Houston
Sponsored by

Can the Richmond Strip rebound? (Chron link)

5,527 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Some Junkie Cosmonaut
Al Bula
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Crowds long gone, Richmond Strip a focus of revitalization efforts
quote:
It was along this stretch of Richmond Avenue that revelers rushed out to celebrate after the Rockets won NBA championships in the mid-1990s. The annual St. Patrick's Day parade drew ample crowds to the six-lane street and to bars like the Yucatan Liquor Stand. Every weekend, partygoers found a vibrant scene of restaurants and dance clubs, arcades and two-stepping joints.

Widely referred to as the Richmond Strip, the area - just past the Galleria from Chimney Rock to Hillcroft and from Westpark to Westheimer - was the place to see and be seen for much of the 1990s, a flashy drag of bars, clubs and restaurants seen as the Houston's answer to Sixth Street, Beale Street and Bourbon Street.

Now the largely abandoned entertainment district is a focal point for city and business leaders in the area, hoping it can shake its forlorn image and draw on the energy of nearby businesses and retail opportunities along nearby Westheimer.

"It only takes driving up and down the streets in the area to see the problems that exist," City Councilman Mike Laster, who represents the area, said Tuesday.

The city's first Chuy's, Taco Cabana and Joe's Crab Shack rose in the area, where young professionals flocked to brand new apartment complexes.

Decades later, many of those apartment complexes are boarded up. The party people moved downtown, to Midtown and along Washington Avenue. Vacant properties and adult entertainment venues mix with remaining offices and restaurants.

"We want the area to overcome the negative image," said Daniel Brents, chairman of the Urban Land Institute panel commissioned to study the area.

Community meeting

The panel, which includes real estate experts, landscape architects and urban planners, presented a general concept to revitalize the area on Tuesday at a community meeting. They interviewed business owners and neighborhood groups as part of the study. A primary suggestion was to make better use of existing tools such as management districts, tax increment reinvestment zones and other incentive programs to help spur development.

John Dupuy, a landscape architect with TBG Partners, noted the disparate land uses in the area that was originally meant for single-family homes but evolved over time. He cited a few current bright spots, including new townhome developments, a group of exotic-car dealerships and custom car shops, and an immigrant community that recently created an independent soccer league.

"We wanted to find a way to make these anchors more significant and tie them together," Dupuy said. "We want to make corridors clean, safe, walkable and successful streets."

Problems identified by the panel include infrastructure, drainage and a lack of lighting. The group's interviews with interested parties also found that a lack of open space, parks and safe sidewalks hampered development.

The lower-end apartment complexes in the area are nearing the end of their "life expectancy," said Chris Reyes, with the retail division of Transwestern. He said occupancy is strong, so there is little incentive to redevelop or remodel the Class B and C properties.

On a positive note, he said, there are some Class A multi-family projects on the fringes.
In the retail sector, Reyes said, there are high vacancy rates and below-market rents, with a hodgepodge of businesses. There are many abandoned properties among sexually oriented businesses, small offices and flea markets.

Culturally diverse

But Reyes said the culturally diverse area could one day become a culinary center for Houston's foodies.

"It has the potential to draw energy from Westheimer. It's a big business district, and we want to bring that energy and move it south," Reyes said. "We could have new restaurants and retail along Richmond."

To fund any proposals, the area's leaders could attempt to take advantage of several tools, including TIRZ funding, management districts or incentive programs to bring in developers, said Tyler Ford with real estate brokerage firm HFF.

Management districts and TIRZ improvements could take up to a decade to revitalize a neighborhood, the city's chief development officer, Andy Icken, warned. The city has 24 TIRZ districts, which are tasked with helping improve various areas.

He said the city has in recent years focused on 380 agreements, which offer incentives to developers to build.

"Every case needs to be looked at pretty carefully," Icken said. He pointed to downtown, which is represented by a TIRZ district, as an example of a success. Market Square and along Main have seen a string of new developments in recent years, and this has begun rippling throughout downtown.

Brents, an architect and urban planner, said the panel purposefully did not come up with a specific plan for the area - so that many disparate groups would be represented.

"We hope for a long-term vision that is very positive, that benefits everyone at large," Brents said. "It has to be accomplished deliberately, slowly, over time."
Tom Hagen
AG
Still hanging out on the Strip.
Furlock Bones
AG
Culturally diverse

Serotonin
AG
Do law-abiding young people who have good jobs with ample money live nearby? If not then this will be a gigantic waste of money.
Texaggie7nine
One of the big draws of the strip was the cruising factor. Kids don't really cruise anymore do they?

I am embarrassed that as a teen I would sit in a car full of people only to drive a 3 mile strip that took an hour to drive. I hate traffic, why would I have enjoyed that?

Of course rush hour Houston traffic might actually be fun if you were drunk. Maybe I should try it some time.
7nine
Post removed:
by user
Boo Weekley
quote:
I am embarrassed that as a teen I would sit in a car full of people only to drive a 3 mile strip that took an hour to drive. I hate traffic, why would I have enjoyed that?
Because when you're poundin a mad-dog in your friend's Bronco II, bumpin Pac or Master P, and there's hot muff lining the streets, traffic ain't so bad.

We used to do the same back and forth all day long at Crystal Beach.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
So will HPD get on board and roust out all the MS13 bangers who effectively control a lot of those apartment complexes?
agnerd
AG
Put light rail down Richmond to get there and it might work to gentrify the area. Oh wait, sorry, we can't do that.
Boo Weekley
quote:
So will HPD get on board and roust out all the MS13 bangers who effectively control a lot of those apartment complexes?
Those apartments are really bad. Riddled with MS13, SWC, and black gangs. At least they were 4-5 yrs ago. It may all be MS13 turf now.
Diggity
AG
quote:
Chuy's, Taco Cabana and Joe's Crab Shack
talk about a some dubious company.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Put light rail down Richmond to get there and it might work to gentrify the area. Oh wait, sorry, we can't do that.

The Richmond rail doesn't run out that far anyways.
Texan76
quote:
Richmond is a good street with 6 lanes and a boulevard with nice trees lining part of it. Light rail would screw that up. I am biased as an Afton Oaks homeowner though.

Diggity
AG
quote:
group of exotic-car dealerships and custom car shops
these are some of the "bright spots" the panel came up with.

yikes!
Boo Weekley
quote:
quote:
group of exotic-car dealerships and custom car shops
these are some of the "bright spots" the panel came up with.

yikes!
Scientific
AG
"Club Roxy...at 5351 West Alabama...by the Richmond Strip"
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Gotta bring back Baby O's for this to happen.
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
Went to Thai gourmet last Friday night and it was great! Wild West is still a good spot!
Texaggie7nine
Bring back City Streets!
7nine
Bob Kelso
AG
quote:
Do law-abiding young people who have good jobs with ample money live nearby? If not then this will be a gigantic waste of money.

Yes. Closer to San Felipe.

They need to repave Richmond first and then tear down those apartments. That road needs work done asap.

I don't think it will be a success though. There is just way too much shady **** south of Richmond. The strip clubs don't help. I mean midtown is a bar hopping walking distance kind of fun. Richmond and Westheimer are like hookers and blow kind of fun, mixed in with a little high roller atmosphere. What kind of trouble do you want to get in?
Original_NoOlives
AG
Live at Richmond & Timmons and I'm all for it
bigjag19
AG
The Joe's Crab Shack had a fire in December.
mm98
AG
I lived in Greenridge Place from 2001-2003 and it was bad then. Can't imagine how rough it must be now.
aTm2004
AG
I went to some venue off of Richmond back in 2008 or so with a girl I knew from A&M to see a friend of hers band play. She was a bit too tipsy to drive, so we took my truck back to her place. When I took her back the next morning to get her car, somebody had broken 3 of her windows and only took a pair of sweaty panties from her gym bag in the back seat.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Hey, there is a big market for sweaty American girl panties. Fella's gotta make a living.
HBCanine08
AG
quote:

same here, bruh. It was always exciting seeing people run out the clubs in the middle of the street. Saw a fight or two break out too
AgCPA95
AG
quote:
I lived in Greenridge Place from 2001-2003 and it was bad then. Can't imagine how rough it must be now.
My apartment from 1996 - 1999. Was quite a bit of fun back then and before it go too shady but it was coming quickly. Break-ins started to become a a pretty regular thing.

We are pretty certain Rudy T's girlfriend must have lived there
Tony Tedeschi
Blue Planet...
Buck O Five
AG
Any of you know more about this Urban land Institute that did the research? It looks to be local charters of a global group, funded mostly through sponsorships and membership dues. Were they involved in any of the revitalized or newly successful parts of town?
JJxvi
AG
They are involved with saving the Astrodome.
ChipFTAC01
AG
ULI is a big group of real estate and planning nerds. Kind of a trade organization. They like to think about big plans of what they would like to do with other peoples' properties and other peoples' money.
Tom Hagen
AG
quote:
I went to some venue off of Richmond back in 2008 or so with a girl I knew from A&M to see a friend of hers band play. She was a bit too tipsy to drive, so we took my truck back to her place. When I took her back the next morning to get her car, somebody had broken 3 of her windows and only took a pair of sweaty panties from her gym bag in the back seat.
Sounds like the Concert Pub. Regulars know not to keep their car there too late. Bums descend on that area like zombies after midnight.
mm98
AG
quote:
quote:
My apartment from 1996 - 1999. Was quite a bit of fun back then and before it go too shady but it was coming quickly. Break-ins started to become a a pretty regular thing.

We are pretty certain Rudy T's girlfriend must have lived there
Thats what pushed us out. We would get get break-in notices almost weekly from the office. Once we got 2-3 helicopter searches in our area during the holidays it was time to go!
Original_NoOlives
AG
Still tons of Asian HJ massage joints peppered throughout the strip, so what's the problem?
Buck O Five
AG
Thanks for the info JJ and Chip. Sounds like a worthless group.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.