Houston
Sponsored by

Looking at homes in woodforest

3,298 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by MAS444
Aggwife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone live there or familiar with the area? How do you like it? Love the trees, but I'm afraid of it being too far out. We are looking for good schools and lots of families. Commute to tomball so that shouldn't be a concern.

Any insight is appreciated!
TXTransplant
Make sure you check the schools/school zones. IIRC, parts of the subdivision are zoned for Montgomery ISD and other parts are zoned for Conroe ISD. Even if you don't have kids, the zones will affect resale (just ask the folks who bought in The Woodlands May Valley...).
Aggwife
Yes, you're correct about zoning, but I'm not familiar with either. Which is the most desirable?
Conroe ISD as a whole doesn't look like it ranks very high, however I'm sure the schools in the woodlands are pretty darn good.
TXTransplant
Yeah, the Conroe ISD schools in The Woodlands are pretty good (the high schools are huge, though). We are actually in Tomball ISD, so I don't know too much about the other schools in Conroe ISD or Montgomery ISD. I do know that a brand new elem school just opened up there, but I'm not sure which district it's in. The head of my department at work moved his family up to Montgomery from The Woodlands because he did not like how huge the two Woodlands high schools are. He speaks very highly of Montgomery High.
Aggwife
Appreciate your help txtransplant.
I'm not 100% sold on woodforest and open to other neighborhoods. Any you recommend around there or tomball? Budget of around 350-400k. Just needs to be family friendly.
Currently living in bridgeland and would like trees taller than 4 ft!
TXTransplant
It really depends on what your expectations are for that budget. We are in Creekside in The Woodlands and love it here. We are in Tomball ISD, but I would not call where we live Tomball. The school district lines are just crazy. Your taxes and insurance will be lower if you buy in Montgomery County, though. I've been happy with our elem school because it's brand new and was built in the subdivision. We can walk there, if we need to. It's also K-6, which I prefer. A brand new junior high is being built across the street from our elem school, and it should be open by the time my kid gets to 7th grade. I'm not thrilled with the high school, mainly because it's so far away, but I have a while before I have to worry about that. Having good schools right near our house was a big priority for me.

With that budget in Creekside, you could probably get a resale with about 2500-2800 sq ft that is less than 5 years old (Not new construction, though. Those prices in Creekside have gone through the roof). Options in Tomball, and Spring/Klein should be a little cheaper. I've heard great things about Klein schools as well. You just have to be careful if you move to a more "rural" area with schools that zoned for larger areas with a less dense population.

I would expect that when Woodforest is built out, that new elem school will service kids that almost exclusively live in Woodforest. That's what has happened in Creekside. One of the two elem schools has only kids who live in the Creekside development. The other one has a few from outside the subdivision, but not too many. Creekside is big enough that, in addition to the junior high, they have also started construction on a third elem school. There are pros and cons to having a school that serves such a limited geographic location, but so far, the pros for us have greatly outweighed the cons.

I'm not too familiar with the rest of Tomball, just because I didn't really look in that area. My search was limited to Montgomery County, and then Creekside, when I couldn't find anything I liked in MoCo.

TXTransplant
Try searching in zip code 77375. Some of its zoned to Tomball ISD, other parts to Klein ISD. But there are some developments/neighborhoods that are wooded.
Dill-Ag13
AG
2978 REALLY sucks at 5pm
Aggwife
Dill- not sure it can be any worse than 290 @ 5
AMB99
AG
Been here 3 years. Work in The Woodlands. Very nice area, glad we bought when we did, couldn't afford same house today. But we love it here. Trees, deer and other wildlife, close to The Woodlands.

1488 and 2978 are crowded and busy but what road isn't in Houston these days. Expect it'll get widened as north south transit to Grand Parkway. There's a choke point currently as road up to WF is only entry into two neighborhoods with left turns. Expect widening and turn lane to help tremendously.

Typical issues with any large master planned community. But positives outweigh by far.

Some issues: Internet service has one provider with hit or miss performance at times, bills are higher than expected for electricity (co-op, not deregulated), water, and natural gas, be sure CISD vs MISD before selecting section, some issues with cell service depending on provider (rural issues all as we are pretty far out)
Dill-Ag13
AG
quote:
Dill- not sure it can be any worse than 290 @ 5

Correct. Carry on.
MAS444
AG
Not familiar with these areas...but we took a random detour when we were in the tomball area (I think) and ended up in a neighborhood that I think was called waldenwood. Near the tomball country club. It looked really nice. Big lots, wooded, etc. If I had to move to the burbs, it would be some place like that. Anyone know the place I'm talking about? I'm guessing traffic sucks on that main road during peak times.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.