Houston
Sponsored by

Breakfast tacos

8,341 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Burnsey
MichaelJ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Incorrect sir on so many levels...

while the bun doesnt make the burger...a good bun can elevate a burger to new levels...

for instance...does it have sesame seeds on it? Is it a pretzel bun? Ciabatta Bun? Rye Bread for a patty melt?

the bread can literally make or break the burger...

the bread on a po boy can make or break a good po boy...

and the GOSH DARN TORTILLA Can make or break a good fuggin breakfast taco...
Ag_07
AG
Alright but I disagree.

I've had plenty of kick azz breakfast tacos made at tailgates, deer leases, and fish camps all made with store bought tortillas.

I tend to put more weight into the meat, eggs, and toppings. Whatever floats you're boat I guess.
MichaelJ
AG
im not of the ilk that thinks a mission tortilla ruins a BTaco...

but my point is that a good tortilla can elevate the BTaco to a higher level
TXAG 05
AG
Ignorance is bliss, I suppose
aTm2004
AG
quote:
Alright but I disagree.

I've had plenty of kick azz breakfast tacos made at tailgates, deer leases, and fish camps all made with store bought tortillas.

I tend to put more weight into the meat, eggs, and toppings. Whatever floats you're boat I guess.
Lets be honest here...you're usually hungover or still drunk when you eat breakfast at these places, and probably hungry enough that undigested corn from a chimps ass would taste "kick azz" to you.
DiskoTroop
quote:

This.

In a city like Houston Texas, those higher level tacos are not difficult to find. Thusly my opinion of what is and isn't a good breakfast taco is skewed. I'm used to truly outstanding tacos, so store bought tortillas don't generally do it for me anymore.

With that said, I can appreciate a store bought tortilla in certain applications. As stated, camping, hunting, tailgating... Places where a cooking environment is less than perfect or in another way compromised.
Ag_07
AG
quote:

I can agree with that.

My initial point was the OP was being way too picky if he can't find a good breakfast taco because of the tortilla.

Arminius
quote:
My initial point was the OP was being way too picky if he can't find a good breakfast taco because of the tortilla.

Glad it only took 2 pages of thread derail to get to your point.

Well trolled, sir.
idAg09
I'll agree that there are several places in Houston that get it right (not enough imo but that's another thread), but for right now Cypress is lacking.
MichaelJ
AG
I consider myself quite the breakfast taco connosieur. So. In the recommendation of this board, I'm giving arcos a chance today
chico
AG
Get the super with bacon. Flour tortillas are homemade.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Fiesta Tacos at 34th/Mangum is a solid option if you want to venture down 290 closer to the loop
Mustang1
AG
Big fan of arcos
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
quote:
quote:
Except they taste like cardboard and you should be getting a BOB in the first place.
Biscuit Sandwich

BJs at 2am
schmellba99
AG
Saying the tortilla has no effect on the overall quality of the breakfast taco is like saying the cut of meat and how it is aged has no effect on the quality of the steak.

It is just an ignorant statement.
MichaelJ
AG
Well done Houston board. Villa arcos is easily in the top 3 tacos for breakfast in Houston.

Chilosos, villa arcos, Laredo taqueria. In no particular order.

Ftr, had super with pork sausage and super with bacon. Both add jalapeos.
BBallAggie06
AG
Del Pueblo (corner of Jones and Grant in Cypress) has some of the best tortillas. I love their breakfast tacos!
cypress-ag
AG
Castillo Grill on Grant Road just past Jones. It's where Baldera's had been.
UndergroundAg
Can this thread die already?
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
Fiesta Tacos at 34th/Mangum is a solid option if you want to venture down 290 closer to the loop

Unless they made a huge improvement, they aren't anything special, not bad though.
MichaelJ
AG
I think you mistakenly posted in the breakfast taco thread, when you really meant to post in this thread
HolmesUkraine
I live in Humble and, unfortunately, this side of town is generally lacking in the really cool/great places to eat.

But we do have one of the best breakfast/lunch taco places in Houston. Tita's Tacos is outstanding, as almost 170 Yelp reviews attest:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/titas-taco-house-humble
MichaelJ
AG
but how are the titas?

inquiring minds want to know
Ag_07
AG
quote:
I live in Humble and, unfortunately, this side of town is generally lacking in the really cool/great places to eat.

#OTLproblems

Sorry but I had to
Ol_Ag_02
AG
quote:
Nothing out in GringoVille.

Chilosos Taco House
701 E 20th St

Worth the drive

The truth.
JSKolache
AG
Stripes fail. Tried the tacos at Westpark Toll & Peek today. Not so bueno.

Although the unoccupied Ford Taurus in the first parking spot from the door, replete with blackout tint & pistol perched on top of console, was a nice touch.
David_Puddy
AG
For the downtowners, a couple of good spots - Poblanos & Frontier BBQ (over near the Esperson Bldg).
MichaelJ
AG
Its nothing special...

but Papa's BBQ does a pretty good Breakfast Taco...its more of the burrito proportion really.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
Its nothing special...

but Papa's BBQ does a pretty good Breakfast Taco...its more of the burrito proportion really.
not fresh torts, GTFO

but I agree, the pulled pork taco goes hard
mm98
AG
quote:
Rudy's bfast tacos are delicious
Absolutely. And at 11am if you're still hungry, their remaining pre-made tacos go on sale for $1.
Burnsey
AG
Like a few already mentioned, Sierra Madre is damn good. Burnsey can be found here on Saturday mornings.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.