Houston
Sponsored by

Daycare recs in the heights

20,786 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by realtalk123
TombstoneTex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Eeeek I'm way behind, wife is already 3 months in and we aren't on any lists yet!!! Guess I'm getting on waiting lists this weekend!

Also looking in the Heights. Esperanza School looks nice.
Sweetums09
AG
Has anyone heard of how long the Kipling or Esperanza waitlist is currently? Expecting #1 mid-June and clearly late to the daycare party. Thinking about throwing $150 at Kipling but hesitant if we won't get off waitlist until pre-k.
Sweetums09
AG
& husband and I currently rent in Heights, looking to buy in Heights in next 6 months. If anyone has any other daycare recs or recent daycare insight please let me know!
230Ag
AG
$1350 a month??? Do they keep your keep all day, every day and that includes meals? wowzers that is expensive.
MAS444
AG
We got our 2 into Kipling much sooner than we expected. I can't remember how long they were on the list though...it was all a blur...
Shawdaddy
AG
We send our daughter to the Goddard School in Katy. She is in the "first steps" class now, but started at eight weeks in the infant class. We have been very happy with it.

I wan to say that the infant tuition was $1250 or so a month, and we got a $100 price drop when she transitioned up a class.
AggieT
AG
quote:
Has anyone heard of how long the Kipling or Esperanza waitlist is currently? Expecting #1 mid-June and clearly late to the daycare party. Thinking about throwing $150 at Kipling but hesitant if we won't get off waitlist until pre-k.
Not sure of the current wait at Kipling (I'd guess long), but you might get in sooner if your are willing to go to either The Kipling School or the Kipling Street Academy (Montrose) and then transfer when a spot opens up. We started at KSA and then switched over to The Kipling School after it was built.
Waltonloads08
AG
quote:
$1350 a month??? Do they keep your keep all day, every day and that includes meals? wowzers that is expensive.
Yeah, includes all meals and snacks for 1 year olds and older. it's also about to go to $1,400/mo in March. I don't know if its more for newbies or not.

Diggity
AG
daycare has gotten ridiculous. The wife basically needs to make 6 figures to justify sending two rugrats to full time daycare.
BMX Bandit
Your wife doesn't make 6 figures?

Perhaps the internet isn't the best place for you. We all take home $1/2mill here
04aggiegirl
AG
Maybe I'm crazy, but I think 1400 is a deal on the level of care my son's daycare provides (food is included). I'm biased bc he is in a daycare onsite at my office. Still a 9 month wait list for OG employee only daycare though. No perks there.
POW
AG
$1400/month = $325/week. If your kid is there 10 hours a day that comes out to paying $6.50 an hour. At $230 a week out in the suburbs for my 2 yr old it is less than $5 an hour. When you look at it that way it is extremely cheap.

Anyone know what sort of margins the average daycare earns? I can't imagine they are very high...

Diggity
AG
But isnt the "teacher" to student ratio at these places is around 8-1 or 10-1 for the older ones?

I'm not saying these people are getting rich, just that it's pretty damn expensive for the average slob.

They probably make a nice business collecting those $150 deposits as will. I wonder what percentage of people end up enrolling elsewhere?
04aggiegirl
AG
4:1 ratio for babies, at the place we use; state min in 6:1. 8:1 isn't awful for the pro's for the older kids, at our place there is always help when needed. I don't know about the typical places though. I love that my kiddo is around other babies.
mt3950
AG
We used Gonzales in the heights for a couple of years with our first kid. They were good.
maroon10
AG
We signed up for Kipling last March and have still yet to hear anything.
realtalk123
AG
Is this on Pecore or Patterson? Thanks.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.