomb
AG
wrong thread

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.