Houston
Sponsored by

Commute from the Woodlands to downtown

16,713 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Ciboag96
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
If you're going to live in/near The Woodlands, completely avoid any area that requires you to go through the 2978-Honea Egypt/1488 light. Had to go out that way yesterday around 5 and what a clusterf* that is.

This is 100% true! All those people who bought in Woodforest got punked! That intersection has got to be the worst one in at least a 50 mile radius! They are widening 2978, but if it's like every other road project in the area, it will just bring the intersection up to speed with the traffic load from 10 years ago...
water turkey
Good info fellas. Looks like I missed the boat on buying in the Woodlands.

What about the Klein area. Klein schools are good (I've been told to avoid the Spring schools). It looks like better deals on houses in Klein than Katy and lower taxes.

Fire away!
Ag_07
AG
Think you need to start a different thread for that one.
LostInLA07
AG
I've heard Klein Oak sucks. I don't know anything about the others but Klein Forest used to be the ghetto Klein school and I assume it still is.
TXTransplant
quote:
Good info fellas. Looks like I missed the boat on buying in the Woodlands.

What about the Klein area. Klein schools are good (I've been told to avoid the Spring schools). It looks like better deals on houses in Klein than Katy and lower taxes.

Fire away!

Yes, Klein and Tomball are both good. I'm in The Woodlands but zoned to Tomball ISD, and I know plenty of people in Klein ISD. You can get more bang for your buck in those areas (it will also, in general, be newer construction). In one of my previous posts, I mentioned zip codes 77389 and 77375. Start your search there. Auburn Lakes, Augusta Pines, and Wimbledon Falls are all developments that should have good options in your price range. In general, you'll probably want to stay north of 2920, east of 2978, and west of 45. There is a new development right around the Exxon Campus that is zoned to Spring (prices there are crazy, high, though, so it's not likely to come up in your search).
LostInLA07
AG
You'll have fairly easy access to the Grand Parkeay from those neighborhoods as well which maybe could help with your commute a little if you have to drive (Grand Parkway to Hardy)?

You'd have to drive ~15 minutes in the wrong direction from those neighborhoods to get to the Woodlands Express. Or drive to 1960 to take the Metro park and ride.
Ciboag96
In short, Klein ISD is opening a new skool soon so they will be shuffling the zoning for next year, maybe the following. So wherever you land, you may not be able to pick your place for your beloved chillrens.

Ciboag96
Oh, and the worst roads to drive into Houston from are 290, then 45S and then 45N. If you are choosing Klein you might as well jump over to Kingwood. Fewer meth labs and acadian canadians.
TXTransplant
quote:
You'll have fairly easy access to the Grand Parkeay from those neighborhoods as well which maybe could help with your commute a little if you have to drive (Grand Parkway to Hardy)?

You'd have to drive ~15 minutes in the wrong direction from those neighborhoods to get to the Woodlands Express. Or drive to 1960 to take the Metro park and ride.

This. If you're off of Kuykendahl or Gosling in the area north of 2920 and south of Creekside Forest/Creekside Green, you will be able to get on the Grand Parkway pretty easily without having to mess with 2920. 45S is ugly, but it's my understanding the GP should eventually have access to the Hardy (I'm not sure that's part of what's scheduled to be complete in 1Q 2016, though; someone else here can probably speak to that).
aTm2004
AG
quote:
Oh, and the worst roads to drive into Houston from are 290, then 45S and then 45N. If you are choosing Klein you might as well jump over to Kingwood. Fewer meth labs and acadian canadians.

Hey, Chubba...it's already been established that Kingwood sucks. Stay away!!
Katerina
Hi, I recently moved here from Russia. I would like to know what are good places here for buy house or apartment? I heard about Sugar Land and Katy city. I think these places are good. I am intererested in a good area and the middle price. Maybe you can recommend some more places. I appreciate your help. Ekaterina
aTm2004
AG
Welcome to the United States. One of the customs we have here in the US is that if you are a woman, you should post your boobs as a sign of friendship.
Cromagnum
AG
If you work inside the loop, live inside the loop, unless you work nights. Better yet, go to El Paso like was said before.
Forum Troll
AG
Not sure if all the ITL'ers understand the cost of even crappy houses ITL in the current real estate market.
Guitarsoup
AG
Do you own a helicopter?
94chem
We should have a contest for to guess true identity of Katerina sock. Make for much fun. Winner get free trip to Russia Siberia for to make brick.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
We should have a contest for to guess true identity of Katerina sock. Make for much fun. Winner get free trip to Russia Siberia for to make brick.

wessimo
AG
RENT and wait for prices to come down.
JSKolache
AG
Stop working downtown. Enjoy life.
Wife is an Aggie
Why is OP set on north of the city? Could look into Sienna Plantation. Ft bend toll into city isn't bad depending what time you leave. Can still get decent spot for $250k. Lots of Ags down here & good schools that are all in the neighborhood.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
Why is OP set on north of the city? Could look into Sienna Plantation. Ft bend toll into city isn't bad depending what time you leave. Can still get decent spot for $250k. Lots of Ags down here & good schools that are all in the neighborhood.
LMAO
Wife is an Aggie
quote:
quote:
LMAO

I mean the commute isn't great but there is a bus option & lots of ride share options as well. Not sure why this is such a crazy suggestion. The woodlands commute cannot be better than Sienna & he will find more housing options in his price range.
water turkey
quote:
My BIL lives in Sienna. I like the area. I'm not going to drive into downtown everyday. The company will pay for my bus pass but not my parking spot.

From what I can tell about the bus from Sienna, is that I would start at the Missouri City Park and Ride, go to the Medical Center Transit station and get on a train, go to the Downtown Transit Center and get on another bus to get to my office.

If anyone knows a different way to get into downtown on a bus from Sienna, please let me know.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Where's your job downtown?
water turkey
1600 Smith Street
ChipFTAC01
AG
Only difference I would make is that you would get off at the Bell Station rather than Downtown transit center and walk the last 4 blocks. You wouldn't want to transfer to a bus. Wouldn't be worth it for a 6 minute walk.
water turkey
quote:
Only difference I would make is that you would get off at the Bell Station rather than Downtown transit center and walk the last 4 blocks. You wouldn't want to transfer to a bus. Wouldn't be worth it for a 6 minute walk.
Any idea on how long of a commute that would be?
chico
AG
quote:
quote:
Any idea on how long of a commute that would be?
Give it a try yourself. Get out to your starting place early one morning & give it a whirl. If you're investing enough money to buy a house, you can invest the time to give the commute a trial run. You should try the return trip that afternoon as well to get a firm handle on the situation.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Getting on the bus at 7am puts it at right at an hour, including the walk from the station. Leaving at 715 or 730 puts you at just a little more than an hour.
Ciboag96
Sienna Plantation. A caucasoidal utopia. The fourth reich of Houston. Suburban living, without the inconvenience of big trees and a night life. But who needs boutique restaurants and a bar scene when there are enough swinger swap-meats to keep things interesting?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.