Houston
Sponsored by

Sports Authority at 249/1960 going out of business

9,155 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by David_Puddy
03_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nothing in terms of golf clubs?
94chem
Which Aggies?
AgCPA95
AG
Sports Authority just seemed to have the oddest selection of clothing. Random Aggie shirt here, random Texan shirt here with nothing in stock - at least that was my experience at the Post Oak location which was always a ghost town.

I have been very happy with Richard's online store and they run a lot of specials if you are on their emails. I'm a fan of Academy but also hope they get some formidable competition as well.
GoAgs92
AG
The one on the grand parkway had a lot more stuff, if you're a Denver bronco or NM lobo alumnus...they had more golf clubs than I10, thought about an Adams oversized driver but didn't get it.

Some Taylor made, tommy arm our and Wilson individual irons and many putters.
Punked Shank
AG
aftershock
Per the people that work there, they are shipping stuff from other stores to the GP store. They said they get truck loads of pallets of random stuff daily. You gotta do alot of searching, but I found some decent deals. I got a gun safe in there last weekend for under $500. The same safe was $750ish elsewhere.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
the entire company is going out of business. hth
Actually it's not
Texaggie7nine
Ya so I'm in Denver this weekend and their football stadium is sports authority field at mile high.
7nine
lil99chris
AG
quote:
Ya so I'm in Denver this weekend and their football stadium is sports authority field at mile high.

Invesco left Denver after they named took the naming rights. Sports Authority closed stores.......what's next.

The problem with Academy is their "Good, Better, Best" philosophy is pretty weak in the best region and they flood each area with store-brand gear.
AgCPA95
AG
quote:
quote:
the entire company is going out of business. hth
Actually it's not
Originally is was a re-org with partial closings, but it now seems very likely it is a full liquidation.

Updated bankruptcy filing

62strat
AG
quote:
It has been named that for 6 years...

An update:
As of yesterday, they have finally decided to liquidate. You should see true clearance pricing starting Friday, until the end of August, the planned end of liquidation.

They are not making the $6mm payment in August towards the naming rights contract, so no doubt it will be renamed soon after, or go back to simply Mile High Stadium, since it was largely paid for by taxpayers. It still technically is Mile High Stadium; the naming rights are only for the field. XX field at Mile High.

A marijuana company has declared its intention to bid for the naming rights.. could you imagine? Another whole meaning to mile high.

Texaggie7nine
That's awesome. I enjoyed seeing a sign for dispensary in Denver called Mile "High".

They do need to fix the issue with weed tourists having nowhere to go to smoke up though.
7nine
JSKolache
AG
quote:
The one on the grand parkway had a lot more stuff, if you're a Denver bronco or NM lobo alumnus...they had more golf clubs than I10, thought about an Adams oversized driver but didn't get it.

Some Taylor made, tommy arm our and Wilson individual irons and many putters.
All I saw yesterday was 400 snowboards, ski boots, a few kids cleats. all that snow gear in HTine no wonder they are going out of business.

Anyone seen fishing kayaks on clearance - at SA or elsewhere? Would like a 12 footer.

Lost a bet on lived on E Coast for awhile - Deeks was much better than SA and the local chains. Still 15+% over Academy tho. Good to be home.
PeterPan
It'll be interesting to see DSG's Houston strategy. They are specifically targeting Academy's "home turf". From what I've heard, Academy is hurting DSG in a big way as they move north slowly. The lower prices are winning a lot of customers over.

DSG's corporate office is in Pittsburgh and they have struggled to adapt from region to region comparatively, and even in Dallas/ Austin, their stores still feel like they were built for the northern market, and are more expensive than Academy and even Sports Authority. They are cleaner and run national advertising so it should be a fun little retail competition to watch.

Because I was curious :

DSG has 610 stores, whereas Academy has just over 200 stores (according to their websites)
I found numbers that show Academy at $4.6 billion in sales, and DSG at $7.3 billion for total 2015.

That means that Academy almost doubles the sales that DSG does per store. I had no idea.
swimmerbabe11
Shop the stores and you'll understand. Per square foot, Academy is much more efficient than D's. D's has a big building with a lot of wasted space.
cajunaggie08
AG
I went inside a DSG in the Ft Worth area once. While it looked nice, I was shocked how big the place was despite not having any extra stuff than Academy. They had a decent sports team clothing selection. Academy always feels like their sports team section contains a selection of the most random shirts and a few off brand polos
AgCPA95
AG
quote:
It'll be interesting to see DSG's Houston strategy. They are specifically targeting Academy's "home turf". From what I've heard, Academy is hurting DSG in a big way as they move north slowly. The lower prices are winning a lot of customers over.

DSG's corporate office is in Pittsburgh and they have struggled to adapt from region to region comparatively, and even in Dallas/ Austin, their stores still feel like they were built for the northern market, and are more expensive than Academy and even Sports Authority. They are cleaner and run national advertising so it should be a fun little retail competition to watch.

Because I was curious :

DSG has 610 stores, whereas Academy has just over 200 stores (according to their websites)
I found numbers that show Academy at $4.6 billion in sales, and DSG at $7.3 billion for total 2015.

That means that Academy almost doubles the sales that DSG does per store. I had no idea.

DSG online sales has to be significantly higher than Academy which skews those sales/store numbers.

Edit: Found DSG 2015 online sales were $748 million so not as much as I thought but still I'm guessing its more than Academy making sales/store number look even worse.
swimmerbabe11
It's a scale of 22 million to 10 million per store..but they have 610 stores and Academy has around 210.
lil99chris
AG
Academy didn't have online sales until a few years ago. Additionally, Academy is hitting a lot of new markets outside of Texas and is doing well in many of them.
Token
AG
Academy has made us a lot of money
62strat
AG
Sports authority now doing 40% off merchandise at all stores. Will continue to increase as they approach their august complete liquidation date.

BTW, SA is no longer running anything, There are very few SA employees left in corporate or stores. It is all run by a liquidation company who purchased all merchandise/inventory at cost + 1% (around $500 million).

How does this make you feel.. In December (~6 weeks before bankruptcy declared and multiple years in the red), a few (like 10) in upper management took huge bonuses.. to the tune of $3mm.. (one particular individual was $500K and was only there for 2 years).

Meanwhile, beginning after bankruptcy filed, no one in corporate or stores got severance pay or even vacation time paid out when they left, whether voluntarily or laid off.

You wonder why 'the rich' get a bad name sometimes. People not even getting their vacation paid out, and a select few are sliding huge 6 figure sums their way for no good reason.
RK
AG
those individuals in corporate and the stores should have elected to go into upper management.
62strat
AG
Very few in upper management were those that worked their way up.. they had a revolving door of executives over the last decade, all of which were from the outside. Blame Leonard and Green I guess.
The Milkman
AG
Did they all finish their going out of business sales? Any of them with any inventory left?

I'd like to pick up a new baseball bat
shihitemuslim
AG
I think they close this weekend for good
Earl Haffler
Stopped by there last Thursday and there is little left. Clothes, some shoes, some football equipment, and posters.
David_Puddy
AG
quote:
Sports authority now doing 40% off merchandise at all stores. Will continue to increase as they approach their august complete liquidation date.

BTW, SA is no longer running anything, There are very few SA employees left in corporate or stores. It is all run by a liquidation company who purchased all merchandise/inventory at cost + 1% (around $500 million).

How does this make you feel.. In December (~6 weeks before bankruptcy declared and multiple years in the red), a few (like 10) in upper management took huge bonuses.. to the tune of $3mm.. (one particular individual was $500K and was only there for 2 years).

Meanwhile, beginning after bankruptcy filed, no one in corporate or stores got severance pay or even vacation time paid out when they left, whether voluntarily or laid off.

You wonder why 'the rich' get a bad name sometimes. People not even getting their vacation paid out, and a select few are sliding huge 6 figure sums their way for no good reason.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.