Houston
Sponsored by

Sports Authority at 249/1960 going out of business

9,174 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by David_Puddy
shano0603
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Already been having their sale for a week or so. But they still have quite a bit. Most that's left is apparel and shoes, but still have some other stuff left.

Thought some might like to take a look.
Harry Stone
AG
the entire company is going out of business. hth
cajunaggie08
AG
they've been having their going out of business sale for a month or 2 now. I picked up some shoes there last month for 40% off.
deadhead aggie
AG
bring back Burlington Coat Factory......quality pimpin' threads for the homeys........
swimmerbabe11
I'm interested to see what ends up going in there.

A certain awful sporting good store has declared intentions to open 5 stores in Houston, but I'm not sure what the locations are.

I think it's too close the Bunker Hill for AS+O to have interest...same with H-E-B
Ag_07
AG
Someone needs a geography refresher.
swimmerbabe11
Oops, I was thinking about the one on I-10 and Gessner.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
swimmerbabe11
Like I said, was thinking about the wrong location

FYI, the one on I-10 and Gessner is also having a sale...because all of them are having a sale.
Texaggie7nine
Live right down the road from the 1960 one. Go in and check once a week. They sure are slow as hell about going out of business. Drop the prices already.

$100 for $120 shoes? Give me a break.
7nine
shano0603
AG
quote:
Live right down the road from the 1960 one. Go in and check once a week. They sure are slow as hell about going out of business. Drop the prices already.

I agree. They will eventually have things dirt cheap. Go hide stuff you want somewhere and wait.
swimmerbabe11
I would imagine that the signage budget isn't very impressive right now.
Wouldn't be surprising if there are discounts being taken at the register.
shano0603
AG
quote:
I would imagine that the signage budget isn't very impressive right now.
Wouldn't be surprising if there are discounts being taken at the register.

I bought a pair of cleats today. Found a similar pair without a price tag hoping he would just make up a price. Nope, typed in the sku.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:

A certain awful sporting good store has declared intentions to open 5 stores in Houston, but I'm not sure what the locations are.

I think it's too close the Bunker Hill for AS+O to have interest...same with H-E-B

Does it rhyme with sticks?

They're putting one in Deerbrook Mall and one in the Westlake Marketplace outside of Summerwood.

Texaggie7nine
quote:
quote:

I agree. They will eventually have things dirt cheap. Go hide stuff you want somewhere and wait.
I found, by searching out and piecing together, a womens lefty set of clubs that were meant to be sold together with a bag for around $135. All I could find was the P-5 irons and a 3wood with no bag.

The guy said he had to charge me $17 a club.
7nine
98Ag99Grad
AG
quote:
quote:

They're putting one in Deerbrook Mall and one in the Westlake Marketplace outside of Summerwood.

One's going up near Baybrook as well. Guess they've finally made their way to houston.
Texaggie7nine
I heard field and stream is going to build a huge mega store near 10 and 99.

7nine
swimmerbabe11
quote:
quote:
quote:

One's going up near Baybrook as well. Guess they've finally made their way to houston.

My understanding is that they were avoiding Academy home territory, but now that Academy has gotten aggressive about moving into their turf, they have decided to hit back.
Chuck Gay
AG
A sticks is going in closeby this particular closing Sports Authority at Willowbrook Mall.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

My understanding is that they were avoiding Academy home territory, but now that Academy has gotten aggressive about moving into their turf, they have decided to hit back.

Heard the same from a golf Galaxy pro
7nine
eeaggie11
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

They are building one along with a Golf Galaxy, and Field and Stream just a few miles away from the Academy headquarters in Katy.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Field and stream and golf galaxy are going up next to the one at baybrook too. Never been or seen a field and stream store. How similar is it to bass pro and cabelas as far as products and pricing?
swimmerbabe11
I thought Golf Galaxy had laid off all their pros. That business has been tough.
StillNotAnAggie
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

They are building one along with a Golf Galaxy, and Field and Stream just a few miles away from the Academy headquarters in Katy.

They are also building one at The Woodlands Mall, across the street from the newer Academy.
62strat
AG
quote:

All assets are being sold/auctioned a la carte, they are not liquidating. So it's very plausible a certain competitor mentioned in this thread may want to purchase certain SA retail outlets.

Most stores have had no clearance sales at all.
Miles Finch
Field and Stream is owned by Stick's Sporting Goods. It's their answer to Bass Pro/Cabella's/Gander.
CW Griswold
I'm not sure how much Richard's is going to compete head to head against Academy. They seem to serve two different places in the market. It seems to be more similar to SA, just better.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Other than a more extensive selection of golf equipment, I've seen no reason to go to ****'s over Academy. I'm sure suburban white moms will love it because it's "cleaner".
Texaggie7nine
I think your outdoors guys will stick with Academy more. Even over Field and stream. They don't want big fancy stores with rivers going through and crap. They want good affordable outdoor gear or shooting gear.

As for the other sports, I think Dix is going to be a big draw, especially because a lot of the sports gear will be for their kids and their kids will want big flashy stores that look super awesome.
7nine
swimmerbabe11
IMO sometimes they have more licensed gear and they def merchandise better

Otherwise I think AS+O is superior. Their stores are all getting facelifts and new merchandising strategies anyway.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
Their stores are all getting facelifts and new merchandising strategies anyway rearranged and mind fooking big time.

FIFY

Seriously. Now when I walk into my local Academy I don't know what the hell to do. I have no clue where anything is now and I start to get cold sweats and butterflies knowing I can't find what the fack I'm looking when for years it's always been right here.
62strat
AG
quote:
I'm not sure how much Richard's is going to compete head to head against Academy. They seem to serve two different places in the market. It seems to be more similar to SA, just better.
SAs most recent CEO lessened the focus on guns/hunting, camping/outdoors, etc and put more focus on team sports (for kids teams and professional team branded clothing). This helped lead the way to their demise in many ways, because all the team sports stuff can be had a Walmart or Target for cheaper, although management played a huge part in their failure as well.

Richard's and SA were neck in neck revenue wise 10 years ago (2006, roughly $2.5b). Since then, Richard's has almost tripled their revenue to over $7b. They are doing something right, and a lot of people moving to TX might come from Richard's turf and not be Academy biased.

GoAgs92
AG
checked out the sports authority on Gessner at lunch today, you should hurry over there if you're in need of Lacrosse gear or Wyoming Cowboy t-shirts.

GoAgs92
AG
They also had a decent selection of baseball caps, if you like the 49ers

and the aggies.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.