Houston
Sponsored by

The Woodlands Soldout?

8,607 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by LostInLA07
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You live in ORN I take it from reading your post. Why haven't you moved? I'd hardly say it's horrible.

There seem to be a lot of people who want less restriction than the Woodlands has and ORN provides that.

Sometimes when I got ITL I'm astounded by people who live in expensive houses near the railroad tracks or around the corner from a washateria or some such.

Not everyone wants the same thing.
TXTransplant
No, I live in The Woodlands, in Creekside. There are some perfectly nice areas of Oak Ridge North. I'm talking about a specific area around Robinson Road (which includes the lots where those houses are being built) that is directly adjacent to the railroad tracks. Unless you've seen it, it's hard to explain, but it's doesn't at all seem like a desirable neighborhood for million dollar homes. Especially compared to what you can get in The Woodlands for that amount.

Just look at what else is listed on HAR in that zip code (77385). The next most expensive house (besides one that fronts Robinson Rd, which is supposed to go commercial) is in Imperial Oaks, and it's <$600k. Imperial Oaks is a nice planned community that is a few miles away from where those two houses I posted are supposed to be built. Blueberry Hill is a single street, maybe a mile long at most, and one block from the railroad tracks (the street runs parallel to the tracks). There is also a fairly large industrial park on the other side of those tracks. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I drive over there twice a week, though...I'm going to look to see if/when they break ground. So far, I don't think they have.

I get the different strokes for different folks thing, though. All the crappy houses that I looked at when I needed to buy sold...there is usually a buyer for every house...
Al Bula
AG
quote:
That new development adjacent to the Exxon Campus (Springwoods Village) is listing 1700 sq ft bungalows for $400k...and they are zoned to Spring High School. There is absolutely nothing else in that area that even comes close to that price per sq ft. I'm thinking those developers are banking on the transfers just not knowing any better.
Lots of people are transferring from Fairfax, VA to Exxon, right? NoVa is like the most affluent area in the country, so 400K is absolutely nothing for those folks. But I do get your point.
TXTransplant
quote:
Lots of people are transferring from Fairfax, VA to Exxon, right? NoVa is like the most affluent area in the country, so 400K is absolutely nothing for those folks. But I do get your point.

Yep, that was exactly my point...lots of people moving here with money burning a hole in their pocket, so developers put up houses at crazy prices in a crappy school district to see who will take the bait. I realize $400k for 1700 sq ft is nothing compared to prices in the Heights and other areas ITL, but that's really steep for the area up here. You can live in East Shore and be able to walk to the Pavilion for about that price per square foot.

Not to mention the fact that those Exxon houses are in my zip code. I hate to think what HCAD is going to do with $235 per sq ft data. The nicest new builds in Creekside (excluding the ones on 1+ acre lots on the golf course) are listing for $185-$200 per square ft (vs about $135 per sq ft that I paid two years ago).
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I'm fairly familiar with that area. A close friend of mine is from there (he's ORHS, '96) and his mother still lives near there. Chateau Woods, IIRC.

I don't think the RR tracks are that big of a deal. You're going to see a lot of that stuff redeveloped into higher-end retail and nicer homes.
TXTransplant
Pretty close...Chateau Woods is just north of Blueberry Hill, but east of the railroad tracks. It's slightly more "residential" than where those two houses are being built...Chateau Woods might actually have an HOA and covenants. LOL!

I've actually been kind of fascinated by that whole area east of 45 but around the Woodlands Parkway exit. There are some charming houses in there, but the planning was just terrible. Quite a few of them back directly up to I-45. And those shopping centers on the east side of 45 at Robinson Rd and Woodlands Pkwy could use a serious revitalization/face lift. I went in that Office Depot a couple of weeks ago and it was a ghost town.

I'm equally as fascinated by the area/houses along Glen Loch up to where it intersects with Sawdust. Although, I think previous posts in this thread have already addressed the future of that neighborhood...tear downs and rebuilding "luxury" homes are already happening.

I think a redo of the Woodlands Pkwy/Robinson Rd interchange with 45 could go a long way to helping revitalize that immediate area. It's just a cluster nearly every day.
Texas A&M
quote:
quote:
Everything said about that area of Oak Ridge (Blueberry Rd.) is correct with regards to it being crappy. The growth east of 45 all happening to the south and west of that area over off of Rayford and Riley Fuzzel.
For now.
Between the Grand Parkway and Exxon moving in down the road, the Riley Fuzzel/GP area will be one of the faster growing areas of Montgomery County for the next 5-7 years at least. This is definitely a mixed blessing though.
Dill-Ag13
AG
quote:
quote:
Quote:No, they're mad about Auburn Lakes, Magnolia, Shenandoah, and Oakridge people saying "I live in The Woodlands"

Fun fact: that small pentagon on the left-side of the map SE of "Station 5" is a GIANT estate in the middle of the woods.
The pentagon on the map is a little off. I lived off of Vesper Bend when the house was being built. Crazy thingis you can access it through the subdivision complete with a fancy gate or off of Red Bay road.
Yeah I live right near it. You can walk right up to the gate. Pretty cray.
LostInLA07
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.