Houston
Sponsored by

Property values in the Heights

12,646 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by BarryProfit
grizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agreed. Not sure if price is based on misinformation or necessity, but regardless, they've got a number of reductions to go before they'll get what it is worth.
jmac98
AG
Ryan the Temp, did you ever get another quote for that garage apartment. I live in the Heights on Waverly between 9th and 10th. My wife and I are think about building a garage apartment if we decide to stay in our house, since we are having a second kid and will be fresh out of bedrooms for any guests to stay at our house. I saw that you got a quote for $111K, and I nearly threw up. Yikes! That's pricey.

If you don't know what you're doing, do it quickly.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I got a quote for a different design at $94K.
88jrt06
AG
quote:
quote:

Guess what I meant was Houston was one of the last cities to not a have an upper middle class demographic living in-town. River Oaks always existed but that is more upper class (generational wealth) than upper middle class.

Dallas has several in-town upper middle class neighborhoods, but Houston had none until around 2000. West U as it is today is relatively new.

[This message has been edited by hombre (edited 8/19/2014 9:24a).]

Sorry, hombre. That assertion is just wrong. A/O 2000:

West U had plenty of 1-3m homes.
Bellaire has many half-acre lots...built out for decades, and gentrified into 1-2+++m homes.
Southampton has been upper-middle for 50-75+ years.
Braeswood Place has 4-7K sf homes within walking distance of Med Ctr... Upper-Middle.
Old Braeswood, even more so.
Upper Kirby area....Ferndale Place, Davy Crockett and many more....M dollar homes for decades.
Mid Lane....more recent, but WAY before 2000. Riddled w/1-2m homes.
Afton Oaks...originally mid-class....I'd say upper-mid since 1990s.
Crestwood...at least since 1980s-90s.

Also, large parts of Montrose.
The Museum District.
Parts of Southgate.
A few streets in Meyerland
Parts of The Heights...large parts.

Never mind Upper-Class like Remington Place, River Oaks, etc. Houston's had a large upper-mid population for many decades....obviously larger than Dallas'....to be fair, larger city. Dallas' de facto segregation just makes the "Upper-middles" more isolated w/in the inner city.
CrossBowAg99
AG
Some of these idiots don't venture out of the heights very often
hombre
95gh87,

Stringing together a few blocks spread throughout the inner loop hardly constitutes a neighborhood, the key point of my argument. Moreover, I said around 2000 implying plus/minus a few years which is when most of your evidence started to gentrify.
Diggity
AG
Nearly all of those areas were all nice well before 2000.
88jrt06
AG
quote:
95gh87,

Stringing together a few blocks spread throughout the inner loop hardly constitutes a neighborhood, the key point of my argument. Moreover, I said around 2000 implying plus/minus a few years which is when most of your evidence started to gentrify.
You're uninformed, "hombre".

"A few blocks spread throughout the inner loop". Wrong. Just two areas: WU/Bellaire (adjacent) combined for a population of 25-30,000 WELL before 2000. Old Braeswood/Braeswood Place (adjacent again)...many thousands more. Afton Oaks/Mid Lane...maybe 5,000. A few blocks my ass! Just wrap around Rice/Med Ctr and you can drive through Southampton/Southgate/Old Braeswood/Braeswood Place/WestU/Upper Kirby AND Bellaire without EVER leaving these large Upper-Middle Class areas. Tens of thousands of adjacent.UMC residents in place, for the most part, for DECADES. "In-town".

So what if you said "about" the year 2000. You're wrong by decades, for the most part. I know; I was buying close-in RE as far back as the 1980s.

Stick to Dallas. You don't know Houston, based on your flat statement.
JJxvi
AG
quote:
Afton Oaks/Mid Lane...maybe 5,000.

I dont know about your other numbers, but this one seems way high, unless you're counting apartment dwellers north of Westheimer in your "upper middle class"

Afton Oaks, which is the bigger part by land area only has about 500 homes. Mid Lane has smaller lots and houses and patio homed crammed in there, but I doubt there are another 500.
bullard21k
AG
RTT,
That house you listed on the last page is still listed....looks like they dropped it back to 639k

A few things:
I can't believe how poorly they used the space in the b yard. That is a lot of real estate to just put down a concrete slab. Rooms were odd shaped, kitchen was bland and and nothing elaborate was done with lighting or fixtures.

Just my opinion but that house should be listed more in the 450-475k range....if that is an urban living home I'd advise nobody to buy it above 350 with the amount of repairs that will be required in the next few years.
Stan Crowch
AG
There is no such thing as an Urban Living home.
bullard21k
AG
Meaning?
Stan Crowch
AG
Urban Living isn't a builder.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I don't recall who flipped it. It was being used as a commercial space for a while, so it might have been the business that finished it out after the foreclosure. I considered buying it, but it was overpriced then, too.
88jrt06
AG
quote:
quote:

I dont know about your other numbers, but this one seems way high, unless you're counting apartment dwellers north of Westheimer in your "upper middle class"

Afton Oaks, which is the bigger part by land area only has about 500 homes. Mid Lane has smaller lots and houses and patio homed crammed in there, but I doubt there are another 500.
J-

My goal was refute some naive comments by "Hombre". Necessarily rough numbers, because of the plethora of options ITL! Afton has about 550 homes. Kettering....add another 50-150. Mid Lane is decidedly more densely populated...small lots, townhouses, small cul-de-sacs....Also, remember, Mid Lane crosses W'heimer and goes to San Felipe, so count those adjacent streets (townhouses, etc.) Not counting any apartments ! For my original purpose (refute: "No Upper-middle hoods 'til 2000 unlike Dallas"), it is useful to note that Mid Lane abuts both $$$Oak Estates, and up/coming Lynn and Highland Park. You're right; I could have been more precise, but the Afton/Mid neighborhood with similar adjacent 'hoods would, I believe go well over 5,000. Also, forgot about Royden. To summarize, I'd more properly call this "Greater Highland Village" with adjacent 'hoods that have easily been Upper-Mid for decades....maybe 5-10K total UMC.
I should have been clearer, but there are so many historically UMC "in-town" neighborhoods.
Texan76
quote:
quote:
quote:

J-

My goal was refute some naive comments by "Hombre". Necessarily rough numbers, because of the plethora of options ITL! Afton has about 550 homes. Kettering....add another 50-150. Mid Lane is decidedly more densely populated...small lots, townhouses, small cul-de-sacs....Also, remember, Mid Lane crosses W'heimer and goes to San Felipe, so count those adjacent streets (townhouses, etc.) Not counting any apartments ! For my original purpose (refute: "No Upper-middle hoods 'til 2000 unlike Dallas"), it is useful to note that Mid Lane abuts both $$Oak Estates, and up/coming Lynn and Highland Park. You're right; I could have been more precise, but the Afton/Mid neighborhood with similar adjacent 'hoods would, I believe go well over 5,000. Also, forgot about Royden. To summarize, I'd more properly call this "Greater Highland Village" with adjacent 'hoods that have easily been Upper-Mid for decades....maybe 5-10K total UMC.
I should have been clearer, but there are so many historically UMC "in-town" neighborhoods.
This right here. Afton Oaks, Kettering, Royden Oaks, Highland Village, Oak Estates, Lynn Park, Avalon Place, etc. all have been very nice neighborhoods for a long time. There are a lot of nice houses in between Shepherd, 610 West Loop, US 59, and San Felipe that are not in River Oaks.
88jrt06
AG
Texan:

Bingo!
BarryProfit
Dallas people dobt consider an area "nice" if there is a black or brown person within a 5 mile radius.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.