Houston
Sponsored by

Property values in the Heights

12,645 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by BarryProfit
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sweet Jesus! A house on my block just went on sale. It is a 1200 SF 2/1 bungalow on a 6,000 SF lot with no garage. It is almost directly comparable to my property, except that I have a garage with an apartment above it that brings in rental income.

The list price is $429,000.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Good lord
Ryan the Temp
AG
I paid $163,200 in 2006.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Bubbling...
EconAg05
AG
Sell that **** son!!!
HvilleAggie
Ducks4brkfast
AG
quote:
Bubbling...

yes it is....

chico
AG
you shoulda bought like I did 20 yrs ago son.
tremble
AG
RtT going to throw a Tine board party when he sells
Ryan the Temp
AG
Sell?

No way. That's a retirement investment.
testosterbone
AG
Sell now, live like a king in the 'burbs, move back in when the bubble pops, seriously profit.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
When I first moved to Houston in 2003 the rib and I had an opportunity to buy a newly renovated 2/1 bungalow on E. 6th 1/2 that had a detached 2-car garage with a downstairs room that was approximately the same size as the garage but was finished out and it had a 1/1 apartment above the garage that had the same footprint as the garage building so it wasn't a little efficiency type place.

Anyway, they were asking $200K for it then and I couldn't convince the rib because she thought the area too dicey.

That place would probably list for $500K today.
Waltonloads08
AG
out of staters are paying stupid prices in the heights. they don't know any better.

you really should probably sell if you stand to make over a quarter million after 8 years.

you might not see these prices for long, or again for some time.
BarryProfit
Some three story rebuilds on my block are going for $900k. I'd guess they are three bedroom three baths. It's craziness.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Even last year that would have been $350, and why I bought in Timbergrove which is still insane.
BarryProfit
quote:
out of staters are paying stupid prices in the heights. they don't know any better.

you really should probably sell if you stand to make over a quarter million after 8 years.

you might not see these prices for long, or again for some time.

What makes you think prices are going down anytime soon? Every industry present in the city is getting tons of outside money poured into their houston operations. These are folks who make these hundreds of millions of dollars evaluations for a living, they are smart folks. I hope it slows down a bit but I suspect it's going to have some legs.
BarryProfit
quote:
Even last year that would have been $350, and why I bought in Timbergrove which is still insane.

No, it was probably $500s even three years ago. It's crazy but not THAT crazy.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
On Alexander?
BarryProfit
No
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Sell now, live like a king in the 'burbs, move back in when the bubble pops, seriously profit.
MAROON
AG
bought my first house in West U (6700sf lot, bungalow 3/2) for $179k in 1994. Best investments I've ever had were West U real estate.
BarryProfit
Bump if I'm wrong and I will eat me some crow but worry about the bubble "popping" shouldn't be you're main rationale for selling, at least any time soon.
Dan Scott
AG
There is no bubble. There is a lot of people moving here and not a lot of supply. Plus there's a lot of cheap money so you get higher prices.
Chewy
AG
There's no bubble per say as its not the same as other markets in the 2000s where people were putting no money down on interest only loans counting on appreciation to either refi or sell and take the equity. That's a bubble scenario and it's not happening here.

But, the market is susceptible to cheap interest rates and a GREAT economy thanks to the price of oil. If interest rates go up and the price of oil drops for whatever reason then the market will slow down quite a bit.

I do think a lot of people no longer realize how insanely low interest is for mortgages and just take it for granted. If that pops up another 2% for whatever reason homes the price increase will slow down quite a bit. Don't really see it happening but to me interest rates will effect home appreciation before anything else.

Don't see the price of oil dropping anytime soon as the demand is just too high and everyone is smarter about production for the most part not flooding the market and letting everyone reap the benefits.
Charlie Murphy
Just as a respons to the cheap money argument, cheap money is what caused the last bubble. Also responsible for the student loan issues we have right now.
Dan Scott
AG
Yeah but this time the cheap money is going to people with money
drumboy
AG
Our 2/1 in Timbergrove would go for well over $100k what we paid for it in 2009 but we'd pay as much of a premium anywhere we'd move so were trying to rebuild in a year or so. Then I'll really bltch about taxes.

New construction is going for 1.2m 2 houses down.
Chewy
AG
People making $100k a year with bad credit aren't getting $500k interest only no money down loans like last time.

I agree the student loan issue is a bigger potential bubble than real estate. Real estate would just see stagnant or a slight decline with a few forclosures nationwide but nothing like last time. I don't think most people in Texas realize what a bubble other markets were.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
quote:
Our 2/1 in Timbergrove would go for well over $100k what we paid for it in 2009 but we'd pay as much of a premium anywhere we'd move so were trying to rebuild in a year or so. Then I'll really bltch about taxes.

2/1 1.2m.... Someone lives on the fancy side of 11th.
drumboy
AG
quote:
quote:

2/1 1.2m.... Someone lives on the fancy side of 11th.

The $1.2m house is far from a 2/1.

http://www.har.com/mobile/touch/static/dispDetail.cfm?mlnum=64347124
TheWoodsAg
AG
We had a 1050 sqft in Woodland Heights that we bought in 2010 at $279k and just sold at $462k....Htown is hothothot
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
I know I know but there aren't many 2/1 on the other side of 11 err the other side of TC if that side of 11.

[This message has been edited by Lot y tailgate (edited 8/14/2014 10:32p).]
drumboy
AG
I'm on Wynnwood east of the bayou. Maroon house, Aggie pennant thing and big oaks.
drumboy
AG
Off topic but Lot Y are you really tailgating in lot y this year? That's where my parking pass is.

[This message has been edited by Drumboy (edited 8/15/2014 5:46a).]
MathNewman06
AG
quote:
When I first moved to Houston in 2003 the rib and I had an opportunity to buy a newly renovated 2/1 bungalow on E. 6th 1/2 that had a detached 2-car garage with a downstairs room that was approximately the same size as the garage but was finished out and it had a 1/1 apartment above the garage that had the same footprint as the garage building so it wasn't a little efficiency type place.

Anyway, they were asking $200K for it then and I couldn't convince the rib because she thought the area too dicey.

That place would probably list for $500K today.

I know that house very well- rented it for a year in 2009-10 before we bought our house. The owner said he would sell it to us for 500k then, would be even more now with how white oak has blown up.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.